Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I have lived in Texas for seven years, and have been on this board for three. I love living in Texas, and like to explore all cities (I live in San Antonio). Being someone who has only been to DFW a handful of times, I notice really bad attitudes on this forum towards Frisco. Why?

I realize it was the fastest growing city in America a short time ago, and maybe it seems to appear to be cookie cutter with a lot of small lots. Maybe the schools are not quite as good as Highland Park or Plano, but still seem to be highly rated. Overall, though, it seems to have everything going for it. There is high educational attainment, high household income, low crime, and schools seem to be highly rated overall. So, my question is, given these positive characteristics, why does there seem to be so much negativity? I cannot be the only one on her that has noticed this. Is it jealously? Fragile egos? Am I missing something?

Be advised that this is not a troll post. I have nothing to gain or lose by posting this. I'm just looking for some answers here from dome knowledgeable DFW residents.

Thanks in advance, people.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Simply put...haters gonna hate.

If it's more than 15 miles outside of downtown Dallas or it's immediate outer ring of suburbs from the early 80's, then it's to be derided and shunned. Nothing can compare to their own local zip code where they were raised or have moved to, and they have a burning fire inside to make all opinions see this.

Yet, they don't see that the reason that Frisco (and other cities outside the 'ring') are the fastest growing, is because people (lot's of them obviously) don't agree with their assessments. And it tears them up mightily.

Is Frisco as developed as Lakewood or Dallas or HP/UP areas? No, and won't be for another 20 years. But that matters not, for the haters, because simply....haters gonna hate.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So, my question is, given these positive characteristics, why does there seem to be so much negativity? I cannot be the only one on her that has noticed this. Is it jealously? Fragile egos? Am I missing something?
I can only speak for myself.

Having grown up in Dallas itself, I don't have a great affection for the suburbs. It doesn't mean I hate them; the difference between many parts of Dallas and its older, close-in suburbs is an arbitrary line that you can't see drawn across a major road that divides one 'city' from another, or one county from another. Cross Coit north of Belt Line and you're in Richardson or Dallas. Is there a huge difference between those neighborhoods that face each other across the suburban dividing line? No.

However, I don't like Frisco. To me it's too far away, too HOA-y, too cookie-cutter, too homogenous. It's jam-packed with soccer moms in SUVs and sweaty, cologned golfing douchebags in leased BMWs hauling their screaming brats to <insert chain restaurant here>. I've been up there before, mainly to shop at Ikea. I don't see the appeal of the place, and I certainly wouldn't endure hellish commutes to live there.

I'm not jealous of it, that's absurd. I could well afford to live in Frisco. I could probably have 1.5 times the square footage in a newer, more modern home than I have right now, which is a ranch house in Richardson built in 1957 that is like a little time capsule. However, as much as I'm the 'odd one out' on my street being that I'm single with no children, I think I'd feel like an alien from another planet in Frisco. I live where I live because it's a great neighborhood and a great location; sure, it's the suburbs, but Lakewood isn't in everyone's budget despite what some people here might think.

I don't hate it, per se. I don't like it either, though, and I have no desire to live there. I think a lot of people who head straight for Frisco without even considering other areas of DFW are being a little foolish; obviously a lot of those people want to be in a brand-new house and they want to be surrounded by other white people. I don't understand that mentality.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I don't hate Frisco. As you mention OP, Frisco has a lot of things going for it.

They've got the Dr. Pepper ballpark, Roughriders games are a fun time. They've got the FC Dallas Soccer complex. They have the Stonebriar mall and all the surrounding shops and amenities. They have a good assortment of restaurants. It's a long list.

BUT... I don't like Frisco. I don't like the neighborhoods (and we looked at many, many Frisco homes during our househunting search in 2010.) They just don't have much character. (There are a couple neighborhoods that buck the trend, but they weren't commute friendly, and were generally west of the Tollway.)

I used to live in Plano for a long time. To me, it seems that Frisco tried to be a "newer" version of Plano, and they did a good job with the retail part of it, but they failed when it came to housing. Frisco has VERY small lots, and when driving down the typical neighborhood street, the houses are extremely close together and everything looks cramped. It's also flat as a board, which is one thing that I love about McKinney, all the hilly subdivisions really break up the monotony, plus a bit bigger lot.

To me, it makes more sense to live in Plano, McKinney, or Allen and have a better home, while still being close to Frisco to enjoy its retail/amenities when you need to.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
I don't hate Frisco, but I don't want to buy a house there. It is one of (if not the) fastest growing city in the US. In DFW, both Arlington and Mesquite once had that distinction. I don't want to live in the next Arlington or Mesquite. Frisco thinks that won't happen to them. I'm not convinced.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
I'd echo the thoughts above. I'd worry more about it from an investment standpoint...it doesn't seem like it will do well when the homes and retail age.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM

162 posts, read 303,659 times
I looked at Friso but its too cookie cutter and plain, schools are overly focused on state testing, location is not ideal and for resale you compete with builders. I don't see a point in buying there just for the sake of a newer building. I'm looking for established neighborhood, good schools, shorter commute and steady resale values.

That doesn't mean that I hate it, I just don't love it. It serves a purpose of providing new houses to people who must have one.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
schools are overly focused on state testing
The education system is really a national issue and certainly not unique of Frisco by any stretch.

Frisco grew too much too fast and really lacks sound urban planning to make it more than what the others have all listed above. It's a strip mall/big box city much like most of the other suburban sprawl developments around the country.

My reply likely comes across as a bit harsh. It's perfect for some people but when I go to Frisco, I get the same feeling I get when walking into a hospital.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Frisco grew too much too fast and really lacks sound urban planning to make it more than what the others have all listed above. It's a strip mall/big box city much like most of the other suburban sprawl developments around the country..
LOL. Spoken like someone whose specialty is urban planning.

Frisco is much better planned than Dallas or Richardson was. Frisco in particular has taken great care to build back from the creeks to allow them to be wildlife corridors. And they are planting mast producing trees. They also did a careful job of flood planning and traffic analysis. They also have a good mix of retail, corporate, and entertainment venues and planned out the school situation well.

Frisco will continue to grow in value over the long term due to the careful planning done in the last decade.

Here is what poor planning looks like coupled with poor social policy decisions.

Book Review: Detroit City Is the Place to Be: The Afterlife of an American Metropolis by Mark Binelli - Blogcritics Books

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Frisco still has huge amounts of vacant land, with cow pastures and just plain scrub trees on some of it; I've even seen a trailer park just north of Lebanon. I don't think people from outside the area realize how huge DFW is. They look at a map, see all these roads and cities, and think it's like where they come from. Plano still has some big tracts undeveloped, especially along the tollway. I only know what I see as I drive around.

Frisco will appeal to many people who come from older cities on the coasts or in the Rust Belt. It's newish and shiny and well-kept. Traffic flows in a logical fashion, roads are planned not just haphazardly growing wherever. Any kind of chain anything you want is available in multiple locations so you are not far from "it" anywhere in Frisco. What is lacking, IMO, are the kind of unique mom-and-pop places, restaurants and boutique stores, except in the old downtown along Main St. Those are limited however to those few blocks. However, that is available in Plano and is not far away. Heck, even old downtown Little Elm has 2 mom-and-pop restaurants, both of which are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas