U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,870 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I moved here from New York in October 2012 (neither of us are New Yorkers...my last assignment in the Air Force was in New York and we moved after I finished school).

Anyway, we want to start an animal rescue preferably north of Dallas. I am currently working in North Dallas and know there is a strong animal community on that side of the metroplex (lots of doggie daycares, grooming, etc.), so we have focused on that part of town.

We have been looking for a few months now and have looked in Wylie, Princeton and a few other places north of Allen. We are looking for acreage large enough to build our home and the facilities for the shelter (indoor kennels, play areas, etc.).

Looking for any and all recommendations. Searching for land is tough online because there are a number of properties that don't make their way to the various websites we look at and we only have so much time to drive around on the weekends.

Schools will eventually be important to us, as we plan on starting a family as soon as we buy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM

23,611 posts, read 31,169,837 times
Are you wanting to start a kennel business with paying customers, or do you just want to save dogs? If it's the latter, there are tons of breed specific and non-breed specific rescue groups that are always looking for foster volunteers. You don't really have to build your own shelter...that's a massive and probably unnecessary capital outlay, not to mention the issues you might have with neighbors, permits, etc.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM

9,511 posts, read 19,520,907 times
We already have two excellent animal rescue organizations in DFW:
North Texas' Oldest and Largest No-Kill Animal Shelter | Operation Kindness | Saving animals since 1976
Home - SPCA of Texas

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,870 times
Thanks for the replies, but this has been a dream of ours. I think we can all agree that there are more animals who need help than there are people willing to help them. As the metroplex continues to grow, there will be more people with animals and, ultimately, more people who decide that they no longer want those animals. I understand there are great organizations in place, but a quick search on Craigslist will tell you that even they are getting overwhelmed.

With this in mind, my original question was about recommendations for places to live that would best suit our needs and the needs of the shelter.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM

258 posts, read 436,782 times
As long as you are not expecting to get rich in the dog rescue business and are doing it for the right reasons, there will always be a need for more rescues. The kill shelters are at capacity and there are always dogs who don't get tagged in time and are euthanized.

I can't help much on finding you an expanse of land -- I'm a city girl who lives on a tiny lot -- but I will be the first to speak up and say there is a need for more compassionate rescue organizations, especially one that will be able to house pets without relying on foster homes (of which there never seem to be enough). I would also urge you to consider some type of transport service for adoptive families outside the DFW area (or even out-of-state) who would like to adopt, but are unable to travel here and back.

Of the shelters I know of, Operation Kindness is in Carrollton. SPCA is in Irving. And there are various rescues (mostly dependent on fosters) scattered throughout the city. Maybe concentrate on the northeast suburbs (Wylie, Sachse, Rowlett)? Garland ISD has some pretty good schools when you get to that stage. Or you could go with Murphy, which feeds into Plano ISD. But you're getting pretty far out into the country for us city folk. Me? I don't like to go north of Northwest Highway.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM

3,811 posts, read 3,708,952 times
I recommend the outside edges where you might be able to find 1 acre lots - or are you looking for more land than that?

Murphy, Prosper, Celina, Melissa, Princeton, Lucas, Little Elm, The Colony, and Anna would be the cities you would look at.

Maybe the area between McKinney and Frisco if you can pay more for your lot.

A lot of the new properties are master planned subdivisions with HOA's, so you'll probably have to look for existing homes for sale on acreage.

I believe there is an existing property in Plano on Alma available near the PGWB Tollway and Collin Creek Mall that might be for lease/sale if you don't mind your shelter being disconnected from your home. It is near Doggie Wonderland and was recently vacated by the Second Chance SPCA I think. May be wrong. You might also be able to purchase/lease the empty corner lot, and create a doggy block.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,699,563 times
Recommend that you volunteer at the Humane Society or any of the local municipal shelters for about 6 months before you pursue this dream to get a complete understanding. If you look at Craigslist, the majority of people are selling dogs they should not have bred or bought in the first place. Now they want money out of them or they are giving them away because they don't want to take them to a shelter where they might be euthanized because of the severe overpopulation caused by backyard breeders and negligent owners. Here in North Texas approx 17,000 dogs and cats are euthanized monthly. There are many people interested in rescue. The big shortfall is money! The next failure we as humans make is failing to neuter and vaccinate domestic pets. I have seen many people startup rescues over the past decade who fail and leave behind a trail of unhealthy animals. They would have been more effective joining a rescue group. I have been fostering dogs for years now. It is possible to foster dozens of dogs if you have the space so I don't mean to discourage you. Just seriously think you need to align with a functional group who can provide you animals and also work with you on many aspects of vet care, applicant recruitment & evaluation, adoptable animal assessment, etc.

Do an advanced search on Realtor.com. Start with the best location for you and do a 15 mile search based on your needs.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,159,598 times
I would look at something way more than 1 acre. Maybe 5 minimum. I grew up on in a neighborhood of 1.5-3 acre homes and we could always hear our neighbor's dogs barking. I wouldn't want to open up a rescue and then constantly have annoyed neighbors calling the police on you for noise issues.

You might also want to check and see if the city has any ordinances on the number of animals you can keep. When you say North Dallas, do you mean Plano or do you mean in the actual city limits of Dallas? What major intersection? I wouldn't want someone to recommend somewhere far up north off 75 if you are working far away.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,957,967 times
I assume you've done the research with the state regarding animal laws and what's required for a shelter? And are aware that most cities have ordinances that pertain to the number of animals one can keep? And have looked into what it will cost to build and operate a facility?

Someone mentioned Murphy. Murphy is currently reviewing plans for a new Animal Control Shelter. They already have the land/space. The building itself will be about $650K for enough kennel space for 8 dogs and 9 cats. 2000sf. Of course that includes the required quarantine and prescription lock up spaces. And a lab and work room as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,482 times
Default late reply

Hello. Did yall ever find a place to build a shelter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or