U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM

29 posts, read 33,931 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I are moving to the Dallas area around July 2013. I am moving from Milwaukee, WI and have been trying to get assistance with tips for the move. We are looking to move either to Richardson, Plano, or even Carrollton. Since I have a family with 2 small children and 1 pre-teen, I am looking for a safe community that will provide easy access to the downtown Dallas area.

I am in the IT field and Milwaukee's market is just not allowing for the opportunities that I am looking for. My wife is a Physician's Assistant and we will be applying for various jobs once we are there. It is very hard to interview remotely and travel for potential positions. The move is definitely happening so we need some help in how to navigate and what to look for.

Our main trouble is determining if we should rent an apartment or rent a home. We have done so much research and just are hitting wall after wall in terms of the best area with the best resources for us. We have transportation and are not concerned with diversity issues in any neighborhood. We are looking to rent for 1 year and then purchase a home in the city. With small children we would love to find a nice home for rent with a yard however we just need some assistance in terms of the best option for us.

I have family that lives in Lewisville and they tell us not to stay in Dallas but rather in a suburb of Dallas because of the neighborhoods and crime.

Can anyone provide some assistance in terms of these suburbs and the renting options as well as any other tips that you can provide.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM

5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Budget? For rental and buying down the road is helpful. Assuming it fits your budget, I recommend you focus on Plano, either West or East both have great schools. The commute to downtown isnt too bad but Richardson would be a shorter commute. East Plano or Richardson have mass transit options to DT that might be attractive to you. Welcome to Dallas

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,707,626 times
The city of Dallas for the most part doesn't have horrible crime. There are dangerous neighborhoods of course, most of them south of downtown, but don't discount the entire city of Dallas in your home search.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
I recommend Richardson; it's safe, the schools are excellent, and it's a very easy drive to many major employment centers in the area. Plano is also good. I would take Carrollton off the list if I were you. It's the least....salubrious of the three options you listed.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,695,185 times
If it were me I would rent an apartment in a family friendly complex and take a 6 month lease if you can; a house is just so much more complicated and who wants to be burdened with yardwork when there's a whole new area to explore with your family. In an apartment you can make this more of a vacation-type adventure. There are many apartment communities. The two concentration employment areas are Irving and Plano for IT-jobs and of course there are medical offices everywhere. There are some nice apartment communities in the Lewisville school district which would put you between Irving and Plano and near your family. Your new job most likely will be in Plano or Irving, so for now you might think about living somewhere between the two.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
If it were me I would rent an apartment in a family friendly complex and take a 6 month lease if you can; a house is just so much more complicated and who wants to be burdened with yardwork when there's a whole new area to explore with your family. In an apartment you can make this more of a vacation-type adventure. There are many apartment communities. The two concentration employment areas are Irving and Plano for IT-jobs and of course there are medical offices everywhere. There are some nice apartment communities in the Lewisville school district which would put you between Irving and Plano and near your family. Your new job most likely will be in Plano or Irving, so for now you might think about living somewhere between the two.
Not necessarily. I've worked in IT for 15 years and have never had a job in Plano, and my last job in Irving was in the late 1990s. I am never called by recruiters about jobs located in Irving; they are all located in Dallas, Richardson, Plano, or Addison.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Budget? For rental and buying down the road is helpful. Assuming it fits your budget, I recommend you focus on Plano, either West or East both have great schools. The commute to downtown isnt too bad but Richardson would be a shorter commute. East Plano or Richardson have mass transit options to DT that might be attractive to you. Welcome to Dallas
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. My monthly rent budget is set to a maximum of 1300 however we are willing to go over if needed and if within the right neighborhood. I guess the amount I have been seeing for home rentals versus apartment rentals seem to be similar. With the family and moving to a new location, I would like to have a yard for the children but I see many apartment complexes have nice recreational areas. Any tips for apartment communities or specific housing facilities?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM

I appreciate the input. I did see some nice looking complexes.....however looks can be deceiving to an outsider. Any tips for Dallas areas? I did research and hear to stay away from areas south of I30 like Oak Cliff. How about North Dallas and Lake Highlands?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Much appreciated for the tip. What is the issue with Carrollton?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The city of Dallas for the most part doesn't have horrible crime. There are dangerous neighborhoods of course, most of them south of downtown, but don't discount the entire city of Dallas in your home search.
This. Depending on your budget and where your jobs are, there are many great neighborhoods in Dallas (mostly in East / Northeast/ North Dallas areas) worth taking a look at! Very safe neifhborboods with good schools.

You'll find many suburbanites are ignorant about "the big bad city" and spread a lot of incorrect information. Their loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or