U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 39,314 times

Advertisements

I'm going to move to Plano / Frisco in a few months and I've read that the Dallas area gets hit with hail the size of tennis balls a few times each year. I saw so many pictures of cars completely destroyed by the hail.

I'll have to buy a new car when I move there but I'm a little hesitant to buy a nice car because I don't want the hail damaging the car. How do you protect your car from the hail? Is it unavoidable and does everyone drive around cars with dents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,255,196 times
We have nicer cars and have never had hail damage. Covered parking at home and work definitely help. Other than that, hail is usually in the weather forecast when it does happen - or even if it's a surprise storm, it usually tracks across the metroplex and you have time to move your car undercover. It's something to be aware of but not freak out over.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM

297 posts, read 407,150 times
Plenty of very nice cars in the Dallas area. We have some. Within a week of buying my 650 Convertible we were out in it eating dinner and it started hailing. It was quick and pretty small. No damage, whew!

In my entire life here only once have we had one vehicle get hail damage. It was our truck. All of the other vehicles were parked in the garage and truck in the drive way. This was 9 years ago and probably the worst hail storm ever in the metroplex. It was very widespread, large jagged hailstones that came down hard in two separate waves in one storm. I've never seen anything like that! We had the truck repaired, roof replaced, fence restained, new lawn furniture, etc., insurance covers most of this. This storm busted out windows in houses all over the metroplex, our neighborhood dodged that but every single house got a new roof. Like I said, first time I've ever seen a hailstorm do that kind of damage.

Most people do get their cars fixed after hail damage. Every now and then you will see some older car that did not get the hail damage taken care of. Probably because the car was worth less than the damage and only had liability insurance.

I'd be much more worried about wind damage than hail damage around here. We have some brutal straight line winds. More fence damage and trees down than the damage from hail.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

988 posts, read 1,895,812 times
when I got caught up in the big hail storm last summer it was very, very random and the hail was huge. Much bigger than a tennis ball. But I really wouldn't worry about things like that. It was one of those random things. Isolated storms do happen here, but they are pretty much never of that severity.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM

390 posts, read 570,695 times
I wouldn't consider hail/storms when buying a car - besides, I'm sure you're smart enough to carry insurance. I've lived in North Texas most of my life. I've never seen hail large enough to damage a car or had my car in an area that has been hit by hail large enough to damage a car. (Now during the big hail storm in East Dallas last summer, my house was hit hard enough to require a new roof but I was out of town - with my car.)

Last edited by seat21d; 03-28-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM

7,080 posts, read 16,908,498 times
It's called a garage! I lived in the Dallas area for 25 years and none of my cars have ever had hail damage. One of my houses needed a new roof from hail damage, but you can't put a garage over a house.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 19,526,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's called a garage! I lived in the Dallas area for 25 years and none of my cars have ever had hail damage. One of my houses needed a new roof from hail damage, but you can't put a garage over a house.

It completely baffles me that people will fill their garage with junk, and park their car out in the driveway where it is exposed to the elements!

The only time I've ever had a car damaged by hail was when I was caught away from home during a storm.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,389,698 times
Just don't get stuck on a freeway during one of these babies. People will just stop under a underpass and make the entire thing a parking lot.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,703,450 times
Our cars have been damaged a few times over the years. I actually bought my teenaged son a brand new car with hail damage after a significant hail storm back in the 90's. It was a killer deal and I paid about $6K TTL for a little Isuzu sedan that operated flawlessly & lasted him for several years until he was adult enough to object to hail knicks on his car! 2 adults ad 2 teenage drivers broadened our exposure. I was lucky because I had covered parking when I worked and have always had a garage. During the hail season -- basically Spring -- I do tend to shop where there is covered parking if I am going to spend more time than a dart and run trip. The times I've been driving when sudden hail seems imminent I have been known to take cover at car wash booths, underpasses and even bank driveups if bank is closed! If there is a hail threat, I rarely drive on freeways -- thinking local surface roads may offer more hiddy spaces. Once I even took quick cover at an apartment complex and squatted in someone's reserved covered space for about 30 minutes. I usually have a book stashed in my car, and these days my internet enabled ipad, too.

Life is full of risks and one should be aware and preplan as much as possible and then live your life the way you want. Insurance, a garage, and if you drive a very pricey car you should be able to afford it.....meaning its no biggie if you have to have it repaired you can afford covering the deductible on your insurance policy.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM

3,535 posts, read 6,959,309 times
I'm going to add too, that it seems like the real weather issues (tornadoes, straight line winds, hail) seem to be more concentrated further west. Ft Worth/Arlington. I've lived in Garland/Plano area for almost 20 years and while I hear about these horrible storms, by the time it crosses the metroplex the storms are still bad but our hail is dime size and the winds aren't what they get further west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas