U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,741,845 times
Reputation: 7187

Advertisements

I have used materials from Floor & Decor on a number of occasions and love their selection. However many of their stone tiles are seconds and also my contractors can sometimes get me the same product 1st quality for the same or better price from their suppliers. So it's a good idea to price out what you want from floor & decor and only make your purchase after your floor contractor has been identified. Try and get someone to do the work who will pickup the product for you. Always buy about 20% more than you need and make sure the store will take back unused tiles. Keep a few for future repairs. If you allow your contractor to make the purchase thru his vendor, make sure they take returns. I do like F&D for their great return policy but always make sure you are aware of the return policy. One supplier said they only take full boxes, which was fine with me but when I brought back 6 boxes they said it was a special order and they would not do a return unless the item was something they always keep in stock.

I know you are thinking about laminate or wood flooring, but also check out the wood look floor ceramic/porcelain tiles. They are plank shaped and come in so many different colors and styles. Several of my friends have them and also many restaurants have them. They are gorgeous and so much more durable than wood or laminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Dallas
419 posts, read 502,075 times
Reputation: 250
More durable than laminate? I have a toddler so I'm looking at flooring that can take a BEATING! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I know you are thinking about laminate or wood flooring, but also check out the wood look floor ceramic/porcelain tiles. They are plank shaped and come in so many different colors and styles. Several of my friends have them and also many restaurants have them. They are gorgeous and so much more durable than wood or laminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Dallas
419 posts, read 502,075 times
Reputation: 250
I took a look at the wood tile pictures. I like the look, but I'd be concerned that it will be super cold in the winter. Also, since I have a small child, I'd prefer a material that has more "give" in case of falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,627 posts, read 31,255,367 times
Reputation: 26701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I took a look at the wood tile pictures. I like the look, but I'd be concerned that it will be super cold in the winter. Also, since I have a small child, I'd prefer a material that has more "give" in case of falls.
Well if that's true you want carpet.

Wood will knock teeth out just as well as tile will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
 
Location: garland
1,595 posts, read 1,579,558 times
Reputation: 1969
stick with carpet until the child is housetrained. Either that or make sure whatever flooring you go with can withstand a couple rounds of sanding and refinishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM
 
3,815 posts, read 3,725,320 times
Reputation: 4116
Quote:
More durable than laminate?
If you are ok with laminate then you should also check out a relatively new material called vinyl plank. Yeah, it's vinyl, but will take a beating with water, toddler, pet mess, and vacuuming not damaging it, and looks equally as good as laminate if not better (and doesn't have that laminate hollow sound when you walk on it).

You also put it together just like a tongue and groove floating wood/laminate floor. Not the glue down stuff.

It sounds cheesy but walk into any relatively newly constructed medical office or store and they have it on their floors - it's big in commercial & retail buildings right now - that's not real wood in the majority of cases. It's about the same price as laminate. It runs the gamut from cheesy shiny and fake looking to a pretty good copy of real wood that you wouldn't be able to tell without touching it.

I wouldn't consider it as a substitute for actual wood, but if you want a wood-look that can put up with everything life throws at it and can be installed everywhere like kitchens and bathrooms without any extra care, try the vinyl plank stuff.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 04-09-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Plano
179 posts, read 490,603 times
Reputation: 91
Carpet + potty training = lots of steam cleaning. We've decided to go with wood-look vinyl plank flooring in our new home because it is durable and will stand up to stains and wear. Plus the kids can roll around on ride-on toys and trikes easily on the vinyl flooring. We would prefer actual wood, but the cost isn't worth it at the price point of our home. FWIW I had hardwoods when both of my kids were toddlers and we loved it, although they did get scratched up quite a bit in our last house. Carpet is seriously not something I'd even consider with small kids - just get some cheap throw rugs that can get crap spilled on them. Good luck with your new house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Dallas
419 posts, read 502,075 times
Reputation: 250
Thank you for this suggestion. I did some research on the vinyl plank flooring and WOW! I'm amazed at how good it looks! I'll talk to hubby about it... although it'll probably take some convincing him because it's vinyl. Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
If you are ok with laminate then you should also check out a relatively new material called vinyl plank. Yeah, it's vinyl, but will take a beating with water, toddler, pet mess, and vacuuming not damaging it, and looks equally as good as laminate if not better (and doesn't have that laminate hollow sound when you walk on it).

You also put it together just like a tongue and groove floating wood/laminate floor. Not the glue down stuff.

It sounds cheesy but walk into any relatively newly constructed medical office or store and they have it on their floors - it's big in commercial & retail buildings right now - that's not real wood in the majority of cases. It's about the same price as laminate. It runs the gamut from cheesy shiny and fake looking to a pretty good copy of real wood that you wouldn't be able to tell without touching it.

I wouldn't consider it as a substitute for actual wood, but if you want a wood-look that can put up with everything life throws at it and can be installed everywhere like kitchens and bathrooms without any extra care, try the vinyl plank stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Simmering in DFW
6,947 posts, read 18,741,845 times
Reputation: 7187
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
Thank you for this suggestion. I did some research on the vinyl plank flooring and WOW! I'm amazed at how good it looks! I'll talk to hubby about it... although it'll probably take some convincing him because it's vinyl. Haha!
I have a rent house in Irving that has hard wood floors, and the family room and kitchen have laminate. Last Fall the tenant hooked up a new washing machine (old house w/washer connects in kitchen) and failed to properly tighten a hose which resulted in floor damage. The laminate buckled on several places. Since the diningroom(real wood) and family room (laminate) each flow into the kitchen, I just may replace the laminate with vinyl plank flooring, too if I don't use wood look tile. It's a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top