U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 31,633 times

Advertisements

Hello all.I'm a single 25 year old black male and I plan on moving to Dallas from*Detroit, MI. I want to pursue a career in firefighting or ems as I'm certified as an emt and firefighter here in Michigan.my questions are:How are the neighborhoods?How are the women there? Friendly?How are public safety careers there for the near future?How's the weather?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,248,304 times
There are all different types of neighborhoods. What are you looking for? Something urban, suburban or rural? Apartment, condo, or single family home? How much can you spend? Where you live may depend on where you work because you don't want to have to commute clear across the Metroplex.

I don't know how the market is for EMT/firefighters specifically but my guess the markets for most jobs are probably better than they are in Detroit. The Dallas job market is doing well right now, at least in comparison to other metros:

Dallas is Adding More Good Jobs than Anywhere Else - Dallas - News - Unfair Park

Weather: springs and autumns are the best seasons, even though they have the greatest chance for tornados. Generally though, the days are nice and temperate. winters aren't bad, you might get a little snow, which can send the whole city into a panic. Though black ice is always a pain and we did get a foot of snow during Super Bowl 2011. In any case, it's nothing like Michigan. Summers are hot, hot, hot -- it's not unusual to have weeks in a row of temperatures over 100.

As for women, again, what are you looking for?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM

As in are the neighborhoods bad like Detroit. Here there are pockets that are nice but a majority of the city is a slum. Just looking for an apartment or even a room to rent temporarily. Never talked to a woman with "southern hospitality" if you will.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,569,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeezy View Post
As in are the neighborhoods bad like Detroit. Here there are pockets that are nice but a majority of the city is a slum.
It's the opposite in Dallas. There are pockets that are sketchy but the majority is made up of nice neighborhoods.
As far as dating in Dallas, there are plenty of nightspots but a hedge fund manager is going to have a much better experience than a firefighter. Oh, and everyone is a hedge fund manager on the weekends here.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

119 posts, read 205,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeezy View Post
Hello all.I'm a single 25 year old black male and I plan on moving to Dallas from*Detroit, MI. I want to pursue a career in firefighting or ems as I'm certified as an emt and firefighter here in Michigan.my questions are:How are the neighborhoods?How are the women there? Friendly?How are public safety careers there for the near future?How's the weather?
I'm from a suburb in the Detroit area, and I can tell you that it is nothing like Detroit--really. We live in Dallas proper and yes, there are pockets of crime but it is not a thing like Detroit. We like our neighborhood as it's quiet but people are friendly. We're in our upper 20s and find a nice mix of people. There are a lot of apartment complexes all around, in Dallas proper and outside of it, so you can definitely find what you're looking for, but I'd recommend having a job secured first. You don't want to travel too far

I'm a woman, so I can't really answer that question, other than I teach college and I find my students to be very nice and some are extremely smart/hardworking, but I find that everywhere. People are very friendly though. My little brother (25 also) and his girlfriend moved in with us a couple of weeks ago and they can't get over how nice people are compared (generally) to MI.

Not sure how public safety careers are. Many states have waiting lists for EMT and firefighters. I've had many students who are EMTs, but I don't know what that says about it!

The weather is awesome. It's hot in the summers but it's not NEARLY as humid as Michigan gets. No one believes me until they visit during the summer. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM

That sounds promising. I may just need a job when I get down there to esatblish myself then continue focusing on my career endeavors.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:19 AM

57 posts, read 140,303 times
I am from the Detroit Metro area too and have been thinking about moving to Dallas. I just want to go somewhere warmer and Dallas seems great!

tracenat-how do you like it down there?

Mikeezy-Have you been to Dallas before? I never have, but just reading about it sounds great

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM

3,081 posts, read 6,601,636 times
Welcome to Dallas, but keep the Detroit politics that ruined that city in Detroit!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,328,438 times
Work in Texas dot com < no spaces, dot is a '.'. Choose > Search all jobs. Use keywords such as 'Dallas', or other great city and 'EMS' or 'EMT', or 'firefighter', or <your choice>. Choose > Search all words

Good luck, travel safe

Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 PM

I've never been to Texas but keep hearing awesome things..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or