U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

3,824 posts, read 3,752,049 times

Advertisements

The creeks criss crossing DFW could have been beautiful in the hands of some governments & developers who cared about nature. Instead they are at best an afterthought and at worst a nusiance.

When I lived in McKinney, there was a beautiful rolling plain/pastureland that was undeveloped behind my house. It was levelled (like stripmined I guess) and filled to build a bunch of houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:38 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,223,340 times
Ive never really realized the disadvantage of being landlocked.....On C-D you would swear its really something serious since its brought up against Dallas all the time....

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,410,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Ive never really realized the disadvantage of being landlocked.....On C-D you would swear its really something serious since its brought up against Dallas all the time....
Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I love the beach more then probably anyone and plan on retiring there, but there are very few US beaches I will even consider when that time comes. Yes there are economical advantages, but this thread is about modern and cleanliness.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM

743 posts, read 1,068,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
New York has an ocean & greenery

Los Angeles has an ocean, mountains, & desert

Chicago has Lake Michigan

Houston has dense piney forests, tropical vegetation, & is on the coast

Philly has an ocean & greenery

Phoenix has a desert

San Antonio has the River Walk and thats about it. I don't remember much of any rolling hills from the view out of Tower of the Americas

San Diego has the beach

Also since when did San Antonio and Phoenix become not land locked?
Philly is not on the ocean people. It's on the Delaware River.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,464,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Houston is pleasing to the eye? I've been there multiple times and nothing there is great to look at.
Parts of it are.

Its certainly a lot greener year round than anywhere in North Texas.

I like the tropical look of the place. Feels like parts of Florida with some SoCal mixed in.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-10-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
New York has an ocean & greenery

Los Angeles has an ocean, mountains, & desert

Chicago has Lake Michigan

Houston has dense piney forests, tropical vegetation, & is on the coast

Philly has an ocean & greenery

Phoenix has a desert

San Antonio has the River Walk and thats about it. I don't remember much of any rolling hills from the view out of Tower of the Americas

San Diego has the beach

Also since when did San Antonio and Phoenix become not land locked?
They are land locked.

I said Dallas is by far the largest land locked city of the bunch which is a true statement.

You missed a good portion of SA then...the whole northern half of the city sits in the Hill Country & offers some absolutely stunning views overlooking the city.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The creeks criss crossing DFW could have been beautiful in the hands of some governments & developers who cared about nature. Instead they are at best an afterthought and at worst a nusiance.

When I lived in McKinney, there was a beautiful rolling plain/pastureland that was undeveloped behind my house. It was levelled (like stripmined I guess) and filled to build a bunch of houses.
Same thing is happening in Forney off Highway 80. Those rolling pastures are being razed for more McMansions & strip malls. Traffic is worse than ever along that stretch of roadway.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,223,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
They are land locked.

I said Dallas is by far the largest land locked city of the bunch which is a true statement.

You missed a good portion of SA then...the whole northern half of the city sits in the Hill Country & offers some absolutely stunning views overlooking the city.
Here it is again!!.Why is this so important?....WHO GIVES A F***!!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I'd much rather have an ocean & a few lakes at my backdoor over many lakes, but that's just me.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM

5,304 posts, read 7,259,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Parts of it are.

Its certainly a lot greener year round than anywhere in North Texas.

I like the tropical look of the place. Feels like parts of Florida with some SoCal mixed in.
Florida and SoCal? If Flordia and SoCal looks like that then I don't wanna go.

Last edited by Dallaz; 04-10-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or