Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Central be renamed for George W Bush?
Yes 4 8.16%
No 18 36.73%
Never 27 55.10%
Wait til after he's dead to determine his legacy 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,448,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
We have a winner! This will give us an intersection of the Bush Turnpike and the Bush Expressway.

Don't we have enough confusion with things like "Take North Dallas Tollway south"?
Ok, what is it with people in this thread not doing their research? Its not the entire highway. It's a small stretch around Knox and SMU Blvd.

*Again I'm still not for it as it seems like a giant unneeded waste of time, but this is how the general public gets misinformed quickly and makes incorrect, uneducated and rash decisions.

Last edited by bencronin04; 03-29-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM

871 posts, read 2,683,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I can hear the Cali transplants (no pun intended) now.. take the Bush north, then the Bush fly away to the Bush west.

Maybe call it the Gov Bush...

'Take the Gov to the Prez...'

But really, federal employees don't need local landmarks named after them. The guy now has his own bookstore, leave it at that.
LOL, but this applies to SoCal transplants only.

In NorCal, we just say the number,

NorCal people like myself say "Bush to 75" while SoCal people say "The Bush to the 75."

But I agree, two highways (even if one is a turnpike) called "Bush" would confuse people, especially considering they have a major intersection.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,450,111 times
Given Central is the biggest mess in Tx, I think it's perfectly fitting. Plus think how much fun it would be making up nicknames. The Shrubway. The Dumbway. The Chimpway. They could plant lots of shrubs.

But then Dick will feel snubbed by Shrub. I'll also lobby for 35 to be the Halliburton Highway.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,911,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Its not the entire highway.... *Again I'm still not for it as it seems like a giant unneeded waste of time, but this is how the general public gets misinformed quickly and makes incorrect, uneducated and rash decisions.
You're right, there will be no corner of Bush and Bush. I stand corrected.

While we're politely pointing out misconceptions, let's talk about this misinformation that...

Quote:
It's a small stretch around Knox and SMU Blvd.
When in fact, it's several miles of U.S. 75 - hardly a "small stretch".

Quote:
Sec. 225.0331. PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH EXPRESSWAY. (a)
Notwithstanding Section 225.001(c), the portion of U.S. Highway 75
in Dallas County between its intersection with Interstate Highway
30 and its intersection with Park Lane is designated as the
President George W. Bush Expressway. The designation is in addition
to any other designation.
To that, I have to say that I agree with this poster:

Quote:
Ok, what is it with people in this thread not doing their research?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,849,115 times
If we, the ones that at least read enough to participate in this forum, are uninformed and confused, what about the ignorant masses?

Please do not rename any portion of Central as Bush Freeway.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,042,020 times
Never. This isn't a politics forum, so I won't go into details, but there's enough bad blood between Bush Jr and the general populace that this is a horrible idea. I'm not even happy the guy chose to live in Dallas. He should have retired to his ranch... Lord knows he spent half his presidency on vacation there.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,549,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Given Central is the biggest mess in Tx, I think it's perfectly fitting. Plus think how much fun it would be making up nicknames. The Shrubway. The Dumbway. The Chimpway. They could plant lots of shrubs.
That might ALMOST make it worth it...lol!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,456,191 times
Quote:
Ok, what is it with people in this thread not doing their research? Its not the entire highway. It's a small stretch around Knox and SMU Blvd.

*Again I'm still not for it as it seems like a giant unneeded waste of time, but this is how the general public gets misinformed quickly and makes incorrect, uneducated and rash decisions.
To be fair, the first SEVERAL articles I read about the proposal did not mention it being a small stretch but just Central in general.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,448,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
To be fair, the first SEVERAL articles I read about the proposal did not mention it being a small stretch but just Central in general.
I blame the media.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM

5,258 posts, read 6,369,583 times
Central Expressway was originally named after the Houston and Texas Central Railroad, so Central Expressway actually has some history unlike lots of things in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas