U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM

42,458 posts, read 50,360,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
not everyone on the planet is familiar with the names of suburbs in DFW. But everyone knows where Dallas is. The answer to your issue is obvious and simple.
Exactly.
Sometimes the person will be like, "Oh, really? Where in the Dallas area?" Then I say, "Plano."
With the size of the town and the various corporate HQs there, sometimes you find people are familiar with it.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,419,688 times
Best thread yet? I tell people I'm from Dallas when I'm somewhere else in the state because if I say Highland Park...I get the eye roll.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,274,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyDallasGirl View Post
Dallas already has this ugly stereotype that we're a bunch of snobby, arrogant, stuck-up jerks, which I'm happy to say is just a stereotype.
You seem to be a prime reason Dallas has that stereotype, "Pretty" Dallas Girl. Superficial much?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM

297 posts, read 410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, I say I am from Plano.

If I am out of town, I say "the Dallas area." People usually have no clue about the geographic features of Texas outside of knowing the big cities.

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly.
Sometimes the person will be like, "Oh, really? Where in the Dallas area?" Then I say, "Plano."
With the size of the town and the various corporate HQs there, sometimes you find people are familiar with it.
BINGO!

I've been half way across the globe and when asked I may say, "Texas". If they ask more then I do say, "Dallas". From there it could drop or the, "oh, we have friends/family in the ..... area" or "we used to live in ....".

I was born IN Dallas (St Paul baby ). Lived IN the city limits of Dallas till a toddler then it has been the burbs since then for 45 years. I would say I have a right to say that I am indeed FROM Dallas. Daddy was born at the old Parkland and went to the oldest high school in Dallas. I'll say that I am from Dallas till the day I die

FYI, not all the people in Plano (including "west Plano") are rich or wealthy by any stretch of the imagination I'll leave it at that.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM

743 posts, read 1,071,142 times
Is it that hard to say "North of Dallas"?

An, OP, few people in Plano are "rich". At least by White Rock Lake standards.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM

23,672 posts, read 31,505,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
I was born IN Dallas (St Paul baby ). Lived IN the city limits of Dallas till a toddler then it has been the burbs since then for 45 years. I would say I have a right to say that I am indeed FROM Dallas. Daddy was born at the old Parkland and went to the oldest high school in Dallas. I'll say that I am from Dallas till the day I die
I'm a Baylor baby and spent my entire childhood in 75230 until I went off to college.

When people ask me where I'm from, I say "Dallas" even though I now live in Richardson. Where I'm from and where I live are 2 different things.

Am I proud of being from Dallas? No...I feel it's a bit absurd to have pride in something that I had no control over. It would be like being proud of having blue eyes. But I'm not ashamed of it either. It's just a thing.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,481,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Is it that hard to say "North of Dallas"?

An, OP, few people in Plano are "rich". At least by White Rock Lake standards.
Rubbish. Lots of people in Plano are rich by White Rock standards. We could have afforded a house in Lakewood or the White Rock Lake area and choose Plano instead.

Now if you had said, by Highland Park standards, I would agree.

I guess its not hard to say North of Dallas, but why bother? Outside of DFW, nobody gives a rats a$$.

Its BS like this that gives Dallas its pretentious, snobby stereotype.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,830,866 times
LOL at Richardson having "extremely wealthy people". It's a nice place, and has upscale portions, but I don't think there's a single house there in the 7-figure range.

I'm pretty sure the bank accounts of those in Preston Hollow blow away 100% of those in Richardson (and 99% of those in Plano).

FWIW, I always make it a point to say I'm from Plano, even to out-of-towners. As the 70th-largest city in the country, I think it SHOULD be known to most Americans. I mean, don't most people know where Joliet, Yonkers, Chula Vista, Hialeah, etc. are? To me, Plano is in that same category.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,481,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I mean, don't most people know where Joliet, Yonkers, Chula Vista, Hialeah, etc. are? .
No. I would say most dont. Americans are putridly bad at geography.

I guess its more relevant for me overseas since I travel abroad frequently. In Europe, Australia, Latin American, and developed Asia, almost everyone knows Dallas so I say Im from Dallas. I have run into a few in China and non-developed Southeast Asia that havent even heard of Dallas so I say Texas in those cases.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM

743 posts, read 1,071,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Rubbish. Lots of people in Plano are rich by White Rock standards. We could have afforded a house in Lakewood or the White Rock Lake area and choose Plano instead.

Now if you had said, by Highland Park standards, I would agree.

I guess its not hard to say North of Dallas, but why bother? Outside of DFW, nobody gives a rats a$$.

Its BS like this that gives Dallas its pretentious, snobby stereotype.
Hey, I am not say that *I* am rich, just so we're clear. Are you saying you are? Because I don't see any listings in Russell Creek over $600K, and I don't consider people in $600K houses to be "rich" (at least assuming they hold their wealth in a typically American fashion).

But "rich" tends to be relative. Someone who grew up around million dollar homes, whether in Forest Hills or Lakewood, should not consider Plano some stratospherically different economic place. That's all I'm saying.

People do give a rats a$$. They want to identify who you are. Are you urban? Suburban? etc. At one point my wife said she was from Detroit. And everyone wanted to know how hard it was. But she's not, she's from north of Detroit. Huge difference. On business I used to say I was "from Dallas". But then I loosened it to "I'm from Texas". But I get tired of being told how great it is to visit Austin. So it's back to "I'm from Dallas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or