U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM

29,917 posts, read 34,517,946 times

Advertisements

Just listed a home in SW Frisco last week and had 4 offers by Monday all over the list price.
Not everyone hates Frisco. Many people love the city.

So you resurrected a 3 year old thread just to complain?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:58 AM

860 posts, read 559,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
One interesting development. Frisco has discovered whatever the draw Plano used to have for Indians, and is drawing them in by the boatload. I attended my nephew's "graduation" from a Frisco daycare. Out of 70 graduates, I would estimate that 30 per cent bring Indian/Pakistani.
A coworker lives very close to Richwoods, half her street is now Indian. It's getting to the point that non Indians talk of selling and moving to Prosper to avoid living in Little Mumbai. All anecdotal so take it as you will.
It's called decent schools and being cheaper than Plano. It doesn't seem so shocking.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Is it much cheaper than Plano though? I don't know.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
One interesting development. Frisco has discovered whatever the draw Plano used to have for Indians, and is drawing them in by the boatload. I attended my nephew's "graduation" from a Frisco daycare. Out of 70 graduates, I would estimate that 30 per cent bring Indian/Pakistani.
A coworker lives very close to Richwoods, half her street is now Indian. It's getting to the point that non Indians talk of selling and moving to Prosper to avoid living in Little Mumbai. All anecdotal so take it as you will.
About 90% of my south Asian coworkers live in Frisco. They love it. They'll leapfrog the desis out to the newest latest-and-greatest development beyond Prosper, though. Just watch.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:43 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
Is it much cheaper than Plano though? I don't know.
The median home price and median income are much higher in Frisco than Plano. I believe Plano has both higher priced properties on the top end and lower priced on the low end. Property tax rates at 2.23% are the same for each.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,215,966 times
I don't hate Frisco. What I do hate are neighborhoods that have extremely small lots with the houses right on top of each other, and Frisco seems to have that more than most of the surrounding suburbs. I guess it's because it's "newer" than Plano, Allen, or McKinney. Most new construction going up crams as many houses into a development as possible, I've seen some houses in Little Elm and Melissa recently that look just like Frisco neighborhoods, small lots with houses so close you can practically stand between two homes and touch them both.

I also think Frisco really missed the mark with their downtown area and the Dr. Pepper center. The traffic is utterly terrible for going to anything at the stadium, lack of parking, and it jams up everything around it too. Not very well thought out at all.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,421,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
So you created an account and dug up a 3 year old thread just to post about how much you hate Frisco? Okay then.
And probably their only post.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
What I do hate are neighborhoods that have extremely small lots with the houses right on top of each other, and Frisco seems to have that more than most of the surrounding suburbs.
People may hate it, but it was smart of Frisco to do it because roads & infrastructure is expensive and the only options are (1) maintain an incredibly weathy populous (ie only Highland Park in DFW), (2) build mostly multifamily and small amounts of single family (3) build single-family but make it tight so infrastructure costs are minimized (4) build whatever and get screwed in the future when your middle and lower class population can't afford the tax rates to pay for quality streets, fire, and police. They saw what happened to Dallas(4) , there is already a Highland Park (1), and people in Texas don't like attached homes(2), so they chose (3).

I believe this year is the last (or one of the last) that Plano will be able to fund their infrastructure maintenance without issuing debt. Frisco will experience less decline than Garland, Arlington and some of the other suburbs because of it.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,215,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
People may hate it, but it was smart of Frisco to do it
Frisco had nothing to do with it.

This is solely a matter of builders looking to build as many houses as they can onto their development sites. More houses, more profit.

In Plano, the average lot size was .25 acres. In Allen, that held true for the most part too. In the older neighborhoods in McKinney, also true.

Frisco however, is typically .20 or less, and that is a big visual impact when you're driving down a road. The houses are so close together they actually look like shared row houses.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Frisco had nothing to do with it.

This is solely a matter of builders looking to build as many houses as they can onto their development sites. More houses, more profit.

In Plano, the average lot size was .25 acres. In Allen, that held true for the most part too. In the older neighborhoods in McKinney, also true.

Frisco however, is typically .20 or less, and that is a big visual impact when you're driving down a road. The houses are so close together they actually look like shared row houses.
All new construction everywhere seems to be falling into the "bigger house/smaller lot" category. DFW just has cartloads of new construction relative to older, because it's growing so fast. Frisco has obviously decided to roll with that model for a variety of reasons and embrace it rather than try to dissuade it.

As noted, I personally don't like Frisco because I don't like that style (big house on real small lot, scads of new construction and near identical strip malls that have little "character" because they've just been built). There are many other places in the US where that is going on, but Frisco is so large and fast growing that it represents all of it on steroids. We'll see how it ages out over the next 30+ years. As noted, it's been attracting a relatively affluent population, so you can't fault the town for that. Furthermore, people have been denigrating the suburbs ever since "suburbs" came into existence.

I'm also amused that someone created an account and dug up a three year old thread just to essentially post "Frisco sux" and then run away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas