U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM

509 posts, read 1,051,012 times

Advertisements

I was having lunch w/my dd today and she invited her friends over to the table to have lunch with us (dd is in middle school) and I noticed the wonderful diversity amongst her friends. Her friends were either born here or not but most of them have parents who definitely have not been born here. Amongst here circle of friends is one girl who considers herself of Jewish ancestry, another whose parents are from Mexico, she herself speaks Spanish, another who was born in Vietnam, another whose parents were both born in Romania, another whose parents are from Pakistan and another girl who is African American and then my dd who is mixed between Anglo American and me, Mexican.
So there you have it, a wonderful mix of cultures and this middle school in Garland ISD is not the only one with such diversity because my other children go to an elementary school in GISD and I too see that diversity there. I am quite happy with this area and its school district.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM

297 posts, read 406,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I was having lunch w/my dd today and she invited her friends over to the table to have lunch with us (dd is in middle school) and I noticed the wonderful diversity amongst her friends. Her friends were either born here or not but most of them have parents who definitely have not been born here. Amongst here circle of friends is one girl who considers herself of Jewish ancestry, another whose parents are from Mexico, she herself speaks Spanish, another who was born in Vietnam, another whose parents were both born in Romania, another whose parents are from Pakistan and another girl who is African American and then my dd who is mixed between Anglo American and me, Mexican.
So there you have it, a wonderful mix of cultures and this middle school in Garland ISD is not the only one with such diversity because my other children go to an elementary school in GISD and I too see that diversity there. I am quite happy with this area and its school district.

HEY! I was at my D2's GISD middle school for lunch today as well
Yes, very diverse and very good kids.

D1 is a senior at GHS. Great group of kids from every walk of life and diverse to say the least. Her friends from GHS will be going off to college next year. The list looks very good: Columbia, NYU, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory. Just to name a few.
All of her friends have been over many times through the years. They are a great group of kids that I love having around.

Overall, the district does not get the kudo's it deserves with what they achieve.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM

Although the academies are pushed if the student is talented and gets great grades, I preferred to leave that alone and instead, like w/my dd, she has all honors in 6th grade and I really think that is working out just fine. Either way, I hear good things about the academies in Garland ISD but for me, just having them in honors classes is good too.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,280,195 times
Since you are on the subject of Garland ISD..
What are your thoughts about the New Charter school being built on Beltline and Shiloh?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
What are your thoughts about the New Charter school being built on Beltline and Shiloh?
I don't know anything about it except what is on the sign which says it'll be free or something like that.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:18 PM

297 posts, read 406,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I don't know anything about it except what is on the sign which says it'll be free or something like that.

Same here. Just saw that the other day.

So far from what I have just seen I am not overly impressed with the whole charter school system. Seems to only attract those that do not want their baby in public but can not afford private. Or kid can't hack public school or the best privates. I could be totally wrong. There just is not enough information nor background on their success rates.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Gymrat, I have a totally different impression from the ones by DFIL's house in Pleasant Grove. The parents and the kids have to interview and make the committment. They are the ones who are tired of DISD failing the kids year after year after year. DFIL is very traditional and he's been doing some work (contractor) and he's been impressed with the staff and the requirements to succeed.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
So far from what I have just seen I am not overly impressed with the whole charter school system. Seems to only attract those that do not want their baby in public but can not afford private. Or kid can't hack public school or the best privates. I could be totally wrong. There just is not enough information nor background on their success rates.
I went looking...and found that Charter Schools take the same state tests at the publics. And the data is online.

One of the charter schools in Houston has placed several kids on the AMC honor roll the last two years in a row. Only a handful of schools in the state can say the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or