U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 PM

1,865 posts, read 996,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Jealousy and ignorance. Too many urban dwellers assume we all want congestion and older small housing stock and that everyone mirrors their thinking that trains and mass transit are cool. Jealousy is part of the human condition so being negatives about they don't like makes them happy.
1. Congestion can be eased by several alternatives, not just adding more traffic lanes. I don't find the traffic in Plano any better than in Dallas, btw.

2. There's plenty of "new" urban housing stock in Dallas. That's actually one benefit we have here over older Northeast cities. Housing is all preference. Being a so-called urban dweller doesn't limit you to old housing at least in Dallas.

3. Mass transit is not inherently cool. Neither are highways. Many of us would like better urban planning in general. Walkable communities help reduce the need for more highways and mass transit. Walkable communities are not all about high rises or stacking people on top of each other. Many older inner ring suburbs pre WWII have beautiful single detached housing, sidewalks, and trees connected to a pedestrian friendly business district. Downtown Plano is a nice example of that. Same with Downtown McKinney. We need more of that here!!

Again, why do I need to take a government mandated driver's license test, register my vehicle with the government, purchase government required insurance, and pass government mandated inspection in order to buy a jug of milk or loaf of bread? This is reality for most people, sadly. We're too spread out from basic everyday necessities and our infrastructure is not conducive to walking. Don't we want less government in our lives? More highways = more government.

4. Jealous of what? Toll roads? Far away from most of the DFW amenities?

Old 06-10-2016, 02:15 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Top 3 reasons I did not buy in Frisco:

1.) Commute. I'd be further from job centers than I care to be. It'd have been worse in 2009, when I bought my house in Richardson.
2.) Trees. I like them. Frisco doesn't have lots of beautiful trees like older areas do.
3.) The Oddball Factor. I'd have been the oddball. I don't like being an oddball.
Top three reasons I did not buy in Frisco:

1. Location.
2. Location.
3. Location.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:37 PM

2,229 posts, read 4,376,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTex View Post
No way would I live in Frisco if I was single. Frisco is best suited for families..single life here
would not be fun.

Not sure why your co-workers are misleading you to move to Frisco.
Just because they live up there and know its the hot newer place. Don't worry, I have no plans to move there. There is nothing in Frisco I'm missing...well with the exception of sometimes I play golf up there.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 PM

2,229 posts, read 4,376,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Even people who can buy houses for cash typically don't, when the government is making the after tax cost of that leverage so low.

Strictly speaking, the people who are most in debt on an absolute basis are those in Preston Hollow and Park Cities, as their properties are the most expensive.

Much as I dislike the idea that everyone should want to move to Frisco, I also can't stand the knee jerk reaction of people hating Frisco. It's a fairly bland, safe, comfortable, easy place to raise kids. And if you work near Legacy where lots of jobs are going, it is convenient. Does it lack character? Sure. But will it kill you? Probably not.
I had heard there were lots of foreclosures in the Willowbend area back in 2008-2010. The very rich neighborhoods don't usually suffer from foreclosures, but many times the mid range (say $400k to $800k) will have a mix have people that actually have money and those pretend to have money. The pretends only have loads of debt. I've seen some that couldn't give you a $250 check without having to wait until Friday payday.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 PM

4,051 posts, read 4,426,276 times
Wow my thread is getting much more action now than it did three years ago. I thought this was settled. How many more people live in Frisco now as compared to 2013? 50,000???

Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Wow my thread is getting much more action now than it did three years ago.
h8rz gunna h8
g8r8rz gunna hydr8

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 PM

635 posts, read 453,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Total tangent to this thread, but...where exactly is this Chicago style hot dog stand? We were just reminiscing a short time ago about Wolfy's and other classic locations (we were out in the burbs by the time Hot Doug's opened up, so we missed out on that one).

I used to work right near the Al's Italian Beef that opened in Addison, and was underwhelmed by it. Even more of an aside, in the mid- 80's my wife ran a café just a block or two away from the original Al's location in Chicago.
Yes, Wild About Harry's. It is on the south side of Knox west of 75. Earlier this evening I drove to Watuga to Big Tex's and had a good Italian Beef. They also have Gyros and Polish.

Al's in Addison is closed for "remodeling and rebranding". Vienna Beef has a locator on its website.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:59 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Yes, Wild About Harry's. It is on the south side of Knox west of 75. Earlier this evening I drove to Watuga to Big Tex's and had a good Italian Beef. They also have Gyros and Polish.

Al's in Addison is closed for "remodeling and rebranding". Vienna Beef has a locator on its website.
Thanks! We're actually not THAT far (well, by DFW standards) from Big Tex's. I think we've had gyros from there before.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 PM

241 posts, read 227,456 times
Quote:
Wow my thread is getting much more action now than it did three years ago. I thought this was settled. How many more people live in Frisco now as compared to 2013? 50,000???
Well, not quite that much. January 2013, Frisco's population was 129,680. As of June 2016, it's 155,835. Probably still not halfway to buildout population.

Also, if the US Census is any indication, between July 1, 2014 and July 1, 2015, Frisco was the 4th fastest growing town/city in the nation in terms of percentage growth.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:41 PM

6,889 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Maybe 25k to 30k more. Seems to be adding just under 10k a year per the census estimates. So is McKinney. But I predict an upturn for both the rest of the decade if current trends continue. New builds never stopped in these cities during the downturn, but boy howdy, they are both adding neighborhoods right and left this last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas