U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM

67 posts, read 87,684 times

Advertisements

One of my concerns with my current home (DC metro) is the extreme overcrowding. How does Dallas compare with it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM

5,953 posts, read 7,492,992 times
I'm familiar with NVA side of the DC metro. Dallas has less traffic and more major freeways than in NVA. I live in W. Plano with good access to DT Dallas and DFW airport roughly 20 miles from my home... yet there is open land with long horn cattle and pretty rolling ranch land nearby too. Some of this is driven by Ag exemptions on land that is grazed by cattle to get a property tax benefit. Less crowded in terms of traffic but do not assume we dont have a heavy rush hour because we do... just not as congested as where you live now. Homes here have less land over all than homes in NVA so it is not less congested in those terms. However, more high density development is what I experienced in Fairfax than I see around Plano.... more like uptown area of Dallas.

Less crowded and friendlier people help make it pleasant

Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,600,115 times
It's not. Besides Uptown, nothing in Dallas has anywhere near the per block population density of D.C. proper (talking Adams-Morgan, Dupont, Cleveland Circle, Kalorama Triangle).

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM

67 posts, read 87,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Homes here have less land over all than homes in NVA so it is not less congested in those terms.
That is pretty surprising given the wide open spaces. Any specific reason why?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 AM

5,953 posts, read 7,492,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous81 View Post
That is pretty surprising given the wide open spaces. Any specific reason why?
Zoning and market conditions. Larger lots drive home costs up. Some developers put in larger lots with higher prices. Market demand for their product did not justify more developers doing the same thing.

I am not a big fan of zoning as some areas back east use it to maintain the status quo in order to keep prices up which limits lower income buyers.

It looks nice to some but has consequences.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM

229 posts, read 246,418 times
The Metroplex is very underpopulated. There are some areas of fairly high density, but there are so many areas of wide open land, huge vacant lots, and lack of continuity between most of the cities in the metro area, that you can probably fit millions more within our current boundaries and it would still be considered to be a low density region.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM

509 posts, read 1,051,012 times
We've considered moving to NOVA and have been there 2 summers now. I do feel that the NOVA area is a lot more congested/populated. For example, there were several times when I went to Target in Reston and it was as if Black Friday had just happened. Some of the shelves were quite empty. And I wasn't even shopping on a weekend. Whereas here, in the Northern part of Dallas county where I live, empty shelves would only happen, maybe, on Black Friday. The houses in NOVA have A LOT more land/yard than the ones here. So although Texas maybe a huge state and you'd think that houses would have huge lots, the opposite is true. The lots here are quite small compared to NOVA and if you do want a NOVA-sized yard you either gotta have lots and lots of money or live about 1+hour away from downtown dallas.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,124 times
My first impression with Dallas was the degree ti which housing cost less than DC area. DC area, according to Federal Highway as worst peak period congestion in USA. I was raised in North Jersey opposite NYC (Hoboken) North VA has become like a modern version of North Jersey. Despite its affleunce it is an abomination. I truly feel sorry, their wealth notwithstanding, for anyone who has to live in Northern Virginia. It is a sea of dense suburban housing with islands of offices and malls. When I was a child my folks took me to DC...we stayed in No//////va which at that time had quaint villages or towns like Leesburg, Manassas, etc. Now the small towns are unrecognizable. It is like LA except when the sprawl occured they wiped out some great little historic communities like Falls Church, etc. I live in DC suburban Maryland now which is bad but not quite the disaster than NoVA has become.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM

171 posts, read 307,414 times
Briabuelo - I just moved from NOVA to Dallas. I can give you a great comparison! First, the people down here are so different, they are friendly, happy and wonderful to interact with.

As far as homes/congestion - the houses in Dallas proper are on VERY small lots if we are comparing to the DC metro - Leesburg, Sterling, Ashburn, Loudoun County in general. I moved to Leesburg in 1994 and now it is, as you said, unrecognizable. If you were looking for something like that, with decent home lots, I would send you south to Waxahachie or Red Oak. Red Oak has some neighborhoods with 3/4 acre lots with fantastic prices... 135-160k. Waxahachie and Red Oak are about 20-30 miles south of Dallas and are a bit mores rural and spaced out than west or north. Waxahachie has a cute little historic town square with shops like Leesburg. Shops and lawyers, across the street from the courthouse!

We just bought a house in Lancaster. The houses have bigger lots and are priced lower than in Dallas. The town had been a little depressed but over the last year and what is coming is a lot of growth. My home is a post war ranch in a decent established and quiet neighborhood for 72k. I have .25 acre, fenced yard, 2 car garage and carport. Great prices on housing.

The freeways here (called highways on the east coast) are MASSIVE. MUCH better traffic and road planning here for sure! Now, they do have a ton of traffic, but no worse than the beltway for sure.

Good luck on your move, it was the best decision I ever made.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 AM

743 posts, read 1,062,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
the houses in Dallas proper are on VERY small lots if we are comparing to the DC metro - Leesburg, Sterling, Ashburn, Loudoun County in general.
This is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or