U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM

7,077 posts, read 16,885,085 times

Advertisements

One of my clients bought these 3 foot circular rings that sit on top of the water's surface and heat the water through solar from the sun. He said it raises the temp about 5 degrees.

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 03-29-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM

390 posts, read 570,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
One of my clients bought these 3 foot circular rings that sit on top of the water's surface and heat the water through solar from the run. He said it raises the temp about 5 degrees.
That's pretty cool!

On the flip side, my friend has a 100-year old tree shading his pool, probably making it the most pleasant pool in town when it's blazing in July and August (and everyone else is boiling in their pools).

Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM

284 posts, read 381,065 times
Great responses, thank you! I can now cross that off my list of things to worry about. Now I have to worry about the age and condition of the three air conditioners that are in this house we are considering. Good material for another thread early next week

Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 AM

487 posts, read 1,221,122 times
The pool in our old house was heated and we used it a couple of times to have kids parties a little early in the swimming season to knock the temp up a few degrees. We never had a huge spike in our gas bill due to that. Having said that I think if your intent is to keep the pool up to a comfortable swimming temperature constantly that would be a different situation all together.

I am with other posters who recommend some sort of cooling instead. By August pools that aren't shaded can become like huge bath tubs. I actually did a little experiment after a friend suggested that I run my filters and pumps in the middle of the night to cool my current pool down. Running the filters / pumps through the night (assuming the return goes through some sort of waterfall or overflow from the spa to the pool, cools the water a couple of degrees overnight. I was pretty amazed.

Edit to add: I realize the pool drops a few degrees overnight anyway, but with the fountain and waterfall working overnight it dropped an additional 5 degrees.

Last edited by HockeyDadof2; 03-30-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,991,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
Great responses, thank you! I can now cross that off my list of things to worry about. Now I have to worry about the age and condition of the three air conditioners that are in this house we are considering. Good material for another thread early next week

If you really like the house, you can negotiatie repars to the A/C if anything is seriously wrong. If they are functioning, but just old, then make the seller provide a home warranty that covers everything -- the pool, the A/C, etc.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM

718 posts, read 1,094,405 times
I would not be worry about heating the pool , we never use ours......now if I could find a cooling system , that would be great , in the last 2 years , the water was like a hot bath

Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM

297 posts, read 406,773 times
As has already been pointed out I will also add it is NOT expensive to heat a pool a few times in early Spring. We only heat ours when we need to and have never noticed a spike in our gas bill when we have used the heater. There have been many times that a sports end of season party was being held out our house for the kids to swim and the temps dropped that day w/ cloud cover making the pool unbearably cold. I flipped the heater on and made it possible for the kids to swim. I personally would not have a pool that was not heated. I don't care for pool water that is 60-70 degrees which is where ours is at right now.

One friend did not heat their pool and it is a pretty big and deep diving pool. That thing is FRIGID thru most of June. She won't host her annual swim party till July because of it being too cold for us adults to enjoy.

Our pool was put in back in 99 and the heater is still going strong.

Yes, cooling the water in July and August would be great. We have dumped ice in it on occassion for pool parties. I think my husband has already checked on it and I am sure he would love that.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 AM

8,855 posts, read 10,310,313 times
Like so many others, heating the pool has never been an issue. I do have a heater, never used it because so many people pointed out the cost. I'm thinking about having the heater removed.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 AM

578 posts, read 1,210,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
As has already been pointed out I will also add it is NOT expensive to heat a pool a few times in early Spring. We only heat ours when we need to and have never noticed a spike in our gas bill when we have used the heater. There have been many times that a sports end of season party was being held out our house for the kids to swim and the temps dropped that day w/ cloud cover making the pool unbearably cold. I flipped the heater on and made it possible for the kids to swim. I personally would not have a pool that was not heated. I don't care for pool water that is 60-70 degrees which is where ours is at right now.

One friend did not heat their pool and it is a pretty big and deep diving pool. That thing is FRIGID thru most of June. She won't host her annual swim party till July because of it being too cold for us adults to enjoy.

Our pool was put in back in 99 and the heater is still going strong.

Yes, cooling the water in July and August would be great. We have dumped ice in it on occassion for pool parties. I think my husband has already checked on it and I am sure he would love that.
Is your pool shallow? Or exposed to the sun for the majority of daylight hours? These and other factors would determine how long the heater would have to be on for the water to be comfortable. Obviously if the heater doesn't have to be on long you may not see much of a difference. We have a large pool, over half of it is 9' and only gets about 3 hours of full sun. Heating it would take forever and yes, there would be a substantial increase in the heating bill (one neighbor with a similar size and depth pool learned it the hard way!)

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM

89 posts, read 111,798 times
Mine is a gas heater so heating cost is not bad for the benefit but we don't feel the need to do it often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or