U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 PM

21 posts, read 106,223 times

Advertisements

i was in ur same boat.. moved from milwaukee to dallas 2 yrs ago and in IT field.. i saw the apartments in plano but they were so pricey (1300 - 2000 range).. i found a good 3bed 2 bath house for rent for 1400 and took it.. you won't go wrong with plano, frisco or allen but make sure you are close to a highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 AM

29 posts, read 35,497 times
Thanks mspkash1,
How about Richardson? We have been really finding some reasonably priced apartments there.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Just don't rush into putting down roots too quickly... Most of the extended-stay places are really more like a small apartment. And since you will be moving over the summer, schools won't be an issue until August. Another thought is for you to come down in advance, find a job, and then go back and get the family.

I honestly cannot emphasize enough how huge the DFW area is, and how lengthy some of our commutes can be. There are IT jobs all over the metroplex, and there are good places to live all over, too.
Thanks,
I have been looking more and more at leaving and getting there first and then having the family come on down. Right now I am hoping that my research is right and that Richardson is a good place to settle. Just having an extremely hard time finding the best area.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,407,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemarshall View Post
Thanks,
I have been looking more and more at leaving and getting there first and then having the family come on down. Right now I am hoping that my research is right and that Richardson is a good place to settle. Just having an extremely hard time finding the best area.

There is no one "best area". I read a white paper once of a study conducted by MIT students in architecture that supported evidence that people in general love where they live and will go to great lengths to prove their decisions about their selected communities were the BEST. I am reminded of that often when I read input from regular contributors to this forum. We have advocates for Richardson, Plano, Hp/UP, Lakewood, Prosper and Grapevine that are so ridiculously zealous in their alliance to specific communities. I have lived in the DFW area since 1978 and have lived east, west, north & south. All pretty much the best decisions for what was going on at that point on my life. Stay portable until you know where the jobs you get are. I actually think renting in the Lewisville area makes alot of sense but the extended stay idea is great, too.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

23,976 posts, read 32,714,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There is no one "best area". I read a white paper once of a study conducted by MIT students in architecture that supported evidence that people in general love where they live and will go to great lengths to prove their decisions about their selected communities were the BEST. I am reminded of that often when I read input from regular contributors to this forum. We have advocates for Richardson, Plano, Hp/UP, Lakewood, Prosper and Grapevine that are so ridiculously zealous in their alliance to specific communities. I have lived in the DFW area since 1978 and have lived east, west, north & south. All pretty much the best decisions for what was going on at that point on my life. Stay portable until you know where the jobs you get are. I actually think renting in the Lewisville area makes alot of sense but the extended stay idea is great, too.
I live in Richardson but am not 'ridiculously zealous' about it. I don't recommend it to everyone.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM

9,810 posts, read 20,450,332 times
And I'm also not "ridiculously zealous" about Grapevine. I only recommend it when it makes sense.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 PM

Hello all....wanted to reply to you and thank you for your help. We have successfully moved to Dallas and we have found a great home within our budget in the southern portion of Dallas (on the border of Lancaster and DeSoto). We are looking to purchase a home in June 2014 in the Red Oak or Cedar Hill area. Look for new posts to come regarding tips for realtor suggestions (inboxed of course). I look forward to chiming in on questions people that might be in looking to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or