Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,789,586 times

Advertisements

TXgolfer hit the nail on the head. You get those on this board who disdain anything suburban. You have a comment from one already in Richardson that looks down his nose, but at one time Richardson was looked down on by true Dallasites in much the same way. Some will still look at Richardson like this.

I am from the Atlanta area but have been in McKinney the last 9 years, I see the same sentiment on the Atlanta forum... on that forum it is the ITP vs. the OTP crowd... Inside the perimeter (I-285) vs. outside. Same attitude that you are more hip or with it or "real" as a person because you don't live in the newest suburb.

On the Atlanta board there is also added the liberal vs. conservative political angle that these different areas tend to attract as well as racial conversations that develop. Don't see that angle as much on the Dallas forum, but I am sure it colors the discussions somewhat.

The funny thing to me is that once you drive north from the center of Dallas on say Preston or Hillcrest and continue all the way up to Frisco (or even Prosper), it is the same basic style of development... single family residential interspersed with commercial centers on major intersections. The only difference is the decade that this development was built and the styles that change along with it. And the trees that have matured over the years.

Frisco is fine. It is just the newest and shiniest so it gets bashed. Come back in 30 years and folks that are settled in Frisco will be bashing Celina and Gunter.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,437,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The funny thing to me is that once you drive north from the center of Dallas on say Preston or Hillcrest and continue all the way up to Frisco (or even Prosper), it is the same basic style of development... single family residential interspersed with commercial centers on major intersections.
That may be true north of say 635. Almost everything inside the loop is a custom build home on hillcrest/preton, vs. developments.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:01 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,155,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's jam-packed with soccer moms in SUVs and sweaty, cologned golfing douchebags in leased BMWs hauling their screaming brats to <insert chain restaurant here>.
That's not just a Frisco thing. That's also a Plano, McKinney, Allen...insert any other suburb.

I think it's interesting that everyone is commenting on the commute. Not everyone works in downtown Dallas or has that desire. I work in Plano and my husband is in Denton, so NW Frisco made sense to us. I lived in Richardson for 4 years and liked it, but it doesn't work for our situation. We both have family in the northern part of DFW (Frisco and Gunter), so all signs pointed to this area. We didn't buy the newest, biggest, most fancy house we could. Instead we bought a house that was a few years old in an established neighborhood that was built by a quality builder.

Neither of us has an SUV, but my husband does drive a 10 year old BMW. But he doesn't play golf or wear cologne. I totally get the idea that people have the impression that everyone here is looking for the biggest and newest thing, but not all of us are like that. The million posts about Richwoods and PCR really make it hard to argue with that sometimes, though.

I'm curious what people's perceptions of Plano would've been 15-20 years ago if city-data was around then. Probably similar to what people think of Frisco now.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
TXgolfer hit the nail on the head. You get those on this board who disdain anything suburban. You have a comment from one already in Richardson that looks down his nose, but at one time Richardson was looked down on by true Dallasites in much the same way. Some will still look at Richardson like this.
Yeah...I'm the one in Richardson "looking down HER nose" at Frisco.

I think I was pretty clear and concise about why I don't care for Frisco, and I think those reasons are legitimate. It is far away. The houses are close together. There is a lot of HOA control. These are things that cannot be changed about it even if it had an atmosphere that I liked.

Sure, there are people who look down their noses at Richardson. Some of them post here on a regular basis. They're entitled to their opinions.

However, for my needs and budget, Richardson is a much better fit than Frisco is. Plain and simple. Is it right for everyone? No, but neither is Frisco. Also, my reasons for not liking Frisco have nothing to do with ego or envy and everything to do with what Frisco actually is.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,287,302 times
"Dallasites" who express disdain for everything north of LBJ remind me of Austinites who have never visited Dallas, yet speak negatively about it constantly.

Austin & Houston residents HATE Dallas, generally, and I don't really know why. Similarly, lots of people who cling to their Dallas identities think it makes them more Legit to slam Frisco, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM

5,252 posts, read 6,342,259 times
Quote:
Not everyone works in downtown Dallas or has that desire.
Only 165k (of about ~700k total residents) commute daily from Collin County to Dallas County according to the latest stats.

I'm too lazy to look up the numbers of total business commuters, but it's probably safe to say that either now or sometime in the next 10 years, CC will no longer be a true 'suburb' of Dallas (where suburb = person lives one place but works in the main city) but rather an employment center in its own right. Dallas has again become a victim of its own sprawl.

Frisco's small lots is smart city planning in my opinion, even though I understand why they are not popular. They get more density per acre while still having SFH residences. In 20 years, the sewer and road maintenance will not decimate the city's budget, even if the average home prices fall. That'll help them keep taxes relatively low. Also the corner strip malls will be closer to maintaining the dense population needed to support too-much retail DFW likes to build out.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,542,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm curious what people's perceptions of Plano would've been 15-20 years ago if city-data was around then. Probably similar to what people think of Frisco now.
As someone who lived in the area (as an adult) back then, I can tell you, yes, it was the same.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM

718 posts, read 1,382,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
I don't hate Frisco, but I don't want to buy a house there. It is one of (if not the) fastest growing city in the US. In DFW, both Arlington and Mesquite once had that distinction. I don't want to live in the next Arlington or Mesquite. Frisco thinks that won't happen to them. I'm not convinced.
Well , it worked for Plano !

Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,431,626 times
The commute is definitely the first thing I wouldn't like about F. Why live on the moon when you work on the earth?

I haven't been there much, but my assumption is (and I may be wrong) that like most new developments, the first thing the developers do is chop down every tree. So I expect Frisco, like many other burbs has no trees. Trees are very important to me - especially in the brutal summer months.

I'm skeptical about quality of parks, which I guess will also be treeless and sunbaked.

And I also will hazard to guess it is a chain store plague. If that works for you, great.

Last but not least, the "newness" is a problem for me. No history makes a place boring to me. Dallas at least has some history - layers of stories evident in and about the city. Frisco (and all brand new burbs) in a sense to me is a like a Jr high cheerleader - pretty and nice but no substance.

If what you want is the best value for a new house and a comfortable bedroom community, it's probably good for you. It might have a Bread and Circus, it does not have an Oxford Circus.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
As someone who lived in the area (as an adult) back then, I can tell you, yes, it was the same.
I concur. When I was in high school, Plano was then what Frisco is now, demographically and reputationally-speaking. It was also "way up there". If someone went to Plano, we'd scrunch up our noses and say "Oh my god, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" Not because we thought it sucked, but because it was so far away. And goyish.

(It just occurred to me that is probably one of the main reasons I don't care for Frisco...it is very goyish!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas