U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,707,228 times

Advertisements

Glad to see at least some of the historic old facility will be used!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM

23,641 posts, read 31,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Nope. It's a longstanding federal law that if people show up in need of urgent care they get it no matter what.
It's infuriating isn't it...the northern suburban counties refuse to build the proper facitilites because they shove their indigent off on Dallas, and us the taxpayers.

Maybe we should collectively sue Collin County.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,248,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
Glad to see at least some of the historic old facility will be used!
I don't think Parkland is a historic structure. The only part that will be used is the 80s portion of the building.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM

552 posts, read 737,075 times
I'm curious what legal grounds Parkland would have to compel Collin County to pay for its freeloaders. It seems so unfair. Is ObamaCare going to affect this at all?

Speaking of unfair, there's something not quite right about immigrating to a new country, then immediately taking advantage of its welfare/charity dollars, as suggested in the examples cited in these articles:

http://healthlawblog.blogspot.com/pa...wing_tired.pdf
Parkland plays hardball

"Officials say the first patients who have been prosecuted share common backgrounds – most of them are middle-class, small business owners from Middle Eastern countries. They live in neighboring counties but claimed to live in Dallas County, sometimes using a business address as a home address. Several of the defendants are related or know each other, and investigators said they learned from their ethnic communities how to get into Parkland without paying."

Theoretically the "public charge" provision of immigration laws is supposed to take care of that issue, but Jeff Sessions is the only person in Washington who seems to care.

USDA/Mexican consulates to immigrants: Don't worry, food stamps won't affect citizenship chances | The Daily Caller
Non-citizens on food stamps: Sen. Sessions wants answers | The Daily Caller

What's going to be the combined impact of immigration reform and health care reform on Parkland's fiscal picture? It seems like that would be an important issue to cover.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/ny...er=rss&emc=rss
Hospitals may absorb $26 million annually in care for undocumented : Ventura County Star
L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants | Fox News
$35 million in emergency healthcare spent on illegal aliens in Massachusetts alone - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com
Illegal aliens cost California hospitals more than $1 billion annually - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,175,088 times
I'm not a Dallas County resident, but say that someone in another county is in a serious car accident and the first responders can't find any proof of health insurance. Don't they automatically send that person to Parkland? Is that how it works?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,461,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm not a Dallas County resident, but say that someone in another county is in a serious car accident and the first responders can't find any proof of health insurance. Don't they automatically send that person to Parkland? Is that how it works?
Yes because it's one of only a few level 1 trauma centers in North Texas.
Ward testifies in Austin hearing on Parkland merger bill

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM

3,169 posts, read 4,845,805 times
Quote:
Yes because it's one of only a few level 1 trauma centers in North Texas.
This. It has nothing to do with insurance. That is why the Miami cop who was stabbed by the inmate they were transporting in Grapevine was taken to Parkland even though Baylor Grapevine was almost within walking distance.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,175,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
This. It has nothing to do with insurance. That is why the Miami cop who was stabbed by the inmate they were transporting in Grapevine was taken to Parkland even though Baylor Grapevine was almost within walking distance.
So if someone is in a moderate car wreck, maybe requires immediate surgery but will survive, they will be taken to a local hospital even if they have no insurance?

I'm just curious because my step-brother was in a major car accident several years ago, and he was taken to Parkland instead of one of the local hospitals (he lives in Wylie). When he got to Parkland my parents were notified and the billing people at Parkland immediately asked if he had insurance because they couldn't find any ID cards on him (he did have insurance). I wasn't sure if he was taken there because of the seriousness of the accident or because they didn't know if he was insured.

The one time I went to Parkland it was definitely...interesting. I spent a lot more time than I ever wanted to at Plano Medical Center and those two are so far apart it's not even funny. At Parkland there was no waiting room for family of those in ICU, so we had to sit in the hallways. The waiting rooms were all full of people coming into the ER with the flu, broken bones, etc. One of the nurse's even gave us her code to use the locked employee bathroom because my mother was approached by a woman in the bathroom who tried to take her purse.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:53 PM

19,663 posts, read 53,768,284 times
Hospitals are given a level to indicate the severity of cases they can handle. Parkland is a Level I trauma center, meaning 24/7/365 they are staffed to handle anything that comes in. Level II hospitals can handle most but NOT all, then there's Level III and maybe Level IV. You get taken to the nearest hospital that can handle your issue. Insurance has nothing to do with it until you are stable enough to be transferred.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,707,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I don't think Parkland is a historic structure. The only part that will be used is the 80s portion of the building.
Bummer! I hoped some or all of the structure as it existed at the time of the JFK drama could be re-purposed somehow (maybe it is and I don't realize it?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or