U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,426 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are moving from a Boston suburb to the Dallas area for my DH's job this summer with our DS (entering 9th) and DD (entering 5th). Our DS will be attending private school in North Dallas (near DNTP and 635 intersection). My DH's job is also in North Dallas near the intersection of Forest and 75.

We need a town with very good public schools for our DD while keeping our son's commute to a minimum. We understand that the Park Cities fit that bill, but a 4 bedroom home (ideally with a pool) is out of our price range (1.2M tops) there. West Plano keeps popping up as a community with great schools and good quality of life. We are a friendly, open minded, active family who value education and a community minded spirit. Our son plays soccer and would like to take up golf. Our DD is into gymnastics, lacrosse, dance, drama, and cheerleading (I know we haven't seen anything here that compares to TX Cheerleading!). I am a stay at home mom looking for volunteer opportunities in the schools and with the senior population. I, too, would like to try my hand at golf. My DH is a bit of a "foodie.". We all LOVE to ski, but understand that involves a plane trip. We ski every weekend here, so we will be trading quantity for quality on that front! I am very curious as to the "vibe" in West Plano and if you think it is a good fit for our family.

I do have one question about West Plano schools: They seem to do an excellent job with and cater to the best & brightest students, but how does the average student fare? Our daughter, who is extremely outgoing, hardworking and liked by her teachers & peers, struggles a bit academically. She does not have a LD, but academics do not come easy to her. She works hard, but needs additional support. For instance, in her school here, she was able to participate in an after school math club for students who were having a difficult time with the subject. We also supplement with some private tutoring. My concern is that she will get lost or overlooked in the West Plano schools? Your thoughts?

Does West Plano sound like a good fit for our family or should we consider other communities. If so, which ones? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be heading to Dallas for a house hunting trip at the beginning of May and would like to narrow things down before then.

We are really looking forward to this move and the adventure it holds for us. We know TX living may be different than life in the Northeast, but that is all part of the fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
West Plano is the "it" place right now. OMG, you have an average student. Kudos to you.....you are the first person to post here that has admitted to having a child who is not an academic star!! I keep wondering how everyone can possibly have kids in the top 10% of their classes.

West Plano sounds like a very good fit for you. Also NE Richardson.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Given the location of your son's school and husband's job, you might want to consider Richardson. It also has outstanding schools but they are smaller than schools in Plano so your daughter may be able to get more individual attention. Check out the areas that feed J.J. Pearce high school, zip codes 75248 (Dallas) and 75080 (Richardson).

Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
West Plano is the "it" place right now. OMG, you have an average student. Kudos to you.....you are the first person to post here that has admitted to having a child who is not an academic star!! I keep wondering how everyone can possibly have kids in the top 10% of their classes.

West Plano sounds like a very good fit for you. Also NE Richardson.
NE Richardson to 635/DNT every morning would be a beating and a half!

Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,426 times
Thank you for the quick replies!

Swirl - LOL! She has recently clued into the fact that she is perfectly average in school. We assure her that although her education is an important factor to success, things like her charisma, leadership, work ethic, and sense of humor will take her very far in life. She is a hot ticket and one sweet girl!

BigDGeek - Thank you for the Richardson zip codes. Coming from Massachusetts, where school districts are determined by a town's boundary (if you live in the town of Hingham, you go to Hingham schools), it's a little confusing and overwhelming trying to figure out the Dallas area school districts.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtomando View Post
Thank you for the quick replies!

Swirl - LOL! She has recently clued into the fact that she is perfectly average in school. We assure her that although her education is an important factor to success, things like her charisma, leadership, work ethic, and sense of humor will take her very far in life. She is a hot ticket and one sweet girl!

BigDGeek - Thank you for the Richardson zip codes. Coming from Massachusetts, where school districts are determined by a town's boundary (if you live in the town of Hingham, you go to Hingham schools), it's a little confusing and overwhelming trying to figure out the Dallas area school districts.
It can be confusing for us too! There's a large section of Dallas, mainly north of 635, that is hardly zoned to Dallas ISD schools at all. They go to Richardson and Plano schools, though I'm sure someone will chime in if I've left an ISD off the list.

Basically the districts operate independently of the city, and when house-hunting you should double and triple check not only which ISD you are in, but which schools you're assigned to. ISD boundaries don't change, but school attendance boundaries with an ISD do...especially in fast-growing areas like Frisco. In well-established areas like Richardson, Dallas, Plano, etc. they don't change very often and even when they do, they usually grandfather your kid in.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM

47 posts, read 61,962 times
I live in Richardson but its not the ideal place to buy a million dollar home. You can look into Highland Park or West Plano. HP is expensive but you can get a nice home in PISD. Both districts provide daily tutorials and advisory classes for students who need help, my room mate is a counselor in a PISD middle school and speaks highly of their programs for special, gifted, ESL and academically challenged students.

http://m.realtor.com/#results?loc=Highland%20Park,TX

http://m.realtor.com/#results?loc=Pl...view_mode=list

http://m.realtor.com/#results?loc=Richardson,TX

There are two beautiful million dollar homes available in Richardson, there is one more which feeds to Plano schools.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,570,247 times
If she is an average student in Boston, you may be pleasantly surprised by where she ranks in Texas schools.
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/

Why not enroll your daughter in the private school where she will receive more individual guidance and support with a curriculum geared more toward her strengths and enroll your son in the top rated public school? Every public school caters to the best and brightest students.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM

47 posts, read 61,962 times
Good private schools don't even accept average students, unless you have right connections or million dollars to donate.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastopia View Post
I live in Richardson but its not the ideal place to buy a million dollar home. You can look into Highland Park or West Plano. HP is expensive but you can get a nice home in PISD.

There are two beautiful million dollar homes available in Richardson, there is one more which feeds to Plano schools.
It's not, but your money goes further real estate-wise in Richardson than it does in west Plano or the Park Cities. There's no rule that says you must spend x amount of dollars simply because you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or