U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,697,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
While I like both cities, I tend to lean more towards Dallas. I like the diversity and economy of the DFW metro and for healthcare biz, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with as many opportunities in healthcare in DFW.
Social amenities galore and if you need a quick change of pace... a major hub airport to get you just about anywhere with tons of direct-flight options. Of course you can save a buck or two with Southwest Airlines out of Love Field...you'll just have to deal with one or two stops along the way.

Austin has been called a Texas version of "Hollyweird / SoCal"... and if live-music is your thing, it's arguably the live-music capital of the world....especially with SXSW each year. But I still lean towards Dallas, esp. with all the changes that have been taking place with the lifestyle clusters around parts of the city. Plus I'm jazzed about how the downtown area is taking on a new energy, re-doing the farmer's mkt, etc., etc.
Austin has a consistently lower unemployment rate than Dallas/Plano

Unemployment in the U.S. - Google Public Data Explorer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:34 PM

98 posts, read 520,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
How can we help you if you won't say what you dislike about Boston? Comparing 2 cities in a vacuum isn't useful. And you should be polite to people trying to hekp.

The comment actually was not helpful in the least bit as I never said I disliked Boston. How could I. I was born there. FYI I have not lived in Boston in well over a decade. I can't comment on what is going on there now. The whole point is that I am from a major city.

Thanks to the posters who commented who were helpful!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I would overall agree with this. Dallas is more cosmopolitan and has more big cities things to do, but Austin is better for outdoor activities. A good PT job (especially if you are after a specific specialty) will be harder to get in Austin than in Dallas.

That's what folks were saying from my research. For Physical therapy I may have to take a hit on what I want salary wise.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
No way is Austin more cosmopolitan, but it's definately more of those other things.

OP, you weren't very specific about what you want out of a city. Can you expand on that?

I am used to plenty of events and opportunities to meet people in the evening hours and weekend. I don't like to be hard pressed to find something to do with continuously driving to a major city to do it. That gets tired after all. I know. I have done just that for the past months.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:49 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
I would have to disagree with the statement that Austin is more cosmopolitan. Even as far back as 2003 according to the first link below, Dallas had a much higher percentage of foreign-born residents and it has much larger African-American and Hispanic communities. Austin, though, has a larger Asian community in terms of percentages.

Census Bureau: Dallas ranks 13th for foreign-born residents - Dallas Business Journal

Here's the most recent census for Dallas:

Dallas (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And for Austin:

Austin (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
If you're looking for a good dating pool, don't come to Dallas. I'd recommend Austin.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,301,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I would have to disagree with the statement that Austin is more cosmopolitan. Even as far back as 2003 according to the first link below, Dallas had a much higher percentage of foreign-born residents and it has much larger African-American and Hispanic communities. Austin, though, has a larger Asian community in terms of percentages.

Census Bureau: Dallas ranks 13th for foreign-born residents - Dallas Business Journal

And for Austin:

If we are comparing just the city of Dallas and the city of Austin, Austin has more Asians. However when you throw in suburbs to the north of Dallas, there is nothing in Austin that comes close. Heck, Plano has almost as many Asians as the city of Austin. By the time you throw Garland, Carrollton, and Irving, and compare it to all the Asians in all the Austin metro area, its not even close. There are more Asians in DFW by percentage and by number vs. Austin metro area.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
I am used to plenty of events and opportunities to meet people in the evening hours and weekend. I don't like to be hard pressed to find something to do with continuously driving to a major city to do it. That gets tired after all. I know. I have done just that for the past months.
I would say it depends on what you like. If your interests lean more towards the outdoorsy, then I'd vote Austin (assuming all things being equal with your job situation) because of the proximity to the Hill Country, the cycling culture, etc. But if you like more city things -- theater, museums, shopping, a broader variety of restaurants -- then you'll probably enjoy DFW more. That's not to say Austin doesn't have those things but there's just a lot more of it in North Texas than Central Texas. Much of it is a function of population: North Texas is home to nearly 7 million people. The Austin metro is just under 2 million.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,697,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

And for Austin:

Yes, I think you're talking about a more diverse population, I'm talking about an atmosphere that brings about ease and acceptance of different cultures. They go hand in hand, but are not the same thing. For instance, Austin is one of the most well read cities in the Nation. Moderator cut: racist

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-31-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,301,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes, I think you're talking about a more diverse population, I'm talking about an atmosphere that brings about ease and acceptance of different cultures. They go hand in hand, but are not the same thing. For instance, Austin is one of the most well read cities in the Nation. Moderator cut: racist
When taking in the suburbs, there are several times as many Asians in Dallas area vs Austin area even leaving out Fort Worth. The concentration of Asians is also higher in Dallas vs. Austin by that same metric. Austin only comes out on top when only taking city propers into account.

As far as immigration is concerned, even excluding Mexican immigration, immigration into the Dallas area is over 4x higher than the Austin area.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-31-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or