U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 14,995 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'll be moving up to Dallas at the end of May and need some help w/ the Oaklawn area.

I have to admit, I'm pretty picky about the apartment complex I live in-- I prefer relatively new apartments in the $1300 price range. Originally, I was looking at the Uptown area but a lot of those apartments are older ...or the newer ones are out of my price range.

I found a couple of complexes in the Oaklawn area that are pretty new and reasonable priced... can you guys tell me about the area? I'm a single female and prefer to walk vs drive to most places.

(1) 2626Wycliff Apts on 2626 Wycliff Ave.
(2) Ilume on 4123 Cedar Springs Ave.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,922 times
Those 2 apartment buildings are both really nice. Just to let you know the Ilume is very gay!

I use to live at the Ilume and I'm gay and loved the amenities and living there, but it definitely has a very large percentage of gay male residents. It's right across the street from a Kroger, and they have restaurants on the ground level of the building. Ilume Park is going up fast right across the street from the main building, and you will be able to use both buildings amenities once it's completed! The Ilume is more walkable than 2929 wycliff. Both are great though!

Good luck on the move!

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-09-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM

291 posts, read 574,741 times
Having lived at or stayed at both of the places, here are my thoughts and observations.

2929 Wycliff - The walk from the buildings there to Cedar Springs at night is very dark and not well lit. Security isn't that great and there seems to be a lot of residents just throwing their garbage around the halls and staircases. Many instances of dog poo on the carpets in the hallways as well. It's a shame because the place is nice but the residents don't seem to be top notch and the walls are thin.

Ilume - Much friendlier environment. Lots of events for residents. Great office staff. Great gym and pool and even a tanning bed! Fitness classes are great. The apartments themselves are great. Convenient to everything and I always felt safe. Neighbors were great except for one that moved in towards the end of my time there who liked to play loud techno and house music at all hours of the night during the week. Walls here are thin as well since I used to hear entire conversations from his apartment while we were sleeping. However, the neighbors before were a youngish couple and I never heard them or their dog. There were lots of other hetero couples, including some with children, who lived there while we lived there and so it's not an issue. I was a single female when I moved in there and felt I definitely got more bang for my buck there than at other area apts like Wycliff.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,255,059 times
I have a friend at 2929 who's thinking about moving out because of the issues mentioned by a previous poser in terms of neighbors not being very friendly and/or not caring about their surroundings. Of the two, I'd opt for Ilume.

Also, if your heart isn't set on either of those, you might look on the other side of Lemmon, closer to the Highland Park border. It's less hectic and noisy (though still close enough to the bars on Cedar Springs or in Uptown) and there are some new-ish condos where some of the units are for rent/lease. But you might have to drive around to find them.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,995 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,609,087 times
Wanna know what ILUME REALLY stands for? I Love Using Meth Everyday!

Last edited by TXTwizter; 04-12-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM

12 posts, read 25,316 times
LOL!! I know this was posted a year ago - but thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or