U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,216 times

Advertisements

Hey, great input so far, thanks so much. Txgolfer130, thanks for pool cost input. I'll definitely have to look more into that. I heard that water can get a little expensive in Texas, right now I don't pay anything for water, as it's included in my rent in Manhattan. Any rough idea as to monthly/yearly water costs for pools down there?

Fgwite, good point in regards to jobs, would def not move down there without having that in order first. Will check out the turtle creek area.

Mr. Chad, thanks for your input too. Def would be good to visit first, we're planing on heading down there for a trip sometime in the fall to check out the area.

TurtleCreek80, great input too, thanks so much. Very fair point in regards to no state income tax vs house prices. We'll probably end up saving more in the income tax (~300k combined income) then what we would spend more on the higher property taxes.

Does anyone know how Dallas real estate has fared through the housing crisis etc?

Thanks so much everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM

681 posts, read 1,396,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattancouple View Post
Hey, great input so far, thanks so much. Txgolfer130, thanks for pool cost input. I'll definitely have to look more into that. I heard that water can get a little expensive in Texas, right now I don't pay anything for water, as it's included in my rent in Manhattan. Any rough idea as to monthly/yearly water costs for pools down there?

Fgwite, good point in regards to jobs, would def not move down there without having that in order first. Will check out the turtle creek area.

Mr. Chad, thanks for your input too. Def would be good to visit first, we're planing on heading down there for a trip sometime in the fall to check out the area.

TurtleCreek80, great input too, thanks so much. Very fair point in regards to no state income tax vs house prices. We'll probably end up saving more in the income tax (~300k combined income) then what we would spend more on the higher property taxes.

Does anyone know how Dallas real estate has fared through the housing crisis etc?

Thanks so much everyone!
I've visited in the winter, spring, and the dead of summer. I think its a good idea to experience the summers there if possible. In the winters it can get as cold as NYC, but the summers are way more brutal than NYC summers from what I hear. But one thing I do appreciate is that for the most part the winters there are pretty mild.

As for housing my wife and I are hoping to get a 1 family detached private home in the 150-200K range. For us and our needs a house of this size and price range is sufficient...anything bigger than that is just too big an unnecessary.

Good luck to you guys!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:58 PM

6,579 posts, read 8,114,719 times
Texas real estate has rebounded price and demand wise. It wasnt a long rebound as we did not see the huge bubble that both coasts and fla saw. We have more jobs in DFW area now than in 2007 so things are pretty much back to pre bust levels. It is not common and in fact is difficult to take cash out of a home in re financing which helped keep us more immune to the bubble this time around. A good economy is great for jobs and real estate so they go hand in hand as a general trend more so or less so depending on the location.

Water costs in Plano..... reflected in my 2 years experience run about $225/month but that is the total bill for water not the pool only. I spend around $200/month for cleaning/chemicals and maintenance.

I lived in N.NJ for 6 years and agree you wont find much similar to NYC in DFW. If jobs and a god economy are important to you, Tx will be your choice over fla. We still manufacture thins in Texas, we are not a nimby state as some are.

Come on down after you get a job or jobs as this is an easy positive place to live for what is important to me.

While people complain about the summers being hot and they are, I like playing golf year around and can for the most part in DFW. Every now and then it is too cold in the winters but play golf through the summers...not great to be out but worth it in my values.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM

11,973 posts, read 22,298,347 times
Prices dipped about 20-30% in most central areas / closer-in suburbs, probably a bit more in the far out subdivisions that were left unfinished in 2007-8 and suffered a lot of foreclosures.

The good news is that our rebound started last January (2012) in the best central areas (Park Cities, Lakewood, Preston Hollow/ Devonshire/ Bluffview) and continued to spread throughout 2012. The market in many areas is H-O-T right now, with homes being sold without ever getting into the listing service. In many neifhborboods, if a home goes on the market and sits for more than 1 week, there is something wrong with it or it is severely overpriced. Many areas are within 10% or less to their summer 2007 highs right now.

In the further out suburbs, new construction is underway with lot prices increasing every few months and even spec homes being built again for the first time in nearly 5 years.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM

89 posts, read 105,582 times
Highly recommend renting for at least 6 months, get jobs, explore various areas, socialize with the people, figure out your preferences. You will want to spend at least half the summer renting before you buy. Keep in mind that while there is generally a good breeze in Dallas but that breeze unfortunately dies in July and August, just when you need it. It picks up again in late September. And if either of you have environmental allergies...well, let just say that Claritan will be your new best friend.

