Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM

350 posts, read 749,143 times

Advertisements

Huffman used to be overcrowded (I think they had to use portable classrooms. Yikes.), but last year the board rezoned some of its territory to other elementaries, so that's all taken care of. I don't anticipate another rezoning anytime soon, so I think that feeder should stay the same.

I believe Huffman does has a larger percentage of free/reduced lunch stundets there, and that scares away some parents who don't want their kids to be around poorer kids, but it seems the school still does quite well. Barksdale (as well as nearby Centennial) both feed Renner, Shepton, and Plano West, so it's not much of a difference, especially since you're only going to be there for one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

287 posts, read 517,042 times
Thanks. Where are these free lunch kids coming from since there didn't seem to be such a high number just a few years ago? (Per schooldigger.com)

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

172 posts, read 355,589 times
I have been to some homes in there and there are some with lovely plans,wonderful updates and upgrades. I think things vary from house to house. Still, its a lovely neighborhood. You can find younger and newer homes near Barksdale as that area was built much later.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

350 posts, read 749,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
Thanks. Where are these free lunch kids coming from since there didn't seem to be such a high number just a few years ago? (Per schooldigger.com)
Quite honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I think a lot came from apartments just south of the Bush Turnpike, but a lot of that area was rezoned to Haggar elementary a year ago, so there might not be as much anymore. I'm trying to think of other lower income areas that would feed to Huffman, but none come to mind.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM

They are coming from Dallas portion of PISD but with rezoning those students were distributed with Haggar so student body is smaller now and things would be more aligned with rest of the district.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM

262 posts, read 564,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama View Post
They are coming from Dallas portion of PISD but with rezoning those students were distributed with Haggar so student body is smaller now and things would be more aligned with rest of the district.
Only one complex was moved to Haggar. Two complexes west of the tollway were moved to Brinker. There are still several complexes left at Huffman. Not sure what the demographics at those schools are now, but would love to find out. The only numbers I can find are pre-move.

Most of the lower income students are coming from apartments that once were nice but as they've aged have seen demographic changes that subsequntly affect the schools. I think this is where some of the stigma from "apartment kids" in West Plano comes from. In my opinion the district didn't really solve the problem, just shifted it to other campuses. Time will tell. You could check into transferring your kids to Centennial for next year (Barksdale and Brinker are closed to transfers in the fall).

Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM

District can't send poor kids back to Dallas. We have to accommodate them.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Op, there is no way I'm sending my kid to Huffman (which cheezes me off considering how much $$$ I pay in property taxes) - he will go to Greenhill unless the apartment thing is sorted out - but from what I have seen around here, this has not affected property values or how fast inventory moves.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM

It's not a bad school, PISD is trying their best to bring it to same level as Barksdale, Brinker and Centennial. Parents are already appreciating the results of shuffle and downsizing. I am glad that I bought in Barksdale area, my child is having an awesome experience.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM

287 posts, read 517,042 times
Thank you all! We have crossed Huffman and Steeplechase off of our list. Seems too dicey for real estate value purposes. Also, the houses we were looking at were from the 1980s which, on second thought, are indeed too old for our liking. I absolutely love this thread for getting honest and quick responses...thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: