U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,178,921 times

Advertisements

I stumbled onto this a year or so ago... and then I re-looked back at the website and it's still there but not sure if they are still building or are already built out.

Anyone in the Park Cities have a clue? And any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I stumbled onto this a year or so ago... and then I re-looked back at the website and it's still there but not sure if they are still building or are already built out.

Anyone in the Park Cities have ...
Moderator cut: only realtor.com

This- Courtyards @ Normandy. They are basically patio homes; think they have
planned a few dozen homes on the same site where maybe 2 smallish apartment complexes were.

I can tell by your posts that you're a bit all over the place these days. This development is really off the path from where you've been - it's a patio home, so no lawn/yard of your own, just a small private outdoor space and communal pool. It's in the last block by the Tollroad and the 4500 blocks north of Mockingbird are short so you will have noticible Tollroad noise. It's on a street the was developed as multiple-family housing. Many of the original duplexes in the blocks closer to Preston have been combined into single family homes but the last 2 blocks into the Tollroad are still duplexes and small apartment complexes.

IMO, not a location where I'd spend $1M but they do appear to be selling. If someone is desperate for the schools and hell-bent on new construction, I can see why people would buy them, but just remember in the Park Cities (and elsewhere, but especially here where raw cleared land is selling for $150/SF+), the land is what appreciates. These homes won't appreciate as much individually because you don't sit on much land (like 1/8 or 1/6 of a normal sized lot).

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way, but it seems like you're desperate for new custom homes in your price range and are now throwing darts around the metroplex. As I'm sites you've figures out, it isn't as cheap as people think, especially in the sought after areas, and especially in the real estate market we're currently in. You may consider looking at existing, older homes in the locations you do want (Southlake still?) and putting the money into a complete renovation. You would get the location you want and have a couple hundred $$$ left to make it your dream home!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-09-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks again TC -

Yeah, seems like I'm all over the place - but the main locations for me still remain to be SL and or PC. I am also contemplating just saving my money in an account where I can keep pace with inflation and buying a bigger/better home in 5 years - something like a $2M home in PC and putting in half down.

Maybe then I'll be able to get something I really like.

The reason why I'm looking at PC.. is because my job has opened a spot at Parkland Medical Center - and if I work there, it's an easy commute for me and I can pick up more shifts. If I choose to stay in SL area - then the majority of my shifts will be at Flower Mound.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Quote:
Thanks again TC -

Yeah, seems like I'm all over the place - but the main locations for me still remain to be SL and or PC. I am also contemplating just saving my money in an account where I can keep pace with inflation and buying a bigger/better home in 5 years - something like a $2M home in PC and putting in half down.

Maybe then I'll be able to get something I really like.

The reason why I'm looking at PC.. is because my job has opened a spot at Parkland Medical Center - and if I work there, it's an easy commute for me and I can pick up more shifts. If I choose to stay in SL area - then the majority of my shifts will be at Flower Mound.
I think this is your best bet. Some of our friends lived in Preston Hollow for a while until their youngest was about to start K. They purchased and older home in the Park Cities and have torn it down to build new. I believe purchase price on the lot was in the 800's, which would leave you 1.2 to build your dream home. 5,000sqft home at $240 a sqft....seems like a good idea to me! Good luck on these large life decisions.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:50 PM

If you have the ability to work at Parkland, I would consider looking at new/ newer construction in Lakewood. Gorgeous neighborhood & terrain, great close-in location, and a good bit cheaper than Park Cities. You can get a legitimate new custom build for under $1M and not have to go the townhome/ single family attached route like you would need to in Park Cities at your price point.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Lakewood? Do you have tips and places where I should look at? Like custom neighborhoods?

Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Quote:
Lakewood? Do you have tips and places where I should look at? Like custom neighborhoods?
Concentrate on the 75214 zip if you want to send any kids to public. It has one of the best feeders in DISD. Not the entire Zip code feeds though so you will need to also look at the zoning map for schools.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...750000-1500000

Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Lakewood is built out completely but the area to the west of Lakewood Elementary school (streets like Sondra, Vanderbilt, Lake Circle, etc) have been almost entirely rebuilt into new custom homes in the last 5-10 years. There is one little enclave called Vintage Place that is off Bob-O-Link in northern Lakewood. The homes there are beautiful - all new custom homes built in the same styles that Lakewood was originally built (Spanish, Tudor, etc). There are also tear down lots available if you wanted to build your own home and the land is much less expensive than a raw lot in the Park Cities.

To be clear, when I say Lakewood I mean Lakewood proper (northern border Mockingbird, Abrams to the west, Gaston to the south, White Rock Lake to the east) and not the greater East Dallas area sometimes called Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or