Lots of folks are from up north but finding them isn't easy as Dallas is very spread out.

The main thing is not to look at cost deltas alone. Keep in mind where your family and friends are and that unless those folks are in Texas it will be a 3 hour plane ride to see them, plus an our to get to DFW, plus DHS/security time. True, DFW is terrific and they are renovating Love Field but there is a little nuance called the Wright Amendment at Love. It will only be an issue for another year and only adds another 30-45 minutes to any Southwest flight (to allow the plane to stop at one of the five adjoining states before proceeding) but those stops can get tiresome.

The shopping, especially for women's clothes is terrific. Well, not as good as Manhattan terrific but still pretty good.

Water and property taxes are very expensive. Two years ago during the drought a friend paid about $600/mo to keep his front lawn (a smallish one at that) alive. Property taxes pay for the school systems and somewhat make up for a lack of a state income tax. Be mindful of the property tax rates when you buy. Some areas will have a slightly lower tax rate but the average entry price to buy is quite high.

Also, Texas is one of those states where the utilities are not regulated. That means you will pick your electrical supplier. There is alot of confusion over rates, etc, which keep changing so it makes comparisions difficult.

Oh...and tornados/hail storms. Make certain whatever you rent has AT LEAST covered parking for all of your vehicles. After every storm there will be at least a few cars that have been reduced to looking like overgrown golf balls on wheels. The various cities sound the air raid alarms when a tornado is approaching. That also means you should locate in advance what area(s) of your home are the safest places to ride it out in. Include your pets. Grab whatever cover you can when you hear the sirens.

If either of you into history then Dallas may not be the best place. In general, the big D likes new. As in new homes, new cars, new architecture, new clothing, new household tschotkes, new whatever. Vintage anything doesn't do too well there. If you like history, a side trip to San Antonio may be in order. There are some lovely residences by various famous architects but you have to seek these out. There are a few exception to this: a lovely hotel downtown with The French Room (and yes, I would go there on a Wednesday night for their $50 special...once), and yes there is the School Book Depository for old (and infamous) architecture but in general Dallas prefers new. The steak is worth but just because it comes from up the road doesn't mean you'll see a reduction in the menu's price. Still, worth it.

Texas-Ex

Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM

718 posts, read 1,144,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Texas real estate has rebounded price and demand wise. It wasnt a long rebound as we did not see the huge bubble that both coasts and fla saw. We have more jobs in DFW area now than in 2007 so things are pretty much back to pre bust levels. It is not common and in fact is difficult to take cash out of a home in re financing which helped keep us more immune to the bubble this time around. A good economy is great for jobs and real estate so they go hand in hand as a general trend more so or less so depending on the location.

Water costs in Plano..... reflected in my 2 years experience run about $225/month but that is the total bill for water not the pool only. I spend around $200/month for cleaning/chemicals and maintenance.
$225 per month in Plano ? Are you kidding ? For a family of 4 , a yard and a pool and a 2700 sqf house , the maximum we ever paid was $130 in summer and once $ 150 when we emptied and refilled our pool. And we really don't look at our water consumption . In the winter month it runs around $90.
We calculated that between the chemicals , the electricity and maintenance , we spend no more than $1200 per year , it's still very reasonable for such a luxury . The water cost for the pool is extremely cheap .

Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Great input guys, really appreciate all the great things said so far. $600 bucks a month in the summer to water the lawn seems pretty high, you sure that's right TulipGrl? Good point on the different property tax counties, I have looked into that, and there are some lists with the highest, vs. the lowest prop tax rates, per county around Dallas.

Souleiado, $130 doesn't seem to bad, and $1,200 a year seems pretty reasonable for the pool luxury.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,560,760 times
Yea the 600 a month is outrageous. It obviously depends on lot size, but I spend maybe 100 a month on water and I water twice a week(thats all you're allowed to water in Dallas County).

Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,957,394 times
I know a couple from NYC. I kid them all the time. Here is your next 12 years in so many words.

Move to Texas. Buy a house. Shop at Costco. Have four kids. Buy a gun. Vote for Bush. LOL.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 AM

And buy a truck?? I'm already budgeting for the Hummer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or