Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 21,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm contemplating whether to send my child to a private school with a IB program or get him enrolled in a Plano west ISD where he can take AP programs and eventually take home tutoring to study for National Merit Scholarship. Your advise will be highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Private IB. AP programs are good, and if your kid is the top 1% of ALL kids their age nationally will be just fine. But if not...private IB. They will be.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM

172 posts, read 355,669 times
Plano also offers IB at their IB Academy located on the premises of PEHS.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future4 View Post
Hi,
I'm contemplating whether to send my child to a private school with a IB program or get him enrolled in a Plano west ISD where he can take AP programs and eventually take home tutoring to study for National Merit Scholarship. Your advise will be highly appreciated
1. I'm not aware of IB programs at the best private schools around here.
2. A National Merit Scholarship is worth right at $2,500. There are corporate NMS awards and a few schools auto-admit and or offer significant scholarships for NM winners. OU springs to mind.

National Merit Scholarship Corporation - NMSP

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 21,664 times
Do you know of any good private tutoring program that will prepare your child for National Merit Scholarship

Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM

350 posts, read 749,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by future4 View Post
Do you know of any good private tutoring program that will prepare your child for National Merit Scholarship
The most commonly used is Karen Dillards.

That being said, I wouldn't focus on National Merit as an end goal- and this is coming from a merit finalist. It's great, but nothing extraordinary.

Plano West AP, from personal experience, is a very, very strong program (but very competitive). If you're not sending the kid to Cistercian/St. Marks/Hockaday or a comparable school, Plano West AP (or IB at Plano East) will give you a better education and be free to boot.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM

297 posts, read 512,536 times
Agree with the others. Don't put so much focus solely on your child getting NMF.
What age is this child? School program they are enrolled in? Grades?

Where do you plan for your child attend college?
If it is not a school that auto admits and hands out full ride scholarships for NMF, then don't bother with any of the
tutoring just to try to achieve NMF. It will not be a great ROI if your child does not get such nor intends to attend a school
that gives out those scholarships. The schools I know that still do as of this year are Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama. Mostly state schools and not your top tier private colleges and more state schools are dropping from doing such. You can spend thousands of dollars for Karen Dillard tutoring for the PSAT all to get a $2000 scholarship.

Instead concentrate on having a strong GPA, strong curriculum, strong ACT/SAT scores and a great overall balance of life. This is more likely to get great offers for college. If the kid happens to be a strong contender to achieve NMF then that is just a little icing on the whole package. Otherwise, as the Duke University admit advisor stated when asked by a member of a info session audience about NMF, "that is nice but we do not offer any scholarships for achieving that honor."

However, the child has to have the drive to want to succed and put in the work. IB is not easy, this coming from a parent of a high school senior that has taken the IB path.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Here are a list of schools offering IB:

TIBS - Texas IB Schools

Not sure why you would want a private IB over a public IB - the public IB may offer more courses as the few privates offering IB are rather small.

I believe you can do both AP and IB at some schools (although that may not get you an IB Diploma, worth 24 college credit hours). Garland awards a certificate for this (not sure of requirements).

My alma mater in the Lakewood area of Dallas, Woodrow Wilson High, is one of 22 schools in the nation which also offers IBCC (in addition to the Diploma Programme): IBCC Schools in North America where you do AP with two IB classes.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 04-03-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
Agree with the others. Don't put so much focus solely on your child getting NMF.
What age is this child? School program they are enrolled in? Grades?

Where do you plan for your child attend college?
If it is not a school that auto admits and hands out full ride scholarships for NMF, then don't bother with any of the
tutoring just to try to achieve NMF. It will not be a great ROI if your child does not get such nor intends to attend a school
that gives out those scholarships. The schools I know that still do as of this year are Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama. Mostly state schools and not your top tier private colleges and more state schools are dropping from doing such. You can spend thousands of dollars for Karen Dillard tutoring for the PSAT all to get a $2000 scholarship.

Instead concentrate on having a strong GPA, strong curriculum, strong ACT/SAT scores and a great overall balance of life. This is more likely to get great offers for college. If the kid happens to be a strong contender to achieve NMF then that is just a little icing on the whole package. Otherwise, as the Duke University admit advisor stated when asked by a member of a info session audience about NMF, "that is nice but we do not offer any scholarships for achieving that honor."

However, the child has to have the drive to want to succed and put in the work. IB is not easy, this coming from a parent of a high school senior that has taken the IB path.

Aside from the really odd National Merit fixation on this board - I've long wondered why the PSAT/NMSF metric is becoming less and less important to many universities. I got a great answer from a UT admissions type a few weeks ago. Over time they've noted higher numbers of "false positives" and "false negatives" related to PSAT scores over SAT scores. His logic was more or less this, the math portion of the PSAT is quite easy - in a relative sense - therefore it is too easy to prepare for. Secondly a number of kids don't take algebra of any kind until their jr. year therefore many tend to flop the math portion of the PSAT but do better on the real SAT after exposure to some algebra. UT believes the SAT yields significantly fewer false positive and false negative results.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM

350 posts, read 749,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Aside from the really odd National Merit fixation on this board - I've long wondered why the PSAT/NMSF metric is becoming less and less important to many universities. I got a great answer from a UT admissions type a few weeks ago. Over time they've noted higher numbers of "false positives" and "false negatives" related to PSAT scores over SAT scores. His logic was more or less this, the math portion of the PSAT is quite easy - in a relative sense - therefore it is too easy to prepare for. Secondly a number of kids don't take algebra of any kind until their jr. year therefore many tend to flop the math portion of the PSAT but do better on the real SAT after exposure to some algebra. UT believes the SAT yields significantly fewer false positive and false negative results.
I think I agree with this - just when I think about who did well on the PSAT versus the SAT out of people I know, the SAT seems to be a stronger indicator of intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas