Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM

105 posts, read 240,598 times

Advertisements

We have lived in the Dallas area for over 10 years and we are looking to move to a neighborhood that has:
Good schools
Good retail
Good community
Diversity and
Ideally in a smaller town.
We have narrowed it down to the Reservation and JJ Pearce and we are trying to get our house ready to put on the market - but there is nothing there in the reservation right now. Anyone have any experience getting in the door there? We are hoping to buy and sell at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,249,908 times
Your Realtor can set up a search for the reservation and a soon as a new listing comes around, you get notified.

I hope you are able to buy without having to sell your current homes. Since homes fly off the market in this neighborhood, sellers are not going to accept a contingency even with a full price offer.

I had a buyer years ago that wanted to be in one particular neighborhood in Grapevine as popular as the Reservation, I walked the neighborhood and knocked on doors and asked the owners if they wanted to sell. One gentleman actually said "well, if the price if right, heck, I'll sell".

After 13 years, my client (who is a friend now) is still happily living in that home.

Sometimes Realtors send mass mailings to neighborhoods saying we have a buyer but it's also a marketing tactic to get listings so homeowners don't take them seriously. A more proactive approach is necessary.

Naima

Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks!!
I'm just not sure about how we finance buying before we sell!
We are going to talk about a mass mailing with our realtor.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Default Waterview preservation in Richardson

I'm unfamiliar with this neighborhood. Is it a good back up for us if our first choice is the reservation?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
Thanks!!
I'm just not sure about how we finance buying before we sell!
We are going to talk about a mass mailing with our realtor.
Thanks
If you want to be really stalkerish, check out the Dallas CAD listings on all of the properties in the Reservation. By looking at the historical tax records you can see who actually owns the houses. In my neighborhood there are several vacant properties being held by the previous owners' estates. The heirs are holding onto the homes for various reasons. Some of them can't bear to sell the property, others rent them out, and others just need a kick up the rear to prompt them to sell.

For example the house next door to me is vacant; the owner's parents owned it, they passed away and he inherited it, and rented it to various family members over the years. It has been vacant the entire time I've lived next door (approaching 4 years), and the owner comes by at least once a week to check up on the property and maintain it. I'm 100% certain he'd sell if he was properly motivated by a juicy offer. I'm also certain he's not the only person in Richardson in that situation.

On the other hand, the house across the street is also vacant. The owner's mother lived there until she died....in the early 1990s. The house has been vacant ever since and also has not had electricity for the better part of a decade. One of the other neighbors said she hasn't seen anyone go inside for at least ten years. A lawn service comes by once a week to maintain the yard and a couple of times a year a tree guy comes and trims the trees, but that's it. That guy will never sell.

If you don't have your heart set on the Reservation, there are two empty lots in the neighborhood right next to mine between West Shore and Arapaho along Newberry. One is on Newberry itself and is for sale by a 'build to suit' builder who will probably force you to use his plans. The other lot is on Brookhurst Drive and has been owned by a construction company for 6 years. The story in the 'hood is that the old house exploded due to a gas leak. It was before my time so I have no idea. The lot has been on and off the market for a few years. Right now it's not on the market, but the owners are paying tax on it so if you really wanted it, you could probably get it. It's at 820 Brookhurst Drive. I feel fine giving the address because nobody actually lives there.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD View Post
I'm unfamiliar with this neighborhood. Is it a good back up for us if our first choice is the reservation?
Depends.

Waterview Preservation is zoned to different schools; I believe they are zoned to Heights Elementary, Richardson West Junior High, and Richardson High School. There are 3 properties there currently for sale; one is $250k and has a weird layout and a leaking roof on the enclosed patio. (I went to the open house.) The other two are in the $600-$700k price range.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you want to be really stalkerish, check out the Dallas CAD listings on all of the properties in the Reservation. By looking at the historical tax records you can see who actually owns the houses. In my neighborhood there are several vacant properties being held by the previous owners' estates. The heirs are holding onto the homes for various reasons. Some of them can't bear to sell the property, others rent them out, and others just need a kick up the rear to prompt them to sell.
Excellent suggestion. I'd add that you can drive through the neighborhood at night around 8pm and see which lights are on or not. Or drive the alleyway on trash day to see which ones have the trash out.

Make your list then have your realtor approach the owner(s).

Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Excellent suggestion. I'd add that you can drive through the neighborhood at night around 8pm and see which lights are on or not. Or drive the alleyway on trash day to see which ones have the trash out.

Make your list then have your realtor approach the owner(s).
Good suggestion, though my neighbor's vacant property has interior lights on timers. The only way you'd know it was vacant is if you checked the alley on trash day...or peeked in the windows and saw no furniture.

The other vacant house on my block...eeeesh...it's been vacant and neglected for so long that I shudder to think how bad of a state of disrepair it's in. An inspector's head would probably explode.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
VERY different price points, so if price is limited, it's not a good backup.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 PM

179 posts, read 557,417 times
Waterview Preservation is zoned to Arapaho Classical Magnet Elementary in parts. You may want to consider parts of the Heights Park neighborhood as it is lovely and maybe even Canyon Creek. My first choice over that way was Spring Creek, but we were priced out of that neighborhood. We ultimately decided on Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas