Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,292 times

Advertisements

My Brain is frazzled so here goes and thanks for any reponses in advance. we are relocating to Dallas in 4 weeks! - yikes! My husbands office will be in Irving and we are looking to live in southlake/colleyville area. We have a 5 yr old that I need to enroll into the Carroll ISD.

Our plan was to rent an apartment until we've found a house but it looks like we need proof of address to get into the right school. Iv been searching for apartment options in the school catchment areas and I'm not getting anywhere...am I searching for the impossible? Do I need to look at other areas I.e Richardson?canyon creek? Am I over thinking things as I can enroll later on during the summer when we've found a house so it's not paramount the apartment is in the catchment?

Thankyou for any help or responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Why don't you wait until the Fall to enroll her in school? You can do it in late August. Public school will accept her immediately with proof of residency; they can't refuse her. So, why are you feeling pressure? By the time you move here, there will only be about 5 weeks left of school and she's only 5. See if you can get a 3-month lease anywhere in zip code 75063. That's a great part of Irving and will be a good base for you while you house hunt. Moving to Richardson for a job in Irving, with plans to buy in Carroll ISD is C-R-A-Z-Y

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
First, there are NO apartments in Southlake. So, you would have to rent a house in order to have your child attend CISD. Keep in mind that school district boundaries in Texas do not necessarily follow city limits, so there are parts of Southlake that have Northwest and Keller ISD schools, and there is also a part of Grapevine that has CISD schools.

Richardson to Southlake would be a horrible commute; well over an hour drive time in rush hour traffic, and about $5 a day in tolls.

If you can't find (or can't afford) a home in Southlake, you might want to look at Grapevine, Colleyville, and the part of Euless that's north of Mid-Cities Blvd. These areas have Grapevine-Colleyville ISD schools, and all of them have apartments within their boundaries. GCISD schools are not rated quite as high as CISD, but they are still among the best in DFW.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Why don't you wait until the Fall to enroll her in school? You can do it in late August. Public school will accept her immediately with proof of residency; they can't refuse her. So, why are you feeling pressure? By the time you move here, there will only be about 5 weeks left of school and she's only 5. See if you can get a 3-month lease anywhere in zip code 75063. That's a great part of Irving and will be a good base for you while you house hunt. Moving to Richardson for a job in Irving, with plans to buy in Carroll ISD is C-R-A-Z-Y
This times a million.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 38,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Agreed. Just rent in Irving or Las Colinas, then slow down and get to know the neighborhoods you like. Make a list. Take a deep breath. Dallas is very easy to live in. (And very hot in the summer)

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM

5 posts, read 5,292 times
Just what I needed to hear!!! I guess I was fearing a cut off point for enrollment into the public schools and felt rushed to do it as soon as we get there for the fall semester.

Thankyou again!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas