U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 AM

11,040 posts, read 13,440,315 times

Advertisements

1. Does the DFW area every get truly green grass and trees, similar to Houston? Seems like it's largely a yellowish/brown area that is prairie-like, with not too many trees or lushness. Or at least that's what I see on Google Street View in 99% of areas.
  2. I noticed that Mexicans far outnumber other races in the city of Dallas, according to statistics. Is there a white area? A black area?
  3. How much truth is there to the assertion that DFW people are snooty, pretentious or whatever? Is Dallas as pretentious as NYC or Boston?
  4. According to the 2012 election results, it seems that the DFW area overall is conservative. Does it actually feel conservative?
  5. How much percent of the people living in the DFW area have a southern/Texan accent?
  6. Are there a lot of transplants from the northeastern U.S. compared to other cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, South FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM

988 posts, read 1,900,352 times
1.) DFW is very green in the spring and fall. Its just plain hot in the summer, so you get some yellowing. There are plenty of trees and shade in older areas, but I wouldn't compare it to the east coast or even east Texas. Houston is treeish in its northern half, but the southern half transitions to coastal plains. So it has many of the same problems.
2.) City proper, yes, but unless you're in particular areas, it feels like any other diverse city. If you're talking city proper, the "white" areas are generally north of I-30. The black areas are generally south of I-30 and the sliver of appartments that follow Greenville Ave and Audelia north of Northwest Highway. Hispanic majority areas are in SE Dallas, Parts of East Dallas and NW Dallas. But these are generalities. Most of these areas will have a decent mix of ethnicities and are often adjacent to areas that are entirely different.
3.) The snooty thing probably comes from Houstonites and more recently Austinites. Like any city there are snooty areas.
4.) Second ring Suburbs feel conservative. North Dallas feels conservative. The inner ring, and even the "white" areas of Dallas outside of Central Expressway and the North Tollway vicinity actually skew pretty liberal.
5.) Hard to tell. Texas accent is not the same as a southern accent. You rarely hear a southern accent here. Texan accent, I dunno. The northern suburbs and more well to do areas are pretty mixed with transplants and natives. You would tend to hear more accent in the "black" parts of town and the eastern side of the area. Maybe 35% of people here I would guess.
6.) Have no idea. We are equidistant to the West Coast and Midwest, so we get lots of transplants from those places as well as the east coast that those places you mention probably don't get.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM

1,282 posts, read 2,987,173 times
Satellite images are typical taken in the winter and yes, it is brown here then. Green in spring, and fall, and most of summer, though grass can turn brown/go dormant when it gets super hot, especially if we are on water restrictions too. Trees and other plants should stay green, if they are appropriate for the area.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,761,882 times
1. Green in April - June that's it. Sometimes its getting pretty brown already by late June
2. Dallas is a minority majority city. There is an enclave in Dallas that is actually its own city called Highland Park. Largely Anglo. The Southeast & southwest sectors of Dallas have a high African American population. But all of the city is quite diverse and Anglos are the minority
3. Humm...I have not experienced general pretentiousness that is greater than my own level. I have my moments, however.
4. It feels pretty conservative to me in the burbs all distances N<E<S<W. Not so much in the city
5. 16.9% have southern twangs
6. Lots of transplants from all over North America, Mexico, the Republic of California and including strong representation of Asian expats

Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,583,152 times
1. see post above
2. see post above
3. As a well traveled transplant, Dallas seems worse than NYC as there's greater economic diversity in NYC to balance it all out. Dallas differs from Boston in that Boston is generally viewed as pretentious due to the high level of education and cultural influences (though not ethnically diverse) so, in a way, their reputation is deserved. Dallas appears more pretentious in the contemporary Kardashian way; self important with a very myopic viewpoint.
Keep in mind that Dallas is still a very young city. It doesn't have the history nor the cultural influence that the NE has had to work things out.
4. Absolutely! When you move to Dallas, it feels like they hand you a church membership application along with your drivers license.
5. Not a lot. Dallas city has a lot of transplants so regional accents are not in the majority. If you travel out into the rural areas, it's more obvious.
6. The NE transplants seem to favor the eastern coast more so than DFW as far as I can tell. I met more transplants from NYC/Jersey when I was in Tampa. Personally, I feel Dallas being land locked is not as appealing to people coming from coastal areas. We seem to get more from OK, NV and CA.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,855,767 times
The closer-in areas tend to be greener, with a canopy of trees (however they are not as tall as you might find in other sections of the country) - you will probably be surprised how green it is, because most people tend to think it's not...

More conservative in suburban areas, the city has Democrats holding most elected positions. But there are a good number of conservatives and moderates in the city.

Some people are pretentious, but I find that most of them live in a direct line going north from downtown up through the exurbs. See Preston Road...a.k.a "The Golden Corridor".

White Rock Lake in East Dallas/Lakewood:

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

743 posts, read 1,066,713 times
re question 6: American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

they're from everywhere.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,370,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
  1. Does the DFW area every get truly green grass and trees, similar to Houston? Seems like it's largely a yellowish/brown area that is prairie-like, with not too many trees or lushness. Or at least that's what I see on Google Street View in 99% of areas.
  2. I noticed that Mexicans far outnumber other races in the city of Dallas, according to statistics. Is there a white area? A black area?
  3. How much truth is there to the assertion that DFW people are snooty, pretentious or whatever? Is Dallas as pretentious as NYC or Boston?
  4. According to the 2012 election results, it seems that the DFW area overall is conservative. Does it actually feel conservative?
  5. How much percent of the people living in the DFW area have a southern/Texan accent?
  6. Are there a lot of transplants from the northeastern U.S. compared to other cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando, South FL?
Sigh...I thought you were going to Houston?

1) DFW does not get as green as Houston because of climate. DFW is on the prarie and as a result has vegetation of a prarie. Who would have guessed? The exceptions are neighborhoods and parks where trees have been planted and manicured.
2) In the city of Dallas, yes, Mexicans outnumber everybody else. In the Metro area, Dallas (not counting the Fort Worth side since you dislike it so much) is 44% white, 30% Hispanic, 17% African American and 7% Asian. If you include all the DFW area its 49% white, 28% Hispanic, 14% Black, and 6% Asian. Its very diverse and not one thing. Whites in the city of Dallas stay north of Dallas between Marsh Lane and 75 as well as Lakewood and Lake Highlands.
3) It depends on the area. Uptown can definately be that way at times. There are neighborhoods that are nothing of the sort like Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, and Lakewood so you dont HAVE to live around that if you dont want. Its your choice.
4) It depends on the area. Every single city in the south except Austin follows the same model: liberal core and conservative suburbs. Conservative does not equal bigot or homophobe so keep that in mind. I have lots of gay friend who live in the burbs in Dallas and love it. Also not all suburbs are equally conservative. Some are more liberal/conservative than others. Being gay is not an issue here on the whole so get that out of your mind.
5) Why the hell do you even care? Does that make them somehow beneth you? 55% of the DFW was not born in the state of Texas and 18% of DFW is foreign born. Southern/Texan accents are not the norm but not uncommon either.
6) Compared to the cities you listed, we do not get as many from the Northeast. We get a LOT more migrants from California and the West than the cities you listed. Im one, I moved from Los Angeles.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,440,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Sigh...I thought you were going to Houston?

1) DFW does not get as green as Houston because of climate. DFW is on the prarie and as a result has vegetation of a prarie. Who would have guessed? The exceptions are neighborhoods and parks where trees have been planted and manicured.
2) In the city of Dallas, yes, Mexicans outnumber everybody else. In the Metro area, Dallas (not counting the Fort Worth side since you dislike it so much) is 44% white, 30% Hispanic, 17% African American and 7% Asian. If you include all the DFW area its 49% white, 28% Hispanic, 14% Black, and 6% Asian. Its very diverse and not one thing. Whites in the city of Dallas stay north of Dallas between Marsh Lane and 75 as well as Lakewood and Lake Highlands.
3) It depends on the area. Uptown can definately be that way at times. There are neighborhoods that are nothing of the sort like Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, and Lakewood so you dont HAVE to live around that if you dont want. Its your choice.
4) It depends on the area. Every single city in the south except Austin follows the same model: liberal core and conservative suburbs. Conservative does not equal bigot or homophobe so keep that in mind. I have lots of gay friend who live in the burbs in Dallas and love it. Also not all suburbs are equally conservative. Some are more liberal/conservative than others. Being gay is not an issue here on the whole so get that out of your mind.
5) Why the hell do you even care? Does that make them somehow beneth you? 55% of the DFW was not born in the state of Texas and 18% of DFW is foreign born. Southern/Texan accents are not the norm but not uncommon either.
6) Compared to the cities you listed, we do not get as many from the Northeast. We get a LOT more migrants from California and the West than the cities you listed. Im one, I moved from Los Angeles.
Oh wow...very helpful! Sounds rather favorable to me. Look, I really like and appreciate diversity, but I just don't want the feeling of being a racial minority wherever I live. Cool, thanks.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM

8,567 posts, read 9,363,021 times
Per the Terms of Service

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website.

- - - - -

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or