Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:00 PM

709 posts, read 3,465,842 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your explanation. I guess I read too much into it. I agree with you if you are leaving one place because of a particular issue only to go to another place likely to be similar, then Texas might not be the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,260 times
First of all, you do not want your husband to teach in Dallas. I have lived in North Texas my entire life, and I am also a teacher. When I applied for my first teaching job in the early 90's, I wouldn't even consider Dallas ISD. I've taught in Coppell, Carrollton, and Frisco. They are probably more of what you are looking for.

As far as a family of 4 living off of a teacher's salary, I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to be really, really, really good at budgeting.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,618,592 times
although there are probably schools in DISD that teachers find good schools, if your husband is seeking a less stressful teaching environment he probably would not want to apply at DISD or FTWISD or AISD or GPISD...it is just a fact that more desireable districts mean less turnover, fewer openings, tighter highing hurdles...
You can go to greatschools and search the student ratio of ethnicity and apply to those districts you find desireable--

Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,056,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnow View Post
First of all, you do not want your husband to teach in Dallas. I have lived in North Texas my entire life, and I am also a teacher. When I applied for my first teaching job in the early 90's, I wouldn't even consider Dallas ISD. I've taught in Coppell, Carrollton, and Frisco. They are probably more of what you are looking for.

As far as a family of 4 living off of a teacher's salary, I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to be really, really, really good at budgeting.
If you have never taught there, how do you know?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,768,856 times
Quote:
Originally posted by galore >
Teaching has got to be one of the most underestimated and most difficult jobs out there. And it is definitely underpaid.
Amen to that, galore!

And, you ask if a teacher make can make it in Dallas?

What I can tell you is that my daughter also teaches here in Texas... and if it wasn't for the extra stipend she gets for coaching, she wouldn't be able to afford herself!

Really do your research on the pros/cons of moving, the Texas Certification needed and the funds available for housing for you as was mentioned before (excellent advice, hold on to your savings!). Also, if you're not a homeowner currently, you may be eligible for one of the 1st-Time Home Buyers Incentives that are offered by many of the cities/counties.

Good luck!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2007 at 07:19 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If you have never taught there, how do you know?
I have had friends who have taught there, and they've all said the same thing. It's terrible. They've all left to teach in other districts. Not only that, but having lived in the Dallas area my entire life, I've seen and heard enough to know.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 PM

there are some schools in DISD that are probably great schools based on how happy the individual teachers are working there--but Dallas is a hugh district and just from the time I spent teaching in Houston ISD many years ago and in HEB where I took early retirement--most "good" schools in large metro districts with large numbers of low socio-economic students are few and far between....

most teachers and other staff would tell you that it is an extremely diffucult job with little payback most of the time...people lucky enought to work in one of the better schools would never want to leave so there are few vacancies--in other, more troubled, demanding schools, there are usually plenty of vacancies from people who either leave teaching althogether or managed to get a job in a "better" district...
it is no secret that one reason the state opened the teacher-certification program allowing people with just a college degree to get a "work/study" certification in education was to help districts like Dallas who were having a terrible time getting even college-educated subs in the classroom...the recession did more to help educatin because it made it difficult for people with college educations to get viable jobs with health insurance--that is one reason many people tried teaching--it would be nice to know if there is a better success ration with teachers who started their education careers via that way instead of the college/education degrree/student teaching way...how many are left after 5 years which seems to be a major break point...is there any way to tell?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

990 posts, read 2,295,981 times
wow, if the teachers are thinking like this then poor kids will never make it.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:14 AM

rantanamo--you have obviously never taught in any classroom--much less one in a school with low socio-economic, ESL and high level of learning difficulties--student body-

a teacher have have good skills, the best intentions and desire in the world to make a difference in the lives of students and if there is not capable and committed support staff on ALL levels, enough funding, appropriate and energizing curricula, and parent/student support--it gets old quickly...
before you criticize a teacher for transferring to a different teaching environment, try it yourself...

Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,056,723 times
I am in regular contact (almost once per week) with my former teachers and they love/loved teaching in our schools in the Lakewood area. I also know 7-8 of my contemporaries who returned to teach in the same schools. I am glad I had the dedicated, loving kind of teachers who are not negative-nellies who would write-off 160,000 kids and 220 schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas