Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM

50 posts, read 85,329 times

Advertisements

Hi,

After a series of events and careful thought, I have decided to return to my original plan to attend UTA in the fall. My classes will be one day (all day) a week each semester. The program is one year.

I won't be going out to work during that time. I would prefer to live in Dallas (city). In the past, I thought about living in the Lakewood area because I heard a lot of good things about Lakewood elementary.

I would have a second grader and a four year old in August. I am currently paying $1300 for a 2 bedroom condo, and I would prefer something cheaper if possible.

So my questions are:

1. How do I go about renting a place? Craigslist or what? What do I do about proof of income? How do students rent places in Dallas?

2. Is the Lakewood area doable? If not suggestions?

3. What would the commute be like?

UTA have apartments and houses as a last resort, but since I only need to attend school one day a week, I would love to live in the city and enjoy all that Dallas has to offer.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,484,069 times
Lakewood is in East Dallas, while UT Arlington is near Ft. Worth. Your one-way commute on a *good* day would be more than an hour.

Advice would be to live near UTA while you are in school -- especially with little kids. Once you are out of school, you can relocate to Lakewood/East Dallas.

Landlords around a college are more likely to work with you over your student status, gaps in employment and income, etc.

I've always found this site helpfull in apartment searches; you might check with the UTA housing office for a list of apartments in the area as well.

www.padmapper.com

Best of luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM

179 posts, read 556,089 times
Lakewood is too far, IMHO. There are places in Arlington and Grand Prairie that would be much closer and have decent schools that would work for your kids. Also, $1300/mo won't rent much of anything in Lakewood. I grew up in Grand Prairie (far north side.) There are decent elementary schools in the area, you just need to do some research.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
Maybe Fort Worth would be an option in the area served by Tanglewood Elementary. Similar vibe to Lakewood and better commute. However the budget might be a problem. Look on trulia.com or zillow.com

Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,466,809 times
Lakewood is an option, since your only attending UTA one day a week. I would do it, because Arlington doesn't offer anything that's important to you. Lakewood elementary is a lot better than the schools in Arlington, and you won't find the community vibe or the atmosphere your seeking anywhere in tarrant county. Check out power properties, but make sure anything you lease is zoned to the righ school. Where's lakewooder? He's the expert on that area.

*Update*
http://edgeatwhiterock.com/contact/

Meets the budget, Lakewood elementary, says 5 minutes to interstate 30, and looks like you could walk to white rock lake!

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-25-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I just thought since school would be one day a week, I would enjoy the city better.

My first semester, classes would be on Wednesdays, in the spring classes would be on Thursday. Obviously I know my budget may be a problem for the nicer areas. Hopefully I will be able to figure this out from all the suggestions.

Last edited by Joyfulheart; 03-25-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: error

Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
I think it's going to be difficult to find a home in that area for 1300 or less with 2+ bedrooms. The only place I found in the area that feeds into Lakewood Elementary with 3 bedrooms is 2200 a month and it looks run down.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,622,042 times
Just FYI, my grandkid attends Butler Elementary School in Arlington and her parents are happy with that school. Its pretty close to UTA.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Just wanted to add that I am not dead set on Lakewood elementary. Any decent school in a reasonably safe neighborhood in East Dallas would work too. I think I heard about Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
Stonewall is good as well, but its is a smaller group of houses. Seems to be more apartments.

Pretty good little tool:

Demographic Studies / SchoolSite Locator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas