U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

511 posts, read 650,743 times

Advertisements

Big G thank you!! I think I could deal with Plano. Who knows - maybe by the time my kids are in school I will be one of the "haves" - just have to direct my career path a bit better and stop being content to stay in operations (never mind that I really enjoy the customer focus). I am actually above the median income for Plano but my life choices have been such that I am now scrambling to plan for retirement at the same time that I need to save for college for my kids (though they had better just get scholarships or even better end up at TAMS, or both). So I prefer to keep my budget pretty modest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 04:23 PM

30,039 posts, read 34,749,700 times
Northern Flower Mound that feeds FM Marcus High School.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Thank you Rakin - that does have the appeal for sure of being a shorter drive for my family to come visit. And I love how safe it is. And it is close to one of my company's data centers. Am just afraid again of being in a lower economic stratum. For me, it does not matter but I don't want my kids' friends snickering "Your mom drives a KIA?!!" etc.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:38 PM

lol I know I am acting like I expect if I keep posting someone will finally come up with THE perfect answer but these responses have helped me broaden my scope a bit and I appreciate that. I accept that there is no perfect answer.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM

6,947 posts, read 18,776,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Thank you Rakin - that does have the appeal for sure of being a shorter drive for my family to come visit. And I love how safe it is. And it is close to one of my company's data centers. Am just afraid again of being in a lower economic stratum. For me, it does not matter but I don't want my kids' friends snickering "Your mom drives a KIA?!!" etc.
tons of Kia's and Chevy Cavilers in FM. It is very down to earth. Nothing wrong with Richardson either but believe me there is some dang expensive real estate in Richardson in addition to the older areas. Most of the metro burbs have large expensive homes if the schools are decent so if you are aiming at highly rated schools you won't find lowish modest incomes and lower priced houses. You are going to have to accept that. If you believe you have to be living in town well known for top schools, the trade off is that same area will attract families with bigger budgets than you have.

*Other ideas: *
*Hurst and Bedford. Good schools but not the top, top, and a stable middle income area of neat homes. Euless is mostly in the HEB school district with a small portion that sits in the Grapevine ISD. Euless is a bit more expensive than H&B.

*Some exemplary schools in southwest Arlington -- the school district (exception of zips 75016, 75017 if feeding into Martin HS) is not highly rated but the schools that serve homes on the west side of Cooper Street and feed into Martin high school are great and highly rated.

*You might find some pockets like that in Mesquite, Cedar Hill or Carrollton, too. Average school districts with little gems of schools stuck among them.

*Midlothian has some cute areas fitting your need and has good schools. Problem is that Midlothian is still suffering from bad press about the poor air quality...tho they claim the problems are fixed but the bad rep is keeping their housing prices pretty low. It is near some great shopping and the area is growing.

Last edited by Squirl; 04-05-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM

172 posts, read 289,825 times
If FM suits you than go for it. Why let fair of shallow snobs stop you? FM homes start from $115,000 and there are plenty of homes under 300,000.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM

350 posts, read 621,080 times
Plano is actually getting a farmers market - it will be opening at the end of this month (I think it will be somewhere by Parker and 75). I would imagine you would be able to get the milk from one of the vender there. but you can't know for sure until it opens.

Besides the bigness, the city seems to have almost everything you want. Trader Joes and Whole Foods are at Park and Preston, so you'll have that nearby. Central Market is great, and we have one at Bush and Coit, but it tends to be expensive...not as many deals as at Trader Joes.

Of course you could live in Richardson and still be near this stuff...something to consider.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM

1,282 posts, read 2,988,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post

Raw milk can be found at Lucky Layla Farms in east Plano.
Yes, this.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Pama, FM is on my list but there are so many "almost" choices that I am still weighing. Plano is sounding better, admittedly. I should have mentioned too I would like some wide open spaces not too far away - I am in suburbia now but with cows grazing at times literally a one minute walk from my door and a creek at the end of the cul de sac.

Air quality is big to me - since they were micropreemies and had asthma diagnoses (I think we are about to kiss the dx goodbye!) I have to consider it (why such high lead levels all around here? Feh.)

I am happy to see Plano is getting a Farmer's Market! It may in the end be hard to beat with a Farmer's Market, raw milk (am flirting with going Weston A Price), Trader Joe's AND Whole Foods. And good schools and older homes. It seems a bit big but at least it's a good bit smaller than Fort Worth with some technical opportunities should the it hit the fan with my current job and India.

I am guessing btw that Rice Middle School feeds West Plano? I read some impressive stuff about it.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,405,254 times
There are also quite a few IT firms in the Plano and Richardson area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas