Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 21,087 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a born and raised new yorker and I have been traveling to dallas quite frequently over the years to see friends and have fallen in love with the city. I really just love everything from the people to the big beautiful homes. To that end, I've decided that I would like to open my store in Dallas, however since Dallas is so spread out, I don't know where to go! My store is luxury furniture. Its stylish, fun, bright, colorful and glamorous. Any thoughts on good locations? Where would you all like to see a store like this that is convenient to you? What part of town is in need of a furniture store. So far I've been looking at Watters Creek in Allen, Shops at Willow bend and Shops at legacy. Any suggestions, comments will be greatly appreciated and helpful!

I'm also moving myself to Dallas and I would like to live in a hip cool neighborhood.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,608,113 times
Do you realize The Nebraska Furniture Mart is going to be opening a store in The Colony? You will have strong competition with this major retailer in addition to the wonderful furniture stores we already have here especially in the Galleria, Dallas areas. You need to do some better market research than asking us......

You might think about something on the west side serving Southlake, Roanoke, NW Fort Worth/Keller because there is new home construction and its an affluent area not so readily accessible to The Colony. There are some higher end stores in Southlake that serve that area like Starpower, and also Stonecraft Mantels is opening a showroom in Southlake....so that might be something to look into.

Last edited by Squirl; 03-07-2013 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: adding comment

Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,327,066 times
A huge furniture store is building a 400 acre plus development in The Colony which will open 2015. Nebraska Furniture outlet is the store. They carry almost all brands of furniture and will be tough competition in the far north suburbs at least. You have been visiting where did you see you thought your luxury hip store would compete well? Sounds like a location near the uptown area might be your market. However, I recommend getting some market research then come look at the competition in various areas to decide where to go. I doubt we can provide a lot of useful information for locating a store in this market.

Your competition can include high end consignment stores. The downsize trend has made high end furniture which is litely used available in both Far North Dallas and west Plano. Most of their inventory is classical designs not contemporary furniture but it is a trend to be aware of as you look at your competition. Closer to DT and north of there sounds like your market/potential location.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 03-07-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,435,866 times
Inwood Village may be a prime location for this. Rent is probably fairly high.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,114,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Inwood Village may be a prime location for this. Rent is probably fairly high.
That's what I'm thinking.

OP, most of the people moving into CoCo are moving into much larger homes than they previously had and therefore they are more economical when furnishing. Hence, the success of Ikea, Ashley, Stacey and the new Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Not a lot of beautiful antiques or really nice custom, luxury furniture being bought there- and people who do enjoy that thing don't drive to Plano to go furniture shopping. They do it in the Dallas Design District, Knox-Henderson, or other small shopping centers in the heart of Dallas. Timothy Oulton just opened a store in Knox-Henderson and I've heard their sales figures have blown all estimates out of the water!

Go where your customers are; not necessarily where all the new homes are being built. Counter-intuitive, but true.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,390,555 times
The Design District, Knox/Henderson or Inwood Village if you are legitimately luxury. If your market is mainly McMansion suburbanites, then Legacy, Eldorado plaza, Willow Bend or any other outdoor mall with a steakhouse and a theater would likely suffice.
Looking for a hip, cool area to live? nothing north of 635 is the short answer.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Do you realize The Nebraska Furniture Mart is going to be opening a store in The Colony? You will have strong competition with this major retailer in addition to the wonderful furniture stores we already have here especially in the Galleria, Dallas areas. You need to do some better market research than asking us......

You might think about something on the west side serving Southlake, Roanoke, NW Fort Worth/Keller because there is new home construction and its an affluent area not so readily accessible to The Colony. There are some higher end stores in Southlake that serve that area like Starpower, and also Stonecraft Mantels is opening a showroom in Southlake....so that might be something to look into.

Are you joking? First of all, The Nebraska Furniture Mart is NOT on the same level as my store and they do NOT sell the same type of furniture I sell. YUCK! Thats like comparing Sears to Neiman Marcus. I can't even believe you mentioned a low end furniture store as competition to a luxury store. We do not carry the same brands. The brands they carry are along the lines of broyhill and lazyboy - Big box crap and ugly. Did you NOT read that I have a LUXURY store? Not some cheap big box store selling you walmart type crap...

I don't think you even know what your talking about quite frankly because

You mention "wonderful furniture stores" in the Galleria but um excuse me but have you been to the Galleria recently? What furniture stores are in there? The only "wonderful" furniture store in the Galleria is Pottery Barn. How about you do your research.

You also said the Dallas area...There is only the knox henderson section that all the furniture stores and maybe the design district but if you live all the way in frisco, plano, allen, mckinney what luxury furniture store is close by? Oh The Nebraska Furniture Mart is luxury to you? LOL

If all Dallas is interested in is Big Box stores selling you the same ol same ol then fine but I hear differently. Most of my customers are in Dallas, hence why I decided to bring the store here. You think I'd be a successful business owner had I not done research? Allen, Plano, Frisco is lacking any real luxury furniture stores. Name one luxury retail furniture store if you can that is located there.... I'll wait.

...and if you think the Nebraska furniture mart is luxury - YOU are not my customer.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,435,866 times
The main reason Frisco, Plano, Allen, McKinney do not have "luxury" furniture stores is because most of that population is not going to pay for "luxury" furniture. Don't get so defensive, I like how you clinged onto the one negative post and didn't mention any of the positive. I honestly think Inwood Village is your best bet. It's fairly large with higher end stores that market to the UP/HP area and it is not going to be as expensive to rent as the Preston Center, HP Village or Snider Plaza areas.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,327,066 times
OP I hope your customer service has better people skills and communication skills than you appear to have.

Relax, no one is saying Nebraska furniture outlet is a luxury store but the higher end brands they carry are not competing with Ikea nor Ashley either.

I see a clear trend in this part of the country - luxury furniture stores have gone out of business due to competition they looked down upon like you do. Suniland use to dominate higher end furniture in Houston but a store like NFM owned by the same Warren Buffet's company is whom I credit as they have grown and Suniland shrunk. I am sure changing economic conditions have a big part too.

Luxury consignment stores do compete for some clients you might want to view as yours.

Asking a site like this for location for your store tells me you are pretty amateurish.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
That's what I'm thinking.

OP, most of the people moving into CoCo are moving into much larger homes than they previously had and therefore they are more economical when furnishing. Hence, the success of Ikea, Ashley, Stacey and the new Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Not a lot of beautiful antiques or really nice custom, luxury furniture being bought there- and people who do enjoy that thing don't drive to Plano to go furniture shopping. They do it in the Dallas Design District, Knox-Henderson, or other small shopping centers in the heart of Dallas. Timothy Oulton just opened a store in Knox-Henderson and I've heard their sales figures have blown all estimates out of the water!

Go where your customers are; not necessarily where all the new homes are being built. Counter-intuitive, but true.
My customers are in North Dallas. How do I know this? Because I have an online store with google analytics, our research and analytics team to prove it... along with our sales. We saw that North Dallas ranked # 3 on our list with California # 2 and New York # 1. So I don't think its that people don't want to buy luxury furniture in North Dallas, its that its not accessible to them.

Timothy Oulton looks like he uses the same supplier as Restoration Hardware. Oh just did a google check. He's a designer for them. I'd like to see those sales figures you heard about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas