Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

12 posts, read 50,663 times

Advertisements

We currently live up in Little Elm and my husband has been commuting to 75/Walnut Hill for the past 5 years. The commute is hard, no matter which route is taken. We ended up in LE because we were originally working in Frisco and Plano, so the commute wasn't so bad.

Fast forward a little: job changes, housing market, baby.....

We realize that moving closer "to town" will save commute time, gas, tolls and vehicle wear/tear so we are looking forward to these perks and savings.

Coming from a LE starter home, we also know that we've had lower property taxes due to location and home value so we expect to feel a pinch when moving into civilization. Yes, it's worth it in order to have the amenities of Dallas; I just wanted to educate myself during this process.

We won't qualify for some of the exemptions mentioned here, but it's good information.

Your responses have been very helpful in getting my head wrapped around the different taxes for each area. I recently saw a home for sale that is in Dallas, Collin County, West Plano Schools and this generally makes more sense now that I have all of your input. I've also learned that a Richardson address may have Richardson, Dallas or Garland schools, right depending on location? I'm looking for my gold star, or a least a little silver one for my forehead. :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoor678 View Post
We currently live up in Little Elm and my husband has been commuting to 75/Walnut Hill for the past 5 years. The commute is hard, no matter which route is taken. We ended up in LE because we were originally working in Frisco and Plano, so the commute wasn't so bad.

Fast forward a little: job changes, housing market, baby.....

We realize that moving closer "to town" will save commute time, gas, tolls and vehicle wear/tear so we are looking forward to these perks and savings.

Coming from a LE starter home, we also know that we've had lower property taxes due to location and home value so we expect to feel a pinch when moving into civilization. Yes, it's worth it in order to have the amenities of Dallas; I just wanted to educate myself during this process.

We won't qualify for some of the exemptions mentioned here, but it's good information.

Your responses have been very helpful in getting my head wrapped around the different taxes for each area. I recently saw a home for sale that is in Dallas, Collin County, West Plano Schools and this generally makes more sense now that I have all of your input. I've also learned that a Richardson address may have Richardson, Dallas or Garland schools, right depending on location? I'm looking for my gold star, or a least a little silver one for my forehead. :P
I don't think that's true. If anything it's the other way around.

Here's how I understand it. All addresses in Richardson that are in Dallas County are zoned to Richardson schools. All addresses in Richardson that are in Collin County are zoned to Plano schools. You might want to check with the ISD, but that's the situation as I've heard it.

There are parts of Dallas zoned to Richardson schools. I don't know exactly where the cutoff is, but it seems like all or most of 75248 and 75240 are RISD. I think 75252 is Plano or Carrollton; can't remember which. I don't think that part of FND is DISD. I know of only one DISD school north of LBJ and that's an elementary school; I know some parts of Prestonwood are zoned to Hillcrest of all places, even though W.T. White is closer, and I think parts of Addison are zoned to DISD.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think that's true. If anything it's the other way around.

Here's how I understand it. All addresses in Richardson that are in Dallas County are zoned to Richardson schools. All addresses in Richardson that are in Collin County are zoned to Plano schools. You might want to check with the ISD, but that's the situation as I've heard it.

There are parts of Dallas zoned to Richardson schools. I don't know exactly where the cutoff is, but it seems like all or most of 75248 and 75240 are RISD. I think 75252 is Plano or Carrollton; can't remember which. I don't think that part of FND is DISD. I know of only one DISD school north of LBJ and that's an elementary school; I know some parts of Prestonwood are zoned to Hillcrest of all places, even though W.T. White is closer, and I think parts of Addison are zoned to DISD.
Parts of Dallas are RISD. None of Richardson is DISD. All of 75243 and 75238 are Dallas address and RISD schools (bulk is Lake Highlands, parts of 75243 are Berkner). 75251 is zoned Richardson High School as are the eastern parts of 75240 and 75248. Some of 75248 is also zoned Pearce. 75252 is zone Plano West. 75287 is split between Plano West and Carrollton Newman-Smith.

All of Addison is zoned DISD (White) with the exception of the apartments south of Spring Valley. There are 3 DISD elementary schools north of LBJ. Bush in Addison and Junkins off Marsh are zoned White. Anne Frank is on the east side of the Tollway and is zoned Hillcrest.

Geography lesson out of the way, if I was looking to spend $250K and have a short commute to Walnut Hill and Central. I'd look first at Lake Highlands Elementary and then at the Pearce feeders.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Parts of Dallas are RISD. None of Richardson is DISD. All of 75243 and 75238 are Dallas address and RISD schools (bulk is Lake Highlands, parts of 75243 are Berkner). 75251 is zoned Richardson High School as are the eastern parts of 75240 and 75248. Some of 75248 is also zoned Pearce. 75252 is zone Plano West. 75287 is split between Plano West and Carrollton Newman-Smith.

All of Addison is zoned DISD (White) with the exception of the apartments south of Spring Valley. There are 3 DISD elementary schools north of LBJ. Bush in Addison and Junkins off Marsh are zoned White. Anne Frank is on the east side of the Tollway and is zoned Hillcrest.

Geography lesson out of the way, if I was looking to spend $250K and have a short commute to Walnut Hill and Central. I'd look first at Lake Highlands Elementary and then at the Pearce feeders.
I keep forgetting about Lake Highlands.

You pretty much confirmed what I thought about zoning north of LBJ; I don't know the specifics since I don't have kids and don't care all that much but it's nice to know from a trivia standpoint.

I didn't know there was more than one DISD elementary north of LBJ; I only knew about Frank on Montfort. You learn something new every day!

I'd consider the Richardson High School feeder pattern before Lake Highlands for school quality; the elementary schools in LH are fine, but I've heard the high school isn't very good. RHS has a better reputation and outperforms LH on paper. LH does offer an easier commute, but I commute from southwestern Richardson (near Belt Line and 75) to Walnut Hill and 75 every day and it's a short commute. It takes less than 20 minutes in the morning and usually less than 15 mins in the afternoon.

Plus, it's easier to find nice sub-$250k real estate in Richardson Heights/Heights Park than it is in the Pearce feeder pattern. Not easy, but easier.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It takes less than 20 minutes in the morning and usually less than 15 mins in the afternoon.
This sounds like a dream! It takes us about 15 minutes just to get to the DNT.

Thanks for correcting me on the DISD - Richardson connection.

I've been impressed by the Heights Park neighborhood and similar areas on the west side. A little scared to take on ownership of an older home, but definitely charmed by the character of the more mature area of Richardson.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
This sounds like a dream! It takes us about 15 minutes just to get to the DNT.

Thanks for correcting me on the DISD - Richardson connection.

I've been impressed by the Heights Park neighborhood and similar areas on the west side. A little scared to take on ownership of an older home, but definitely charmed by the character of the more mature area of Richardson.
Older homes have quirks for sure but I have owned a time capsule home in Heights Park that has had very little done to it cosmetically since it was built in 1957. Almost all of the fixtures and surfaces are original, including a nearly 60 year-old cork floor. Cork floors aren't supposed to last that long.

I replaced my house's windows in 2010; when I bought it, it still had the original aluminum frame windows. The first winter in that house was miserable because the old windows were very drafty and inefficient. Changing the windows was worth every penny. Aside from that I haven't had any hugely expensive projects, though I'm looking down the barrel of some necessary and pricey drainage work. That has nothing to do with the age of the property, though.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM

162 posts, read 303,659 times
I moved here from east coast and find this irrational fear of "older" houses hilarious.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
I moved here from east coast and find this irrational fear of "older" houses hilarious.
My concern regards budgeting for costly repairs, which is a reasonable factor to consider when buying any home. I would have similar concerns if I were planning to buy an older car that would likely need repairs. You are right, it's hilarious.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 AM

162 posts, read 303,659 times
Quote:
My concern regards budgeting for costly repairs, which is a reasonable factor to consider when buying any home. I would have similar concerns if I were planning to buy an older car that would likely need repairs. You are right, it's hilarious.
I agree but for $700k all I get is a patio home in the area I'm looking in, that or I move to an exurb with 20 min extra on each lag of commute and compromise on school standard. If I buy a nicely maintained upgraded older home in area of my liking then I get a bigger lot, shorter commute, sort after schools, spacious house for $550k. Even if I have to spend $50k over a period of 5-10 years, still I save myself $100K and compromise of buying in area I don't want to live in and lot is bigger.

Same thing with cars, if you buy a nicely maintained three year old merc or bimmer than you don't see any problems you won't get with new honda.

If you buy an old dump or an old clunker than that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas