U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM

5,220 posts, read 5,573,508 times

Advertisements

I'm a professional gay black male in his mid 40's looking to relocate to Dallas in 2 years to be closer to family also warmer climate and lower cost of living is nice too. I'm currently In Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood. I'm also looking at St. Louis so if anyone has a comparison of all three I would love your input.

I do work from home so I'm open to all areas of the city. I am not looking to re create Chicago or any other city for that matter. If I'm living in Dallas I want to live in Dallas not Chicago. However, I must live in a walkable diverse neighborhood! No Suburbs!I enjoy organic grocery shopping (I know that's an odd hobby but it's my hobby please don't make fun) I love being around fitness oriented intellectuals. I love parks and progressive people.

For those who are familiar with St. Louis and Chicago I love areas like Hyde Park, South Loop and Edgewater in Chicago as well as Central West End and Tower Grove in St. Louis.

I will be renting for the first year until I identify a neighborhood good for me. Prefer a two bedroom apartment under 1500 but want as low as possible.

Once again I'm trying to get some ideas on where to start my search when visiting Dallas this summer. I had post several years back and this forum was very helpful at that time but my employer shipped me off to Chicago. This time the decision is more personal than business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,248,304 times
Oak Lawn sounds like what you want. It's Dallas' traditional "gayborhood" -- Cedar Springs Avenue is where many of the gay bars/dance clubs and the annual pride parade are -- but it's full of young professionals of all stripes and it's booming with condo and apartment construction. Personally, I really like North Oak Lawn. If you look at a map of Dallas, it would be the streets between Lemmon Ave. and the city of Highland Park border. It has quiet, leafy streets with some older but well-maintained duplexes and apartments as well as some newer condo/townhouse construction. And there's a Whole Foods right there.

Oak Lawn is right next to Uptown, the magnet for young professionals in Dallas. It's full of bars, restaurants, the Magnolia theater for some arthouse films, and gyms like Gold's, Trophy Fitness, and Energy Fitness. Supposedly, Whole Foods is interested in building a new store in Uptown. The problem is Uptown can be expensive and you might find more in your price range in Oak Lawn (especially in the southern part of Oak Lawn which is more transitional but is the site of a lot of new construction right now).

In either case, you're close to Love Field, the Dallas North Tollway, and Central Expressway, as well as downtown. So either area is very convenient.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times
U may want to check out the neighborhood nearest the Dallas Farmer's Mkt Dallas Farmer's Market as they're planning to revitalize the mkt into a more community-feel. There's already a number of townhomes in the area. Downtown Dallas is making strides to becoming a 'go-to' area and Deep Ellum speaks for itself as far as entertainment is concerned.
Do a satellite map of the area and you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm not gay so I can't really speak for the neighborhoods that might be more to your liking, however some former colleagues have found Uptown or Oaklawn & Oakcliff to be pretty diverse as they either live and/or work in the arts district. As I recall a few years ago Oaklawn was something of a rehab renaissance as same-sex couples were buying and renovating a lot of the older homes in the neighborhood. As a result, property values increased and made home ownership a lot more pricey. There's another neighborhood close to Oaklawn that has been dubbed "LoryLand" ...the story goes that a real estate broker named Lory was well known in the LGBT community and sold a lot of properties there as they were more affordable than Oaklawn.

While you're not into suburbs, I will tell you that Addison Circle and Vetruvian Park is quick nice. About 10 minutes from downtown via tollroad.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM

As an addendum to your question about being near fitness facilities, Oak Lawn and Uptown are close to the Katy Trail, a mostly shaded running/cycling trail that runs from the American Airlines Center near downtown up to SMU. It's full of runners/walkers/cyclists, especially on weekends.

Katy Trail - Uptown - Dallas, TX

Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the information.

I've not been to the Katy Trail. It sounds like a place I'd love to jog. I've never been to Dallas during the summer but I can imagine jogging in the heat of the day could be un healthy? But if there is plenty of shade around, it would be nice.

I remember Oak Lawn from visiting 8 years ago. Very nice area. I've never connected with the gay scene in bigger cities like Chicago. Im more into performing arts especially with a local flair, good food and people watching. Most of my social life is with straight people. That may change in Dallas but that's my history. I would think Dallas is big enough to accommodate my life style in a big way especially since it's very transient with s very diverse population.

How is the area for professional blacks over 40 who are single? How is the dating scene for someone like me who would probably not enjoy hanging in clubs? I've heard some cities are not for older gay men especially black men? But I've not had s problem in Chicago at all.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:21 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,328,438 times
I'd agree with the entry by TrueDat, the streets between Lemmon Ave. and the city of Highland Park border. It has quiet, leafy streets with some older but well-maintained duplexes and apartments as well as some newer condo/townhouse construction. And there's a Whole Foods right there.

Open a google map and search zip code '75219'. Zoom in to the intersection of Lemmon Ave and Wycliff. Then take the Google 'Street View Man' and put on Hawthorne, just west of Throckmorton. You'll get a view of the neighborhood and some outstanding duplexes (up/down) as well as a variety of apartments and townhomes.

This is called 'NORTH' Oak Lawn and abuts Highland Park... the top dog location in the city of Dallas... excepting for Lakewood. And although some describe Oak Lawn as the 'gay area', it has become more upscale for breeders as well.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I'd agree with the entry by TrueDat, the streets between Lemmon Ave. and the city of Highland Park border. It has quiet, leafy streets with some older but well-maintained duplexes and apartments as well as some newer condo/townhouse construction. And there's a Whole Foods right there.

Open a google map and search zip code '75219'. Zoom in to the intersection of Lemmon Ave and Wycliff. Then take the Google 'Street View Man' and put on Hawthorne, just west of Throckmorton. You'll get a view of the neighborhood and some outstanding duplexes (up/down) as well as a variety of apartments and townhomes.

This is called 'NORTH' Oak Lawn and abuts Highland Park... the top dog location in the city of Dallas... excepting for Lakewood. And although some describe Oak Lawn as the 'gay area', it has become more upscale for breeders as well.

Good luck
75209 is a very good recommendation! I have family in N. Texas and Plano. Very easy access to the freeway. I love wooded areas.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM

974 posts, read 1,758,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Thanks for the information.
How is the area for professional blacks over 40 who are single? How is the dating scene for someone like me who would probably not enjoy hanging in clubs? I've heard some cities are not for older gay men especially black men? But I've not had s problem in Chicago at all.
I can't help you there with this as I wouldn't know about the gay dating scene. But I do think there's an article that you might be interested as far as Af-American Professionals in Dallas is concerned. It may be germane to your overall interests concerning all things Dallas. And please keep in mind, this is just one article that appeared not too long ago in D-Magazine.

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM

You might also be interested in North Oak Cliff, just a few miles southwest of downtown, if you like more wooded areas. Oak Cliff is slightly hillier and more green that many parts of Dallas. It's very diverse with a large gay population and some of the city's best restaurants located in or near the Bishop Arts District. There's a real community feel with lots of festivals, ranging from Mardi Gras to Bastille Day to Earth Day.

The drawbacks for some are: the lack of a lot of big retail, having to cross the river and drive through/around downtown to get to shopping/work/entertainment in Uptown or N. Dallas, and the largely older housing stock. Newer construction is just now starting to come online as the area becomes more discovered. (For many Cliff residents, these are all plusses as Oak Cliff feels more separate with its own personality and history.)

Cede the popularity of Oak Cliff | What You Must Do in Dallas | D Magazine

Oak Cliff Owns Dallas Observer Best Of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas