U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,624 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm in the process of applying for teaching positions in multiple cities, and am considering Dallas as a possibility to relocate to. I was wondering if any of you could help me get a better picture of Dallas, so I'll start with a short personal profile and what I'm looking for in a city.

I'm a 22 year old male, fresh college graduate from Columbus, OH. I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people. A good nightlife is important to me, as is a politically aware and active community. I enjoy going to galleries, good beer (I'm addicted to finding microbrews and am a homebrewer myself), and a diversity in food options. I can't handle close-mindedness or racism, although I am perfectly fine with people who don't share my viewpoints, as long as they respect mine. I hate suburban sprawl scenery, and want to live in a city that is unique, growing, exciting, and fast paced.

Would I feel comfortable in Dallas?

Any help you could offer would be great!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 PM

9,507 posts, read 19,515,952 times
Are you aware of the situation with teachers and education funding in Texas? If not, you need to do some research. Putting it mildly, the job market for teachers stinks...

Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Are you aware of the situation with teachers and education funding in Texas? If not, you need to do some research. Putting it mildly, the job market for teachers stinks...
Yes I am aware, the organization that I will work for is a service organization, so job security is not a concerning factor for me for the next couple years at least. I'm also aware of the state of the schools. I am moreso trying to get a picture of how I would like Dallas in my down time.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM

162 posts, read 241,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMyers215 View Post
Hello all! I'm in the process of applying for teaching positions in multiple cities, and am considering Dallas as a possibility to relocate to. I was wondering if any of you could help me get a better picture of Dallas, so I'll start with a short personal profile and what I'm looking for in a city.

I'm a 22 year old male, fresh college graduate from Columbus, OH. I am very, very liberal politically and socially, and want to live in a city where I won't be judged and I can find like-minded people. A good nightlife is important to me, as is a politically aware and active community. I enjoy going to galleries, good beer (I'm addicted to finding microbrews and am a homebrewer myself), and a diversity in food options. I can't handle close-mindedness or racism, although I am perfectly fine with people who don't share my viewpoints, as long as they respect mine. I hate suburban sprawl scenery, and want to live in a city that is unique, growing, exciting, and fast paced.

Would I feel comfortable in Dallas?

Any help you could offer would be great!

Why would you want all of the above but move to Dallas. There are many cities which can be a good fit for you, Dallas may work but its an unlikely choice.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,794,377 times
The north Dallas suburbs are always looking for teachers due to the growth. TX is past its budget crunch, too. Unlike many other states.

There are a number of "new urbanism" areas in those suburbs and many die-hard walking city friends from Chicago and DC have been pleasantly surprised when I show them the area. So downtown is not your only option.

One example among many

The Shops at Legacy

TX is the new face of politics in the US. More libertarian and pragmatic than anything else. Very high racial diversity - 4th highest in the US. This leads to a high level of tolerance - especially in the northern suburbs.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Dallas - Dallas itself, not Shops @ Legacy development pp mentioned or other suburbs people want to push you towards- meets some of your criteria quite well. There has been a huge resurgence in "in town" living over the past 10-15 years. Huge swaths of neifhborboods close to downtown have been invested in with housing, entertainment, etc creating unique neighborhoods forming a circle around downtown itself - Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Deep Ellum & Expo Park, The Cedars, North Oak Cliff / Bishop Arts District, Design District, & Oak Lawn. There are plenty of city data threads you can search to read up on each. Sounds as though you may feel most "at home" in Deep Ellum / Expo Park, The Cedars, North Oak Cliff/ Bishop Arts. Uptown is the most populated but prob to "shiny" and conservative for you.

Dallas has a great art scene and tons of good food. We're far past the BBQ & streak stereotype. Many of the city's hottest restaurants are located in the Bishop Arts District and Henderson Ave corridor.

Dallas as a whole is conservative and it is still the Bible Belt. There are many, many other types of people here including the largest gay population behind NYC & SF, but conservative / Bible Belt is pretty rooted in the culture here....which is ironic since Obama has handily won Dallas County in the last 2 elections. There are liberals here but they are no where near as outspoken/ dominant/ mainstream as a SF/ Portland. We're probably closer to a Chicago-feeling culture, if that makes sense as a reference point? You'll find people who vote Dem, but it isn't like other cities where people talk politics & issues all the time. For this part of your criteria, I think you absolutely need to come visit and see what you think first-hand. For your more "fun" criteria, I think you'd definitely enjoy Dallas.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,292,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine0 View Post
Why would you want all of the above but move to Dallas. There are many cities which can be a good fit for you, Dallas may work but its an unlikely choice.
Why? Dallas (the city) is politically liberal and has an excellent variety of food options. The nightlife is pretty good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or