U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 7,854 times

Advertisements

Oh thank you so much for the advice! He is actually a probation officer here in Kansas now and enjoys it very much. I think he is wanting to stick with something along those lines possibly. So yes, that actually may be the best place for us to be. We will for sure have look into that. Any advice on apartments? I think that's going to be the best route for us, move down and live in a apartment for awhile that way we can be more settled before we buy a home. Thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,122,402 times
You're welcome. Unfortunately I can't help much with advice on apartments as I've never rented in McKinney, but I can tell you that you do have multiple options scattered around the city. The courthouse/jail is located in the north part of McKinney, just north of highway 380. A friend of mine is a police officer here, he lives just a bit south of there for an extremely easy commute. He has a 3 bed/2 bath house which should be very doable if your bf finds work here.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

813 posts, read 1,767,797 times
Rent, or even get one of those week to week motels. Put the majority of your stuff in storage. Get a feel for our area. Look for work. Then decide where to domicile. Look at it this way.... DFW AIRPORT is the size of the island of Manhattan (not Kansas, the one in NY). And the airport is a bazillion miles from McKinney and Allen.

You don't want to have a horrible commute, and you don't want to move twice.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM

5,774 posts, read 6,659,507 times
ROTFLMAO! The airport (DFW) is anywhere from 25-45 min depending on traffic. If you like McKinney, don't let the haters get to ya.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM

297 posts, read 407,150 times
No, just being realistic and not wanting people new to the area to set themselves up for misery if they detest long commutes. McKinney would be a horrible commute on a daily basis to the airport or downtown Dallas. Sure, some people do it and are fine. Me, I'd hate it every single minute! OP has never been here and not familiar with the traffic and distances. They are best off to find a job first then figure out the absolute max commute they would accept. Then figure out where to live.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,122,402 times
I went to the airport on Wed in rush hour traffic. It took 35 min in rush hour traffic to go 30 miles. That's pretty damn good. The only commute that would really suck from McKinney is if you were working downtown and had to go down 75, or take 121 to the Tollway and then take that down.

So please people, if you don't live in McKinney and you really have no idea how long it takes to get to the airport, don't post about it being a horrible commute. It is not.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM

297 posts, read 407,150 times
My sis lives in McKinney. I'm familiar with the commute.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM

The commute that really SUCKS...is McKinney to Ft. Worth right now that I have to do!!! Oi Vey!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
No, just being realistic and not wanting people new to the area to set themselves up for misery if they detest long commutes. McKinney would be a horrible commute on a daily basis to the airport or downtown Dallas. Sure, some people do it and are fine. Me, I'd hate it every single minute! OP has never been here and not familiar with the traffic and distances. They are best off to find a job first then figure out the absolute max commute they would accept. Then figure out where to live.

That's fine, but attempting to be hyperbolic and over simplify your generalization is not.

And on a daily basis to DFW isn't that bad. To downtown...well unless you've got a job you really love and HAVE to live in McKinney, I wouldn't want to do that too often. Good thing I love my job.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM

813 posts, read 1,767,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
ROTFLMAO! The airport (DFW) is anywhere from 25-45 min depending on traffic. If you like McKinney, don't let the haters get to ya.
Not a hater, txgolf. I've lived in Stonebridge Ranch and was a member there. Loved McKinney. Lived in Allen near Fairview and went to Heritage Ranch CC. Loved Allen. It's even better now with the shopping and increased tax base. It's just that commutes in DFW can be hell on earth. When I was in business in the 90s, and flew out of DFW 3 times a month, knowing after I got my luggage, found my car, went through the airport exit, got on 635, at 11:30 at night, and at that time living the single life in Valley Ranch I knew I'd be home in 5 minutes. Later on I'd have to drive the 45 minutes to McKinney and I wasn't a happy puppy.

Most posters point out the commute as the most important issue, along side school districts. And crime. And housing costs.

Ah, we might as well live on Pluto. Or Manhattan Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or