U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM

4,061 posts, read 5,197,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Wow this is a pretty ambitious plan!!!!!If they only built a 3rd of this it would have a dramatic impact on this area. I like the curvy office building and the huge park...oh and the monorail lift...thats different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM

89 posts, read 112,054 times
Nice!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,453,468 times
Default Dallas Midtown aerial map

Latest News:
Give us three minutes, and we’ll give you this video said to sneak peek the future of Dallas Midtown’s 430 acres | City Hall Blog

The plan looks ambitious, but Beck ventures must be pretty confident because they're trying to connect it to DART and the future Cotton Belt Line. This could be Dallas's largest TOD. Hopefully, the Cotton Belt Line private developers can use this project to entice politicians to award them the federal funds they are seeking.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 PM

297 posts, read 407,722 times
Guess not many on here remember Prestonwood Mall either. I could easliy see this becoming reality. Prestonwood Mall was still somewhat thriving when it was shuttered, torn down and now a whole new development.

The area where Valley View Mall is located is HEAVY traffic 7 days a week. A good development at that location could thrive! This one looks very promising. It is adding a good bit of green space, YEA! As right now and forever it has been solid black top.
I grew up going to Valley View. Saw it go from just the Sears and Sanger-Harris to the full mall. Then later worked at the bank there on the corner.

I am all for this and think they will do just fine. At least I hope they do!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 AM

121 posts, read 288,839 times
I never understood why they needed 2 malls right next door to each other in Galleria and Valley View.

Last time I went to Valley View, which was about 3 years ago, it was a dump and a ghost town in there.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM

23,624 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pama View Post
Awesome! DFW has a bright future ahead and this is another step in right direction. I hope funding comes through.
Those of us who have spent most or all of our lives here have seen these pie in the sky plans come and go. Could this become a reality? Yes. Will it? Less likely. There are a lot of issues to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post
I never understood why they needed 2 malls right next door to each other in Galleria and Valley View.

Last time I went to Valley View, which was about 3 years ago, it was a dump and a ghost town in there.
VV opened 5 years before Galleria did. For many years, we had 3 malls within spitting distance of each other (VV, Galleria, Prestonwood) and they all did reasonably well. VV didn't really start to slide until the mid 1990s. It thrived in the 1980s and even into the early 1990s. Ditto Prestonwood. It also doesn't help that the enclosed shopping mall surrounded by acres of concrete is losing its appeal with modern shoppers just like some other B&M shopping experiences. The old mall trend of the 70s and 80s has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM

3,081 posts, read 6,611,052 times
So when does demolition begin?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM

664 posts, read 1,410,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider View Post

For some reason, there were a lot twin malls in the DFW area where one was a more upper class mall and one was a more middle class mall. Off the top of my head, you had Galleria/VV, Six Flags/Forum 303, Town East/Big Town, and North Hills/North East. There are probably some that I'm missing. A lot of siblings died eventually but it took a long time for it to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
... For many years, we had 3 malls within spitting distance of each other (VV, Galleria, Prestonwood) and they all did reasonably well. ...
Was Prestonwood the mall with the water slide in it?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM

23,624 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post

Was Prestonwood the mall with the water slide in it?
No, it had an ice rink. I think you might be thinking of North Town Mall which was on Forest near Webb Chapel.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,453,468 times
Default Dallas Midtown renderings from Dallas Architectural firm OMNIPLAN

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas