U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 AM

82 posts, read 111,000 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed down our house hunting choices to the Highland Shores area, and Flower Mound. My current target neighborhood is near the community activity center in south FM because it has a large greenbelt and it's near great schools.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a few questions/concerns with FM.

#1 - I stumbled across some stories about fracking in FM and it turns out there's a well (Hilliard) very close to the schools and neighborhood I was looking at. Supposedly there was a cancer cluster in the FM area along with chemical spills etc. that had residents angry.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I have very little knowledge about fracking other than hearing conflicting reports on whether it is truly dangerous or not. I'm also not sure if FM has changed their stance on fracking in which case the whole thing may be a moot point.

#2 - I came down for a visit a week ago and while looking around in FM I did hear quite a bit of airplane noise. I wasn't paying close attention, but I definitely noticed it and the neighborhood we're looking at seems like it might be in a bad spot for noise.

Does this annoy anybody or do people get used to it pretty quickly?

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Yes, FM has a lot of airplane noise. Planes at DFW usually land from the north, which means they fly fairly low over FM during approach. The good thing is that the approach paths are quite defined, so not all of the city is under them.

Please inform yourself about fracking, and read the facts, not just opinions on the Internet.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM

23 posts, read 44,634 times
I live in the area you are targeting, near the CAC. The airplane noise is quite loud. It's not a deal breaker, but definitely audible throughout the day.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times
Don't know about fracking, but it is an issue that will come up in a lot of cities.

The airplane noise in the part north of the lake is negligible. I cant speak for other areas.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Where I live (Richardson) we are in the flight paths for Love Field and Addison airports. You get used to it.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM

81 posts, read 101,154 times
The study showed no evidence of a cancer cluster in Flower Mound. Study finds no cancer cluster in Flower Mound | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News . Flower Mound has some of the toughest anti fracking policies in place now. I have lived in Flower Mound for 13 years and the airplace noise is something you definitely get used to. I never notice it much anymore. Our first house in Flower Mound had more airplane noise than this current one. It seems like it's worse in the wintertime too.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
As an airline geek, I LOVE JET NOISE! (that actually comes from an old Air National Guard bumper sticker I saw many years ago). I wish that area was close to my work - I'd live out there in a heartbeat! But alas, it's not practical. I really do understand noise issues as some see (hear??) them, however.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 PM

82 posts, read 111,000 times
Thanks for the help everybody.

I've read up on the flight paths, and DFW did work to consolidate the paths (as ChristieP mentioned) so a smaller area would be affected. One of the main paths looks to go right over the area I was looking at so I'm going to just have to go and sit there for a while to see how loud it really is I guess. If it's too loud I'll drive a mile or two west and see if that makes a difference.

Morgan427 - Thanks for the info. It does seem like many of the reports were overblown and most of that drilling is over with at this point. I'm still going to do some research but it seems like if there were a big problem, FM residents would be making more noise like they did back in 2010/2011.

Here are the new flight paths if anyone is interested...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmvf View Post
Here are the new flight paths if anyone is interested...
That's pretty cool - what's the source? Is there a similar map for arrival paths? I monitor flightaware.com frequently, but I'd love to see an map of actual arrival corridors and flight paths as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times
Looking at the map above, my parents live right under one of the heaviest areas (in Wellington). That surprises me, because it really really really is NOT an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas