Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

Stay in an extended-stay hotel while you look for a job, or find an apartment complex that does month-to-month leases. Don't make any permanent decisions on where to live until you find a job, or you could end up making a lengthy commute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemarshall View Post
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately we will be moving in July and using savings until we actually apply and get permanent positions in the city. I have tried working with various recruiters and even companies, however it is just too hard to interview from another city. Realistically I think actually being in the state/city will go a long way in terms of the employment search. I have had many interviews.....I am super qualified (over 7 years IT experience with a masters degree in IT) however when it comes to the decision of an applicant in state versus me who is out of state.....many organizations go with in state candidates. This is understandable so I figure.....lets go and take on the challenge.
I'm in the same boat here. I am applying as an out of state applicant and have had 2 chances to interview for positions in Plano but the interview dates that were proposed to me were no good. I asked for an alternative date but haven't heard anything back yet. If I don't find work before July, I will wait it out another year, save more money and make my move there next summer, job in hand or no job in hand and take up the challenge...
good luck to you and your family!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM

29 posts, read 44,402 times
Thanks Chad....I think that physically being in the city for me and my wife will make ALL the difference. I am pretty open to any position that in line with my skill set and I am trying to get in the Dallas area....so we are thinking Richardson - Plano area might be good. We also have 3 children that will be in school so we are also looking for excellent schools and obviously a safe neighborhood. I hope you find something as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks Christine....I never thought of that option. I guess my only hang up would be the fact that with 3 children they hotel option might not work. I am open to an apartment option but we prefer a home especially based on the price of some of the nicer apartment complexes. That is the struggle we face....and the job situation is not really a big issue because I really think once I am there I will find more flexibility with employers. I had an interview with ATT and the Federal Reserve Bank however because of the location..... candidates that were centrally located were chosen. I figure since we are moving there anyway....once we are there, the job will come

Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Just don't rush into putting down roots too quickly... Most of the extended-stay places are really more like a small apartment. And since you will be moving over the summer, schools won't be an issue until August. Another thought is for you to come down in advance, find a job, and then go back and get the family.

I honestly cannot emphasize enough how huge the DFW area is, and how lengthy some of our commutes can be. There are IT jobs all over the metroplex, and there are good places to live all over, too.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeemarshall View Post
Thanks Chad....I think that physically being in the city for me and my wife will make ALL the difference. I am pretty open to any position that in line with my skill set and I am trying to get in the Dallas area....so we are thinking Richardson - Plano area might be good. We also have 3 children that will be in school so we are also looking for excellent schools and obviously a safe neighborhood. I hope you find something as well.
Thank you sir! Being that you have 3 school age children to me looks extra challenging as well. My wife and I don't have children yet (and we are holding off until we are ready) so that's one less big thing to worry about.

I agree with you for physically being in the DFW area with an actual DFW address will make all the difference in the world. My younger brother has applied for positions in the DFW area also and has not gotten any calls...

I think you and your wife will land jobs right away once you arrive!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times
Default Just a thought

You said you had family in Lewisville-would they put you up for a couple of weeks so you could do some interviewing? If your wife is already working in MI she could be there working and taking care of the kids with at least one person still earning an income. Hire a car if you need to and get a feel for the lay of the land and could at least see what commuting would be like from your chosen places-you could also check out any available apartment complexes you have shortlisted and visit the school area you will be sending your kids. It's hard enough to relocate but doing it when neither of you has a job will be very stressful-if you are going to rent they are going to need to see that you are gainfully employed so an extended stay place may be your only option in the beginning. Even with your resume it may still take you a while to land a job-still alot of people looking for work even in the IT field...and then once you've got the job then move your family and belongings down here. Another thought is pick up a cheap throw away phone with a Dallas area code and use that on your resume might help you with call backs and maybe use your relatives Lewisville address....

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Stay in an extended-stay hotel while you look for a job, or find an apartment complex that does month-to-month leases. Don't make any permanent decisions on where to live until you find a job, or you could end up making a lengthy commute!
This is good advice.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 AM

Default Any Advice on Best Extended stay hotels

Quote:
Get a job before deciding where to live. Seriously. DFW is known for having a lot of traffic, and the area is geographically huge. You need to know where you will be driving to for work before you decide where to live.
Quote:

I really like this advice ChristieP and we are going in this direction. Do you have any advice for some good extended stay hotels in the Dallas area. Looking for one with full kitchen and nice area for safety.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Extended Stay Hotels
InTown Suites - Extended Stay Living & Short-Term Housing
Welcome to Budget Suites - Come Live A While
Candlewood Suites | Book Extended Stay Hotel Accommodations

Here are several of the big extended stay chain hotels. Honestly, pick the one you think will be closest to where you want to live and work. The only ones I can honestly say to stay away from are the ones at I35E and Mockingbird in Dallas. Those are not in a good area. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: