Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

I re-posted this only to put it in the right thread....Oh and because I really think this is cool.

Dallas - DFW Harlem Shake - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
First a read of that article shows the campaign is mostly about conventions and less about individual/family tourism.

That said a significant number of folks do travel here to shop. If the city sells the notion of visit + shop + see arts district + catch a ballgame etc. they may see a bump.

Conventions are a different matter. I think a lot of locals don't know Dallas is already a significant convention, show, and sports venue. The Lonestar Volleyball tournament is happening now over two (maybe three) weekends at the convention center. I'm fairly sure Lonestar is the biggest volleyball tournament in the country. That one event brings in thousands and thousands of kids and parents who spend big bucks while here. The Dallas Convention Center is so big it can feature Lonestar and two or three other large meetings at the same time.

Between a great airport situation, lots of hotel rooms, things to see and do and a top notch convention center Dallas should sell its ability to host more conventions etc.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Dallas will need more hotel rooms downtown to pull in big conventions. We need a couple more Omni sized hotels first.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is true.....BUT.......I do think that Dallas has realized this and are now just starting to focus on that very Issue. Sometimes as a civillian its hard to REALLY know about EVERYTHING thats going on behind closed doors. There are many projects and venues waiting approval to address this very problem. Some will make it through..most won't. What we have to understand is that these things take time.You will only gradually notice the changes happening. The additions of The Perot Museum ,Deck Park and MHH Bridge is a good start towards focusing on the core for attractions. Once the "Riverfront district" gets going along with the Trinity overlook and Lakes(which is the next phase)added to the new I-30 Bridge; It then will be alot easier to see that Dallas is DEFINATELY headed in the right direction.
I agree. Being challenged for natural attractions, it will take more effort, and it just takes time. Dallas is essentially only 100 years old. It will be a lot more interesting when it is 400.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I re-posted this only to put it in the right thread....Oh and because I really think this is cool.

Dallas - DFW Harlem Shake - YouTube

The park over the Woodall is incontrovertible evidence utterly debunking the naysayers who oppose submersion of the inner ring highways. The inner ring is the largest eyesore infecting downtown Dallas - or any city for that matter. It was a bad idea - a mistake - that happened not just here but nationwide in the 50's and 60's. NYC stopped it before Robert Moses mowed down Greenwich Village. Despite the tremendous cost Boston undid it - and will benefit from fixing that problem from now to eternity. You can actually SMELL the difference. Dallas can do it. This ugly unnecessary intrusion imposed upon the heart of the city for the benefit of people who do not even live here or pay taxes is the very ground Dallas's CENTRAL PARK can and should be constructed. The overwhelming response to the first patch over Woodall ends any debate about what value it will bring to downtown Dallas.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
The park over the Woodall is incontrovertible evidence utterly debunking the naysayers who oppose submersion of the inner ring highways. The inner ring is the largest eyesore infecting downtown Dallas - or any city for that matter. It was a bad idea - a mistake - that happened not just here but nationwide in the 50's and 60's. NYC stopped it before Robert Moses mowed down Greenwich Village. Despite the tremendous cost Boston undid it - and will benefit from fixing that problem from now to eternity. You can actually SMELL the difference. Dallas can do it. This ugly unnecessary intrusion imposed upon the heart of the city for the benefit of people who do not even live here or pay taxes is the very ground Dallas's CENTRAL PARK can and should be constructed. The overwhelming response to the first patch over Woodall ends any debate about what value it will bring to downtown Dallas.
LOL! Nice speech.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post

What in heavens name are you referring to here? I figured I would just ask since when I read this I feel like I am getting dumber by the second.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
What in heavens name are you referring to here?
It's referring to the Big Dig, which buried some of Boston's downtown highways.

I personally don't think city branding works unless your brand is incredibly unique, and find most city slogans to be painfully embarassing. "Big things happen here" is definitely towards the painfully embarassing side, especially with TX's propensity towards obesity and the fact that the big football stadium is in Arlington, and beyond that, I'm not sure I could name the last big thing that happened in Dallas.

Plano's "People connect here" is beyond embarassing, especially considering that something like 90% of vistors come for work purposes and the other 10% probably are visiting relatives. It should be "Plano: Your corporate HQ is here. We hope you are not in trouble".

Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
It's referring to the Big Dig, which buried some of Boston's downtown highways.

I personally don't think city branding works unless your brand is incredibly unique, and find most city slogans to be painfully embarassing. "Big things happen here" is definitely towards the painfully embarassing side, especially with TX's propensity towards obesity and the fact that the big football stadium is in Arlington, and beyond that, I'm not sure I could name the last big thing that happened in Dallas.

Plano's "People connect here" is beyond embarassing, especially considering that something like 90% of vistors come for work purposes and the other 10% probably are visiting relatives. It should be "Plano: Your corporate HQ is here. We hope you are not in trouble".

I agree with you 100%.

I live in Boston and can speak adequately for the Big Dig project..First off it's probably one of the best decisions the City ever made. For various reasons I won't get into at the risk of boring folks and since this is a DFW thread. As far as paying for it, it was expensive, but people here in Boston aren't the only ones paying for it. Whether we like it or not the cost of such projects is baked into your federal tax. So technically, you folks are paying for the Big Dig as well, and getting ZERO benefits out of it.

I am certainly not whining about that. It's how the system works. But obviously there is a lack of understanding there.

Lastly, Dallas is young. I think folks mentioned this. Making comparisons to cities in the Northeast is like comparing an apple to an automobile. It's just not the same and to expect to have what they have is just not possible. Give it time..First thing Dallas should do is address densities within the city itself. It's so spread out within the city limits I think alot of people notice this and it probably creates challenges for everything related to planning, transportation and business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas