U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM

23,603 posts, read 31,161,722 times

Advertisements

Nobody will look twice at a mixed race couple in Richardson; I see them every week at the grocery store. There's housing for almost every budget here, crime is low, schools are excellent, city management is better than Dallas, and it's close to everything.

Something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM

172 posts, read 288,903 times
For a couple commuting to Richardson, both Richardson and Rowlette even may be Rockwall can work. You can get a lake property like one in the link.

realtor.com

Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM

162 posts, read 241,343 times
East Plano near Bob Woodruff Park is affordable, nice and diverse.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM

50 posts, read 35,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever put a price range?

Op, what's wrong with Richardson itself?
Thanks for all the input folks.

Sorry Stan... I guess that is important. Lol

We would be looking for single family homes (2000 sq ft minimum) for no more than $215K I would say.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Richardson, I just figured that it would be more expensive being closer to the Telecom Corridor.

Last edited by hansolo72; 04-06-2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
East Plano near Bob Woodruff Park is affordable, nice and diverse.
Good suggestion!

Op, find somewhere you enjoy being.

No one here cares about mixed race, etc.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good suggestion!

Op, find somewhere you enjoy being.

No one here cares about mixed race, etc.
Plano seems to be a popular spot and it sounds like we can't go wrong in Richardson or most of the surrounding areas as well.

Glad to hear that mixed race couples are not uncommon.

It's not that me or or my wife are concerned about how we are perceived by being together, but more that I want her to feel like she is not the only person of African American decent within a 20 mile radius. Lol

When we moved here to my home state of Colorado (specifically the northern Denver area) I honestly did not give racial diversity a second thought. After all, I felt comfortable and fit right in .

The greater Denver area is very segregated imo (by choice). The northern suburbs are almost 100% white / latino and the central Denver area is more diverse with it being roughly 60% white, 25% latino and 15% black and other. The southern suburbs are like the northern suburbs but sliiiiightly more diverse (maybe 2% black).

Anyway, it sounds like the entire area (and surrounding towns) we are discussing in the thread are wholly more diverse than where we are now. So, here endeth the focus on racial diversity.

Last edited by hansolo72; 04-06-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 PM

89 posts, read 111,852 times
I love being friends with people of all colors, width, height, race, ethnicity, IQ, social class, nationality etc. However, it is equally important to have some people around who look like me, talk like me, eat same things, can get my jokes, share same backgrounds and things like that. I see this tendency as a healthy thing not a racist disability. To connect with others we don't need to disconnect with our own, defeats the purpose of diversity.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice&Curry View Post
I love being friends with people of all colors, width, height, race, ethnicity, IQ, social class, nationality etc. However, it is equally important to have some people around who look like me, talk like me, eat same things, can get my jokes, share same backgrounds and things like that.
That is well put R&C

Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM

297 posts, read 407,015 times
OP, you nor your wife will feel "out of place" at all. Most people don't even notice couples that are different races or even same sex couples. It is more prominent than most people realize in this area. Even in the middle and high schools the kids are open to "dating" kids of a different background. My oldest D has a set of twins and their older brother at her school, all white. Oldest brother dates a girl that is Hispanic, girl twin seems to gravitate to the boys that are Asian and the boy twin has been "linked" with girls that have been AA, white and asian. Nobody thinks about that stuff any more. I would not worry about it at all.

Of course, she may be thinking, "OH MY GOSH! Those people are staring at me" and think it is due to her race when it could be as simple as them admiring her shoes or such. Also, people around here do make eye contact when out and about. All she needs to do is simply smile back and she most likely will start getting tons of smiles and hellos back from complete strangers. Just because she may think someone is looking at her or in her direction it may not be what she could preceive it as being. I'd just walk out the door every time I left with my head up and a great big smile across my face and meet every person with a sweet "Hello". Which I'm sure she will have no problem doing, isn't that how she met you

As for location, if the job is in the Richardson Telecom area. Stick to anything along 190, aka George Bush Turnpike. That will take you from Plano near the Dallas North Tollway all the way to I-30 on the Rowlett/Garland border. Richardson is a great area as would be the Firewheel area of Garland as they share a boundry with great parks and walking/biking trails close by. Homes in your price range as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
Nobody thinks about that stuff any more. I would not worry about it at all.

Of course, she may be thinking, "OH MY GOSH! Those people are staring at me" and think it is due to her race when it could be as simple as them admiring her shoes or such. Also, people around here do make eye contact when out and about. All she needs to do is simply smile back and she most likely will start getting tons of smiles and hellos back from complete strangers. Just because she may think someone is looking at her or in her direction it may not be what she could preceive it as being. I'd just walk out the door every time I left with my head up and a great big smile across my face and meet every person with a sweet "Hello". Which I'm sure she will have no problem doing, isn't that how she met you
I apologize if the perception of this thread might have become that we are insecure about our interracial relationship and need to be somewhere that "feels" excepting of it or that my wife perceives things a certain way (which she does not btw).

I guess I brought up race only because my wife would like to live in an area where there a more black folks around than where we currently are (which is almost none...Lol) that she can relate to. Take that as you want. I can understand how she feels though... as can Rice and Curry who posted earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or