Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 AM

287 posts, read 516,988 times

Advertisements

I am talking about structural issues that come up more in Texas than in NY/NJ, where I come from. Things such as foundation issues due to heat, irrigation, A/C and roofing issues due to summer heat, etc.

Here is a list that someone sent me, which contains things we don't have to deal with in the northeast:

Newer the better 2006 or later (Technological advantages much more/more efficient)
Radiant heat barriers
Ultra ray protection on windows
Tank less water heater
6 “ insulation barrier
Some spec homes “guarantee” how big electric bill will be
Pipes in wall for pest control (Scorpions, red ants and rodents). They shoot bug killer this way.
Make sure no one owns property around you so they cannot drill for oil.

We are looking in Plano 75024 and Coppell. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
I am talking about structural issues that come up more in Texas than in NY/NJ, where I come from. Things such as foundation issues due to heat, irrigation, A/C and roofing issues due to summer heat, etc.

Here is a list that someone sent me, which contains things we don't have to deal with in the northeast:

Newer the better 2006 or later (Technological advantages much more/more efficient)
Radiant heat barriers
Tank less water heater
6 “ insulation barrier
Pipes in wall for pest control (Scorpions, red ants and rodents). They shoot bug killer this way.

Yes, this list sounds pretty comprehensive, but some of the realtors here will know exactly what to look for. I would put an emphsis on one of the things in your list, which is what I refer to as Future Land use. You always want to know who owns what land and what it is zoned for around your property. This is most important in towns that aren't close to being built out yet. Town Hall should have a zoning map or on their website, some towns even have drilling overlays.

I would add builder reputation to this list if you build new.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:

Radiant heat barriers
Tank less water heater
6 “ insulation barrier

Newer = more energy efficient: Not always. Some updated older homes can be more efficient than newer builds depending on the types of updates performed and the materials used.

Radiant barrier: Some people report severe mobile phone/wi-fi signal interference with radiant barriers.

Coated windows: This is a given. However, some older homes will have more energy-efficient windows than new builds depending on the materials used. Some new builds have crappy, inefficient, builder-grade windows.

Tankless water heater: Overrated.

Insulation: Go as thick as you can without promoting mold growth, but a new build is not guaranteed to have sufficient insulation.

Electric bill guarantee: I wouldn't trust that guarantee.

Pipes in wall for pest control: I have never heard of this ever. I live in an older home and do not have problems with bugs in my house. I have never seen ants or scorpions (LOL) in my house, ever.

Drilling rights: That's not something we concern ourselves with in this part of DFW. YMMV. Personally I wouldn't buy a house in any part of town where they're fracking for natural gas.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Quote:
I have never seen ants or scorpions (LOL) in my house, ever.
Scorpions (and huge centipedes -worst thing ever) in houses are a west/central texas thing. In DFW, you only have to watch out for Scorpions on the Eagle.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Scorpions (and huge centipedes -worst thing ever) in houses are a west/central texas thing. In DFW, you only have to watch out for Scorpions on the Eagle.
I saw scorpions in Austin, but they weren't big. In DFW I'd be more worried about fire ants and water bugs (big giant shiny crunchy cockroaches).

Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
What is your price range ? Many of the features you mention are found only in newer homes. Coppell and Plano will be older homes (in most cases) and not have these features unless you get into the higher price ranges.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,164 times
I've only seen one scorpion in DFW that was in my house in Prosper in the early 2000s. It was probably about 3". I've never seen such weird bugs/lizards/critters in a house as I did when I lived there though, so take that into consideration.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM

440 posts, read 866,819 times
Quote:

Radiant heat barriers
Tank less water heater
6 “ insulation barrier

And possums! They're ugly looking things! We did get extra insulation in our house-we get house treated every 6 months for bugs-not structural but you should also check property taxes and hoa's (if any) dues/rules-these vary so much ......and the difference can be significant ...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM

287 posts, read 516,988 times
@Rakin, price range is up to $350K.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that a lot of what we are being told i about this has to do with brokers wanting to sell new construction....stealthy!

Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
@Rakin, price range is up to $350K.

Thanks for the replies. It seems that a lot of what we are being told i about this has to do with brokers wanting to sell new construction....stealthy!
Not really.. there is a lot to be said for an energy efficient home. Problem is in areas like Coppell and Plano in the $350k price range you'll probably be looking at a 8-15 year old home. Back in the 90's they built a lot of very high open 30' style ceilings, these homes do not have the latest and greatest energy efficiencies.

You want an high energy efficient home under $350k ? It probably will not be in Coppell or Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas