U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM

297 posts, read 408,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Aside from the really odd National Merit fixation on this board - I've long wondered why the PSAT/NMSF metric is becoming less and less important to many universities. I got a great answer from a UT admissions type a few weeks ago. Over time they've noted higher numbers of "false positives" and "false negatives" related to PSAT scores over SAT scores. His logic was more or less this, the math portion of the PSAT is quite easy - in a relative sense - therefore it is too easy to prepare for. Secondly a number of kids don't take algebra of any kind until their jr. year therefore many tend to flop the math portion of the PSAT but do better on the real SAT after exposure to some algebra. UT believes the SAT yields significantly fewer false positive and false negative results.
THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
I think I agree with this - just when I think about who did well on the PSAT versus the SAT out of people I know, the SAT seems to be a stronger indicator of intelligence.

I have noticed the same as well.

More and more colleges are dropping auto admits and full rides for NMF. I know for a fact that Alabama is changing their scholarship program next year for NMF's. It will not be a full ride.

I did notice that the OP's kids are in elementary school. If it were me I would focus more on high honors classes and getting them well rounded. Investing in a program like Karen Dillard just to attempt to achieve NMF would be foolish, imho. It does not hold the esteem that so many try to place on such. I'm more concerned with GPA, courses taken, SAT/ACT scores, and EC's after going thru the whole college admissions process this year. NMF is not all that and a bag of chips on the college level any longer.

As was pointed out by Lakewooder, I would stick with a public IB program if the OP wants the IB program. IB students can also take AP tests to help test out of college courses. AP students can not take IB tests.
Yes, Garland does allow students to either be "full IB" or "partial IB". The only requirements are that your scores, classes and grades are suitable for the student to achieve success in the IB program just like any other IB program. For the "partial IB" you chose either the "math/science course" or the "english/history course" in the IB program. A student can take the IB English and History classes and AP for their sciences and math courses. Or vice versa. They would receive the IB Certificate instead of the IB Diploma that full IB students would at graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM

350 posts, read 620,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
THIS!

I did notice that the OP's kids are in elementary school. If it were me I would focus more on high honors classes and getting them well rounded. Investing in a program like Karen Dillard just to attempt to achieve NMF would be foolish, imho. It does not hold the esteem that so many try to place on such. I'm more concerned with GPA, courses taken, SAT/ACT scores, and EC's after going thru the whole college admissions process this year. NMF is not all that and a bag of chips on the college level any longer.
I'm really with you here. Karen Dillard's down the road can help with SAT/ACT (I'll admit it - I used them, and I'll be off to a very good college this fall), but I think that really, a students highest goal should be to take advantage of their education in order to be a more engaged and overall interesting person. As I commented on another thread, and this might be going off on a tangent, too many people do things just "for college" as opposed to the intrinsic value of learning.

Last edited by PISDstudent; 04-03-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM

77 posts, read 175,983 times
Before becoming a NMF, the Senior must take the SAT and do well to become a Finalist.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,864,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
THIS!

IB students can also take AP tests to help test out of college courses. AP students can not take IB tests.
Getting an IB Diploma carries a minimum of 24 college credit hours in Texas (mandated by the legislature) and in some places/universities it carries more credits. If you can combine this with placing out on several IB tests, you can shave a year or more off college (and tuition).

Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 8,193,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Getting an IB Diploma carries a minimum of 24 college credit hours in Texas (mandated by the legislature) and in some places/universities it carries more credits. If you can combine this with placing out on several IB tests, you can shave a year or more off college (and tuition).
You sure about that?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You sure about that?

For Texas, that was the case. Not sure now with all of the new HB 5 changes if it changed IB.

As for other schools, it all depends. Most do accept the credits if you scored their min. score on each subject test. However, my daughter was told more than once that they really prefer you not test out of courses that are in your major unless you scored VERY HIGH and strong on those subjects.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

And yes, adding on, I can say from experience that if you're looking at top privates, don't expect to shave off any time at all. Is there a chance you could? Yes. But it's certainly not a given. It looks like I'll be getting credit for a whopping 3 out of 15 AP tests I will have taken, and I have gotten all 5s, so it's not because of cutoff scores. IB credit is often even harder to get than AP at that level.

IB (and AP too, really they aren't that different) are still great programs, you just can't always count on credit.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,813,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
... It looks like I'll be getting credit for a whopping 3 out of 15 AP tests I will have taken, ..

OK, so if I have this down right (and with this many schools, that's a big if), that rules out MIT, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, UChicago, Rice, Johns Hopkins, Duke, and Northwestern (since it appears you'd get more AP credit than that), and also rules out Harvard (advanced standing only) and Caltech (no AP at all).

Survey says Brown or Stanford - either of their AP policies would just about jibe with that figure. I'm going to guess Brown. Am I close?

---

For anyone in the market - Rice is the most generous of the "Top 20" schools for AP credit. Everything except Human Geography and the various Art APs will generate credits of some sort.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
OK, so if I have this down right (and with this many schools, that's a big if), that rules out MIT, Cornell, Penn, Columbia, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, UChicago, Rice, Johns Hopkins, Duke, and Northwestern (since it appears you'd get more AP credit than that), and also rules out Harvard (advanced standing only) and Caltech (no AP at all).

Survey says Brown or Stanford - either of their AP policies would just about jibe with that figure. I'm going to guess Brown. Am I close?

---

For anyone in the market - Rice is the most generous of the "Top 20" schools for AP credit. Everything except Human Geography and the various Art APs will generate credits of some sort.
Dang you were close.

It's Stanford. I haven't committed yet, but I'm strongly leaning towards it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM

To add to the whole IB/AP credits, my own child that is a senior could be taking more AP tests next month but has opted out of doing so. All to upset a few high school teachers and counselor. The reason they are upset and I understand their point.... look at all of the stats that parents look at to pick a school district and school. NMF, NMSF, AP test scores, etc. So there are all kinds of things parents are looking at that really may not be a true picture of how well that school educates their students. So my commended kid will "hurt" her schools rank when it comes to their AP "score".

Why did she opt out of this one test? She felt she has a lot more going on to put her efforts towards that will make a difference next year in college. She is taking another IB English test and some others that I don't even remember. The only courses she is "testing out" of for college credit are her English and History classes. She will not "test out" of any class for Science or Math. This time of year is very busy for seniors that are getting ready to graduate and are already prepping for college. It is crazy busy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or