Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM

94 posts, read 204,332 times

Advertisements

We have nothing against suburbs -- we live in one. You could even call our current subdivision "cookie cutter."

But, we don't live in Frisco. In fact, we've actively avoided it in both of our house searches over the last 5 years. When we first moved back here, we were coming from an 1800 sq ft condo in northern California. When we looked in Frisco, it seemed like it was geared towards getting THE BIGGEST house for your money. We got lost wandering around 4500 sq ft model homes... we eventually ended up paying about the same money for a 3500 sq ft home close to our work (Las Colinas).

When we moved again about 18 months ago, we were looking for a bigger home (adding two more kids will do that to ya ) but were turned off from Frisco by the schools, and the "Frisco attitude." Admittedly, our impressions of the latter have been formed mostly by two of our friends, who live in a subdivision that's full of people who aren't rich but pretend to be... maybe that's not representative of Frisco as a whole. Anyway, we ended up finding that we could get plenty of house in Flower Mound, with fantastic schools.

I don't think Frisco is awful or anything, and if we worked in, say, Plano, we'd probably consider it closely. Maybe. I still think we'd end up in Plano just for the schools.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
on average Plano is more dense than Dallas, and the small lots means Frisco will be too when built out.
This is because there is no Trinity River Forest in Plano. The weighted density of Dallas is much higher than Plano's. A comment like this is similar to the "fact" the metro LA is denser than metro NYC. The average resident of metro NYC lives at a higher density than the average LA resident. The same is true of Dallas v Plano.

Sorry, I know it's not the point of the thread, but I had to interject.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I predict that in 20 years the innercity will be the place to be while the burbs will be viewed as a place that lower income folks migrate. This sprawl cannot last for ever and what is going to happen when DFW bumps up the Oklahoma border. the Fair Park area or West Dallas is going to be area's folks wish they could afford to live in.

Possible. What you're envisioning is the LA model. "Downtown" LA is revitalizing and the poor are now washing out to Riverside.

However it could go the SF way. As pricey as SF is, seems San Jose has become a second nucleus. Dallas could go that way.

Whatever the case is, it will depend on the price of gas. If the price of triples again (it was $0.99 in 1999), commuting to downtown Dallas from exurbs may be cost prohibitive.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Texas View Post
We have nothing against suburbs -- we live in one. You could even call our current subdivision "cookie cutter."

But, we don't live in Frisco. In fact, we've actively avoided it in both of our house searches over the last 5 years. When we first moved back here, we were coming from an 1800 sq ft condo in northern California. When we looked in Frisco, it seemed like it was geared towards getting THE BIGGEST house for your money. We got lost wandering around 4500 sq ft model homes... we eventually ended up paying about the same money for a 3500 sq ft home close to our work (Las Colinas).

When we moved again about 18 months ago, we were looking for a bigger home (adding two more kids will do that to ya ) but were turned off from Frisco by the schools, and the "Frisco attitude." Admittedly, our impressions of the latter have been formed mostly by two of our friends, who live in a subdivision that's full of people who aren't rich but pretend to be... maybe that's not representative of Frisco as a whole. Anyway, we ended up finding that we could get plenty of house in Flower Mound, with fantastic schools.

I don't think Frisco is awful or anything, and if we worked in, say, Plano, we'd probably consider it closely. Maybe. I still think we'd end up in Plano just for the schools.
"When we moved again about 18 months ago, we were looking for a bigger home (adding two more kids will do that to ya ) but were turned off from Frisco by the schools, and the "Frisco attitude." Admittedly, our impressions of the latter have been formed mostly by two of our friends, who live in a subdivision that's full of people who aren't rich but pretend to be... maybe that's not representative of Frisco as a whole. Anyway, we ended up finding that we could get plenty of house in Flower Mound, with fantastic schools"

I agree with this...from my experience areas like Colleyville/Prosper/Flower Mound/Fairview/are more "Volvo " where Frisco is more "Escalade".

Those areas are all large lot towns,maybe there is a correlation in attitude/ priorities and the keeping up with the Jones Factor? I think it takes a certain type of person to like the idea of living in a 5,0000 square foot house on a zero lot.That is partly why I think so many people find the concept of a good portion of Frisco ridiculous. Asthetically,an entire neighborhood of gaudy looking huge houses on zero lots looks tacky.Most people would choose the same large house on a lot that is fitting.I think that many people who can not afford that large house on a lot that matches do Frisco. Larger lots mean higher property taxes and up keep costs.

I have noticed a definite difference in families we have met living in Frisco vs the other areas I mentioned.Almost all of them have more income but none of them are flashier.Interesting....

Last edited by CREW747; 03-29-2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM

162 posts, read 303,534 times
I am not a Frisco lover but its not right to use one wide brush to color it all. I am positive that like any other town, they have saints, good, bad and the ugly there. I just can't believe that Prosper is all Volvo and as soon as you cross city line, its all Escalade. None of these cities offer good commute, character, scenery, arts, history, top schools or anything else. Both are destinations of showroom home buyers mostly but there has to be social and mental diversity.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM

325 posts, read 756,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Possible. What you're envisioning is the LA model. "Downtown" LA is revitalizing and the poor are now washing out to Riverside.

However it could go the SF way. As pricey as SF is, seems San Jose has become a second nucleus. Dallas could go that way.
This.

Take away Northern California, and industry has been stagnating in the state, and the surburban sprawl has reversed. The other issue is that the only thing that's been done to improve gridlock around the state has been some additions of HOV's to a few of the major bottlenecks. Not much in the way of new highways or major renovations (they'd rather spend their money on a boondoggle of a LA to SF high speed rail).

The DFW area has multiple nucleis, around which industry and corporations are are built. Dallas, FW, Plano, Richardson, etc. Drive down DNT from Eldorado to 635, and tell me how many large facilities you see from $1B+ companies. Not Walmarts, but places with lots of white collar positions. And that's not even counting all the major healthcare facilities. There may be a lot of jobs in Dallas County, but there's plenty of industry within reasonable driving distance of most of Collin County as well, and that's not changing anytime soon, given the way Texas as a whole is continuing to try to attract more and more companies to the state from places like California.

The biggest challenge to the continuing outward sprawl won't be the lack of jobs or schools, or even traffic congestion issues, but the lack of critical infrastructure, ie, Water. They may expand the power grid, but add a few more million people to the area, water will become an even bigger issue. That's one of the big roadblocks for one of the other big mega cities that Arizona planners have been touting for years, namely that Phoenix-Tuscon would eventually be fully developed along that corridor. Not happening in my lifetime....

Old 06-07-2016, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
There are a lot of reasons why I hate Frisco tx, first off the restaurants suck, it's waaay too out north, too many rich and snobby people, and there are too many white people. I think Dallas area such as lake highlands, Lakewood, the village, and lower Greenville is way better and more chill than this rats ass city hell to Frisco!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
With our house currently undergoing repairs from hail damage, we've been cooped up in a hotel in the border of Frisco and Plano. In the two weeks we've been here, we've travelled up and down Preston, from Plano deep into Frisco. I have to admit, I'm impressed now. Loads of shopping, restaurants, clean looking and safe. People out and about walking/jogging etc. throw in the rapidly improving schools and excellent location to new jobs in Plano and I can see why it's so attractive to families.

I admit I was one of the people who thought Frisco would be played out in 20 years. Now I'm not so sure. From anecdotes, Frisco homes now command a premium for its schools now.

One interesting development. Frisco has discovered whatever the draw Plano used to have for Indians, and is drawing them in by the boatload. I attended my nephew's "graduation" from a Frisco daycare. Out of 70 graduates, I would estimate that 30 per cent bring Indian/Pakistani.
A coworker lives very close to Richwoods, half her street is now Indian. It's getting to the point that non Indians talk of selling and moving to Prosper to avoid living in Little Mumbai. All anecdotal so take it as you will.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 PM

75 posts, read 91,628 times
There are plenty of East Asians/South Asians to go around and more keep coming with tech companies. They like to buy new houses so no matter Frisco, Allen, Flower Mound, Coppell, Plano or Southlake, you'll find them. If one buys in a subdivision, his friends like to keep up. Some prices points are more popular, usually $300K-600K, according to my realtor friends. Avignon in Plano is predominantly East Asians/South Asians. Toll Brothers, KHOV and Grand subdivisions are very popular among them. If street faces a certain direction then you'll see even more South Asian buyers. If there is a ethnic grocer or temple near by like in Richwoods then it gets extra points.

Last edited by CookieBoss80; 06-07-2016 at 10:09 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sap11390 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why I hate Frisco tx, first off the restaurants suck, it's waaay too out north, too many rich and snobby people, and there are too many white people. I think Dallas area such as lake highlands, Lakewood, the village, and lower Greenville is way better and more chill than this rats ass city hell to Frisco!
So you created an account and dug up a 3 year old thread just to post about how much you hate Frisco? Okay then. It's your opinion and you're entitled to and I understand that some people don't like Frisco or the northern suburbs in general, but I have to laugh at the "too many white people" comment. Have you been to Frisco lately, especially the SE section? As a few other people pointed out, there are a ton of Indian/Middle Eastern people that live in this area.

My daughter is in daycare in NW Frisco and she has kids in her class that are African American, mixed race (including her), Asian, Hispanic, and white. Probably half of her class is non-white. I could argue all of your other points but I'm sure it will go in one ear and out the other, so I won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas