U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM

162 posts, read 241,917 times

Advertisements

My realtor sent me this new listing in Barksdale area, where I'm renting at the moment.

realtor.com

It has no pool and backs to a main road but otherwise matches most of our criterion. Price seems reasonable for the area. Is there anything that I'm missing by looking at the listing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,397,442 times
It's really not that busy of a road at all. 140/sqft seems pretty reasonable for the area, schools and the look of the interior.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,255,367 times
Personally I wouldn't buy a house that backs to a busy road.

That house's backyard is dreadful and the paint colors are horrific.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,832,826 times
Actually I think the house (paint colors and all, though some are a little on the bright side) is pretty nicely updated for a 15+ year old home. And paint is an easy thing to fix. I hope no one buys a home because they don't like the paint colors???

Not so sure on the backyard/road issue, though.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,984,341 times
Don't agree AT ALL that Midway is NOT a busy road. I mean I guess if you a comparing to a highway then it's not...lol! So yes, busy...and not just during rush hour. With the mall so close you will get a lot of all day/ weekend traffic too. Of course, some people don't care what they back to...especially if they never set foot in their backyard. Would be an absolute dealbreaker for me, but obviously there are people ok with it based on the number of houses in the area that back to busy streets. Just understand that it WILL make resale more difficult in the future and you will have to price accordingly. But likewise, to your benefit, you should expect that the current list price also reflect that.

And speaking of what's behind the house...since you mention you ideally wanted a pool, I would point out that yard is teeny weeny, and is unlikely big enough to add a pool, if that's in your plans at some point. Of course, with the traffic, you probably wouldn't want to be back there anyway so there you go

Outside of those things (which you are obviously already aware of), house seems nice. Can't tell much about the floorplan from the pictures, and that usually rules out 90% of house immediately, for me anyway. Decor is unpleasant in some rooms, but nothing a few cans of paint and a furniture change can't fix. Did notice the pictures were taken with one of those angled lens that make the rooms look bigger than they actually are. Just be prepared for that if/when you go see it. Nice long driveway on the front for the kids to mess around on playing ball, etc, and the little semi-cudesac (no idea what those are actually called) in front of the house is a plus when kids playing out front. Actual street will probably see little traffic.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,397,442 times
I was comparing busy to more of a spring creek/preston. I think it's somewhere between that and a residential road.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM

172 posts, read 289,479 times
If backing to a busy road doesn't bother you then its a nice house. It's a very nice subdivision and you can walk to the school, golf course and probably even to the mall. You may want to change paint in some rooms and improve backyard landscape but otherwise it looks nicely upgraded in pictures. Price seems in line with the area and lower than homes which back to the creek and course. If you are renting nearby than you already know that all three tollways are hardly few minutes away which is a huge plus. I say go check it out.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

2,119 posts, read 5,497,860 times
I drive by there in midway at least 3-4 times a week. Pretty nice house.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM

3,815 posts, read 3,725,320 times
The next door neighbors all have similar backyards and have pools. Diff strokes for diff folks.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,255,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Actually I think the house (paint colors and all, though some are a little on the bright side) is pretty nicely updated for a 15+ year old home. And paint is an easy thing to fix. I hope no one buys a home because they don't like the paint colors???

Not so sure on the backyard/road issue, though.
In a single room, sure, it's easy to fix; but if you're dealing with very high ceilings and an entire 3000+ k sq ft house to paint it can get overwhelming. And, if you pay someone to paint it, expensive.

I wouldn't let paint colors put me off an otherwise perfect house, but it might affect my offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or