Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,655 times

Advertisements

I am a 30yr old male from Germany (Frankfurt am Main).
I visited Austin and Dallas in 2012 and I liked it in both cities.

I have lived so far in many countries in Europe and Asia.
I like moving to a new country every 3 years.
I thought about moving to San Francisco, CA next, but it is too expensive there.

So I am thinking now about moving to Dallas or Austin soon.
I am interested to hear from those who have lived in Dallas and Austin before and work in IT.
I work in the software/IT sector and I plan to launch my own company when I move.

Info about myself:
Citizenship: German
Education: Masters
Work Experience: 5yrs
Religion: Casual christian. Like going to church every now and then
Hobbies: outdoor, bars, restaurants, live music, dancing, gyms, weekend trips
Food: I like Mexican food

Which city would you recommend and why?
Has any one here moved from Germany to Austin or Dallas to start a company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM

785 posts, read 951,150 times
Austin for tech.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,051,873 times
I say DFW (Richardson / Plano area)... at least for Telcomm related IT.

Been paying attention to IT in both Austin and DFW as we intend to move there within the next couple years.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM

390 posts, read 713,290 times
They would both be great locations for you. Austin would likely be more fun, but it's a smaller city. If you don't need to travel much, Austin would work. If you travel a lot, you'll be making lots of connections in Dallas or Houston.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
Austin may be more fun if you live in the central city, are into outdoors activities, and especially if you're in your 20s. But if you're in your 30s and living in north Austin or Round Rock, and your bike spends more time as a clothes rack than in a bike rack, then your life probably isn't going that much different from living in Plano or Richardson.

To the OP, what was it you liked about Austin? What was it you liked about Dallas? How did their personalities as cities strike you? That might help others guide to which city might be best for you. Austin is certainly better known as a tech capital but there are quite a few tech employers in the DFW area too.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 PM

67 posts, read 171,466 times
Austin has hideous real estate prices compared to Dallas, about 50% more. And they have bad traffic, even in the center of town. I didn't experience that when in Dallas. Austin is very outdoorsy, but not as sophisticated as Dallas. If you want culture and variety, go for Dallas. If you want to be part of an "outdoorsy" city, go for Austin.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 PM

981 posts, read 895,376 times
definitely consider the travel factor. ive been in technology / enterprise software for about 20 years. just moved from dallas a few years ago. while i liked but didnt love dallas ( the weather and lack of trees was a bit of a challenge for me) i have to say it was the most convenient place if you fly for work a lot. direct flights to pretty much anywhere and no more than 4 hours to get to west or east coasts. microsoft has a large campus in las colinas wirh oracle, ibm and most of the big consulting shops there as well. and i cant imagine being in tech and not having to get on a plane fairly frequently.

austin has much more of a start up feel but i agree with a previous post on real estate cost. imho, dallas probably has the lowest real estate prices with the most job opportunities in the country and definitely has enough tech business to make it a good place for a startup. also while i dont know what type of tech business you want to start, if you are selling to big enterprises, the DFW area has them galore. pepsico etc all have their headquarters there. i think i read somewhere that DFW has more fortune 500 headquarters than any other place in the US. good luck!

Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,655 times
Thanks to you all for the informative responses.
I will be traveling sometimes, but only national flights within the US to West and East Coast.
for business and visiting friends/family.

I liked that Austin has a lively downtown, especially 6th St where people hang out on the streets at night.
Besides, am into live music Dallas does not have that.
But Austin seems to be pricier than Dallas as I understand you ;(

I plan to launch a software product for small and medium size enterprise. So blue chip companies are not my target customers.

I have now Dallas and Austin on my radar. Let's see where I land. I will be flying next year to TX and will stay 2-3 months in
Austin and Dallas to check out the 2 cities and the people more.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:02 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,159,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy10 View Post
I liked that Austin has a lively downtown, especially 6th St where people hang out on the streets at night.
Besides, am into live music Dallas does not have that.
Don't write off North Texas' music scene completely. While not as centralized as Austin, there are some interesting things happening between Dallas, Fort Worth, and Denton.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,704,038 times
Denton has the university which has a nationally known music program. Plenty of live music in Denton! Not all that far for an evening out.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas