U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 PM

15 posts, read 26,124 times

Advertisements

Our son got into a few schools for Pre-K. We are trying to decide between ESD or Lamplighter. Have read up quite a bit, including these boards (silently), about scandals, etc. so know quite a bit about both schools. But want to know what you would decide if you had this choice, and why? Or even better if you made this choice in the past, and which way you chose. Hearing your thoughts may help us make up our minds, adjusting for what we know our son to be like (at the tender age of 4!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Both are top privates and quite selective. The first question that comes to mind is, what are your thoughts on a PreK-12 schools vs a PreK - 4? In theory, with ESD, you're done with the stress of private school admissions for good and your son is set at a very good school until he applies for college. With Lamplighter, you'll have to go through admissions all over again for grade 5, when I believe St Mark's and Cistercian are the only schools that have a good number of slots open for grade 5. St Mark's and Cistercian are both a notch or two up from ESD, but if he doesn't get into those and is already recorded as turning down ESD, he'll either end up at Greenhill or a school of a lesser caliber than any of those 4. Which in that case, should have locked in ESD during preK.

On the other hand, there is something to be said about the experience of switching schools. Helps kids build character and resilience by going through admissions and starting over in a new school for 5-12.

There's also the question of single sex vs coed education. Lamplighter does track a good % of their graduates into St Mark's. Less so Cistercian, but that's probably more a function of Cistercian's location and Lamplighter not being a Catholic school.

Lastly, did you feel more "at home" while visiting one school over another? Regardless of "rank", which one did you feel your son would fit in and thrive more in? That is really the most important thing; you have two fantastic choices and many area parents are envious of your situation!

I know what I would choose, but I may answer the above questions about one school vs changing schools, single sex v coed, etc differently so that really doesn't help you.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM

I didn't know Cistercian took in at 5th grade. Good to know.

Pre-K - 12 vs Pre-K - 5: Love the Pre-K -12 aspect. I changed schools a lot because of my dad's job so want some stability for the little 'un. But Pre-K - 5 and then a new school is not that disruptive. LOVE the idea of not applying again. Would be ironic if faced with an ESD choice in 5th grade - although we may not be offered a spot again if we turn this down.

Single-sex vs Co-ed: If we had a daughter I would prefer all-girls schools ( I went to all girls, and can argue pros and cons, but come down on the side of all-girls schools because of more leadership opportunities for girls in all-girls schools ). But with a boy, I could go either way.

At home in which school? Love both schools for many reasons.

ESD Lower is closer to us, if that is a factor. But does not seem to have robust after/before school programs (we are both working parents). What do working parents do at ESD for child care (apart from obvious choices of nanny, au pair, etc.)?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Leaning towards ESD at this point... anyone think that's a bad idea?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdorlamplighter View Post
Leaning towards ESD at this point... anyone think that's a bad idea?

I'm a private school parent myself, no ESD affiliation. I'd go ESD.

FWIIW Cistercian is grades 5-12.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks EDS_. That's probably what we'll do. Now we need to figure out before and after school care. Trying to avoid getting an au pair / nanny if possible. Any tips?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks EDS_. That's probably what we'll do. Now we need to figure out before and after school care. Trying to avoid getting an au pair / nanny if possible. Any tips?
Sorry not really. We had a nanny for several years FWiiW. I'd reach out to ESD's PTA or Parent Advisory Board and ask some moms for ideas.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry not really. We had a nanny for several years FWiiW. I'd reach out to ESD's PTA or Parent Advisory Board and ask some moms for ideas.
Good idea. Thanks, will do that. We had a nanny when he was younger, but preferred the socialization aspect of school. But we have friends who have great luck with au pairs, so might try that route, if all else fails. There must be other parents who face this dilemma, we cannot be the only dual-working parents at ESD.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Good idea. Thanks, will do that. We had a nanny when he was younger, but preferred the socialization aspect of school. But we have friends who have great luck with au pairs, so might try that route, if all else fails. There must be other parents who face this dilemma, we cannot be the only dual-working parents at ESD.
You'll find lots of dual working parents. All of this can become very stressful, just remember you are doing it for your kiddo and nothing else is as important.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM

Oh wait, ESD does have before and after school care!

http://www.esdallas.org/uploaded/201...OC_2012-13.pdf

Not sure how I missed this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or