U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM

401 posts, read 524,332 times

Advertisements

My wife is planning to give her road test at either Lewisville/Grapevine DMV office. She has a prior driving experience in India for about 4 years. So I am thinking to give her a lesson by myself before signing up for an appointment. Which things should I teach her for driving exam?

1. 3-point (aka K turn) U-turn.
2. Parallel Parking
3. Should be able to drive on streets with all signs/signals followed appropriately.
4. Make sure to observe mirrors/blind-spots for any turn.
5. Should be able to drive in reverse at slow speed with a full control of a vehicle.

Am I missing anything from this list? Is Parallel parking and 3-point U-turn asked to students by all DMV offices in DFW area? I gave my driving exam almost a decade ago in Florida and was asked for 3-point U-turn but not for Parallel Parking.

Does Lewisville/Grapevine DMV office conduct their driving test on regular street roads as well as on freeways?

Any other advices will be very useful! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 112,975 times
Get a copy of the Driver Handbook at the DMV office. You will find answers to all your questions, and more. It is the source for the written test, I assume she hadn't had it yet.

We took the test at Lewisville's and it was on regular street roads. And yes, she will have to parallel park as soon as the test starts.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino'61 View Post
Get a copy of the Driver Handbook at the DMV office. You will find answers to all your questions, and more. It is the source for the written test, I assume she hadn't had it yet.

We took the test at Lewisville's and it was on regular street roads. And yes, she will have to parallel park as soon as the test starts.

Good luck!
Thanks! She already has got learner's permit, now need to go for road test. In Lewisville, did you had to parallel park on a real street or in their DMV parking lot (dedicated area for parallel parking)? Which other things did they ask you to do in road test? Lewisville is close to our home, so we may probably give it a first priority.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM

66 posts, read 112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Thanks! She already has got learner's permit, now need to go for road test. In Lewisville, did you had to parallel park on a real street or in their DMV parking lot (dedicated area for parallel parking)? Which other things did they ask you to do in road test? Lewisville is close to our home, so we may probably give it a first priority.
We had to parallel park in their parking lot, between those two plastic poles. Piece of cake, really.

Have to be mindful of speed, turn signals when switching lanes, full stop in turns. Main thing is not to be nervous and think of it as a casual drive. The officers running the driving test were nice ladies in our case, although there are definitely some sour personalities in the Lewisville staff.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino'61 View Post
We had to parallel park in their parking lot, between those two plastic poles. Piece of cake, really.

Have to be mindful of speed, turn signals when switching lanes, full stop in turns. Main thing is not to be nervous and think of it as a casual drive. The officers running the driving test were nice ladies in our case, although there are definitely some sour personalities in the Lewisville staff.
that sounds very easy road test. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Are there any other folks who had recent road test experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or