U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
What I do bristle at is the suggestion that I should move there by people whose suggestion is a backhanded judgment of the life my wife and I have chosen to live, not settled for.
This is BRILLIANT. I'm going to steal this.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,215,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's hilarious. New houses don't cost more.

New houses cost less on average because they're usually in less desirable locations.
This statement is completely false.

New builds anywhere in the metroplex are commanding a higher price/sq ft than existing homes in the same area.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 AM

56 posts, read 39,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Your confusing spending with wealth. Many people who buy new homes and live in certain areas, don't have real wealth, just debt. There are lots of people who live in smaller homes and don't appear to have money that actually do.
You are partially right. My house was not bought on debt and I assumed that everybody else is the same.
Unfortunately there is too many debt loaded phonies in the US.

So, I guess that what people hate from Frisco is that is like a giant planned community with a lot
of vanity seeking phonies.

My question would be then: Should not the government stop printing money and raise interest rates?
In order to have an economy based in real capitalism and not fake credit and fake money.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Frisco is not my favorite town, but labeling a whole town a bunch of debt riddled vanity seeking phonies is ridiculous.

Almost no one could or can buy a house with no mortgage.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
New builds anywhere in the metroplex are commanding a higher price/sq ft than existing homes in the same area.
True, but that doesn't address my point.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:27 PM

860 posts, read 559,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Frisco is not my favorite town, but labeling a whole town a bunch of debt riddled vanity seeking phonies is ridiculous.

Even people who can buy houses for cash typically don't, when the government is making the after tax cost of that leverage so low.

Strictly speaking, the people who are most in debt on an absolute basis are those in Preston Hollow and Park Cities, as their properties are the most expensive.

Much as I dislike the idea that everyone should want to move to Frisco, I also can't stand the knee jerk reaction of people hating Frisco. It's a fairly bland, safe, comfortable, easy place to raise kids. And if you work near Legacy where lots of jobs are going, it is convenient. Does it lack character? Sure. But will it kill you? Probably not.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:19 PM

75 posts, read 56,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post

Not true but yeah vast majority can't, at least not the ones they want. Many of my neighbors have $200-400k in equity, they can easily buy debt free decent homes in decent areas but people don't mind living under debt or beyond their true means. That's our American way.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:03 PM

860 posts, read 559,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
Not true but yeah vast majority can't, at least not the ones they want. Many of my neighbors have $200-400k in equity, they can easily buy debt free decent homes in decent areas but people don't mind living under debt or beyond their true means. That's our American way.
Taking on debt is not equivalent to living beyond your true means. Some like to say there are good types of debt and bad types of debt. I would say that there are responsible levels of debt and irresponsible levels of debt, although I will say that consumer revolving credit card debt comes at interest rates too high to ever constitute "responsible" debt. That said, I will say anecdotally I know lots of people who stretch for a dream house in all parts of Dallas with comments like "the higher interest and taxes will help as deductions" and similar justifications for why they should borrow as much as a broker tells them they can rather than making a decision for themselves of what they can reasonably afford. But again, that's not specific to Frisco by any means.

And debt is not strictly an American thing, as China is likely to learn in a very, very painful way. They are providing common citizens insane amounts of leverage to invest in the equity market. By comparison the frenzy over houses in the US was downright prudent.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
Almost no one and vast majority seem like very similar terms, and I'm betting your neighbors with 200k in equity would never buy a home outright with that.

My view point comes from someone in their early thirties who just bought their first house 1.5 years ago. Far away from buying outright although it's basically what we were paying for an inferior rental house prior.

If you're looking for new, neat, clean Frisco is a good place to look.

Last edited by Aceraceae; 06-09-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 PM

1,865 posts, read 996,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldemail1 View Post
So, I guess that what people hate from Frisco is that is like a giant planned community with a lot
of vanity seeking phonies.
The only thing to hate about it is the fact that FC Dallas is located there. Other than that, it's a long expensive road trip to nowhere for most DFW residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas