U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM

98 posts, read 522,531 times

Advertisements

I have been out in TX area working as a contractor sine June of last year as a traveling physical therapy professional. Frankly I am bored and depressed out of my mind with the locations they have me going to out here in TX. I was stuck in East Texas( Beaumont, Orange, Pinehurst) for the last few months and recently had to go to Grosbeck and Fairfield TX. Ugh I can't wait to leave this place. I am a city girl and was born and raised in Boston and always had something to do and the people were friendlier. My contract is almost up and I am about to start looking for a permanent job( traveling has you going to the places noone in their right mind would want to work nevermind live)

The money was good but I'm just not happy at this point and came out here to enjoy myself and have some sort of social life. For me that means moving to a larger city where I can meet some people and form friendships. I'm single in my mid 30's and would love to settle down and perhaps meet someone who is family oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,772,024 times
Whats wrong with Boston?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:03 PM

98 posts, read 522,531 times
Why ask about Boston when I am asking about the cities mentioned? Maybe you should check out the Boston forum. Are you thinking about moving to Boston lol?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,739,207 times
Being from Dallas, I'd say Austin has more atmosphere, it's prettier, more laid back, less money oriented, more cosmopolitan. I'd have moved there long ago, if not for my job location.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,988,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Being from Dallas, I'd say Austin has more atmosphere, it's prettier, more laid back, less money oriented, more cosmopolitan.
I would overall agree with this. Dallas is more cosmopolitan and has more big cities things to do, but Austin is better for outdoor activities. A good PT job (especially if you are after a specific specialty) will be harder to get in Austin than in Dallas.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM

19,659 posts, read 53,742,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
Why ask about Boston when I am asking about the cities mentioned? Maybe you should check out the Boston forum. Are you thinking about moving to Boston lol?
How can we help you if you won't say what you dislike about Boston? Comparing 2 cities in a vacuum isn't useful. And you should be polite to people trying to hekp.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:20 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,384,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Being from Dallas, I'd say Austin has more atmosphere, it's prettier, more laid back, less money oriented, more cosmopolitan. I'd have moved there long ago, if not for my job location.
No way is Austin more cosmopolitan, but it's definately more of those other things.

OP, you weren't very specific about what you want out of a city. Can you expand on that?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:25 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,772,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillion3147 View Post
Asking what you don't like about Boston to understand what you seek. Your question, at this point, is like me asking someone if they think I should wear the orange shirt or the purple one, knowing nothing else about the rest of what I plan to wear with it.......

Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM

974 posts, read 1,767,257 times
While I like both cities, I tend to lean more towards Dallas. I like the diversity and economy of the DFW metro and for healthcare biz, you'd be hard-pressed to find a place with as many opportunities in healthcare in DFW.
Social amenities galore and if you need a quick change of pace... a major hub airport to get you just about anywhere with tons of direct-flight options. Of course you can save a buck or two with Southwest Airlines out of Love Field...you'll just have to deal with one or two stops along the way.

Austin has been called a Texas version of "Hollyweird / SoCal"... and if live-music is your thing, it's arguably the live-music capital of the world....especially with SXSW each year. But I still lean towards Dallas, esp. with all the changes that have been taking place with the lifestyle clusters around parts of the city. Plus I'm jazzed about how the downtown area is taking on a new energy, re-doing the farmer's mkt, etc., etc.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:46 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,739,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I would overall agree with this. Dallas is more cosmopolitan and has more big cities things to do, but Austin is better for outdoor activities. A good PT job (especially if you are after a specific specialty) will be harder to get in Austin than in Dallas.
I'd think the city of Austin has a higher share of West Coasters, East Coasters, and highly educated foreign immigrants than Dallas does on average. Making the vibe there more cosmopolitan.

You can see it in their sports. Austin teams excel at HS soccer, higher rates of participation in Lacrosse, more bike riders, etc.

You can see the varied foreign food offerings, food trucks, etc. Not that Dallas doesn't do foreign food, just that it is even more common in Austin.

Now if your idea of cosmopolitan is some billionaire in Dallas buying some sculpture from Italy, and sticking it a museum that 1% if the population will bother to see, then Dallas is your city.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-31-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or