Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM

15 posts, read 28,278 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a few different professional opportunities, all require a move. We have some extended - very extended - family all around Texas, but not super familiar with the Dallas area We are both 40, with 2 small boys, a dog and cat. We would ideally make a move this summer after the school year ends. I would love to hear about what you thinks makes Dallas great, as well as some more specific information on the following:

1. SCHOOLS!! - our boys will be in 3rd and preK in the fall. My older son thrives in an academically challenging environment (he's been tested as gifted, but doesn't know it). He's been in private school since the beginning and we really like a traditional school setting that puts some emphasis on academics, as well as moral and character development. My little guy has been in a private preschool setting for 2.5 years, but doesn't appear to have the higher intelligence level of his brother (that sounds horrid coming from a mom, but from this is strictly an academic comparison.). He is 4, can say his abc's count to 15, etc, but doesn't know how to write and still has difficulty drawing shapes on paper.

2. Neighborhoods - we really want to make sure we make some friends, which can be difficult at our age and life stage. It would be nice to find a neighborhood where kids still play outside, neighbors still want to know one another. That being said, we would be looking for 4-5 bedroom house. We have an au pair who lives with us who needs her own bed/bath so and extra en-suite would be great. My kids also love to be outside, tossing the lax ball with each other and our dog, playing on swings or digging in the dirt, so a yard (even a small yard) would be ideal.

3. Activities for the kids - my kids are active!! My little guy LOVES sports and being physical. My older one likes these too, but also loves museums, the science center, aquarium (just examples). Are there places that the kids can get involved in these things? My big guy plays hockey, lax, wants to play football and is also a Cub Scout, so info on this would be nice, too.

4. Activities for adults - we both do triathlons, are there some good groups around? We also like to golf, tennis, shop, go out to eat. We belong to a nice country club and would look to join a new one. Volunteer organizations for me to get involved.

What else should I know about Dallas?

I really appreciate any and all information you might be willing to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Depending on budget it sounds like either Preston Hollow or the Park Cities would work well for you.

1. Preston Hollow: Private; Park Cities: Private or Public
2. I'm not as familiar with Preston Hollow, but the Park Cities Neighborhoods are wonderfully active and filled with kids.
4. Run On and Luke's Locker both have running clubs that meet quite often for different leveled runners. There are a lot of great country clubs around Preston Hollow and the Park Cities including Dallas Country Club, Royal Oaks, etc.

Having a budget would help, and also if you all new the location you would be employed may help narrow down the location as well. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
All of what you are looking for can be found in the DFW area. Just depends on your budget and where your office location(s) will be.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 28,278 times
I just looked it up, they call it north Dallas. It looks to be a stone's throw from Addison airport.

I'm not sure what cost of living is like there, but I'm assuming a budget of 1.2 - 2.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM

With that budget, you can either get an average house in University Park/Highland Park(both HPISD, highest rated public in North Texas) or a nice house in Preston Hollow(would want to send to private). I think with that budget you would get a little more house and land in Preston Hollow.

If you're comfortable with public schools, I would choose UP/HP. It's an EXTREMELY safe area, great dining and shopping, community, big into sports(including lacrosse) and the Fire/Police response times are the best around. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfam4 View Post
I just looked it up, they call it north Dallas. It looks to be a stone's throw from Addison airport.

I'm not sure what cost of living is like there, but I'm assuming a budget of 1.2 - 2.
I echo bencronin's suggestion of the Park Cities, which are the towns of University Park and Highland Park who jointly share Highland Park ISD schools. Excellent location - about 5-10 minutes north of downtown Dallad and about 10-15 minutes south of Addison. Extremely safe - and with police & fire squads referred to as "on demand" (ie, ambulance/ police response times in the 60-120 second range and a security system that plugs your home system directly into the town's police station. Fabulous schools - either the #1 or 2 public system in the entire state of Texas. All teachers have master's within their first 5 years of teaching, many AP/ Honors teachers have PhD's in their field. 20% of the land was set aside as park space to wherever you live, it's never more than a few blocks from a park, playground, soccer field, tennis courts, ponds/ creeks, etc. Both cities have their own public pools which resemble waterparks more than a swimming pool!

It has a "Norman Rockwell" vibe of kids playing freely in the front yards and neighborhood parks, neighbors who bring newcomers cookies, annual block parties, a July 4th parade, and a stellar high school football team the whole community comes out to watch & cheer for on Friday nights.

Snider Plaza in UP is a darling little "main street" shopping center complete with a 1950's style breakfast & fried chicken place (Bubba's) and an authentic German grocery store & restaurant (Kuby's). HP has the first open air shopping center in the US (Highland Park Village, built 1930) that is home to super high-end retailers like Chanel, Tom Ford, and Christian Louboutin. There's a Starbucks and a movie theatre for the "normal" people there, too

Average home price is around $1.2M. Your budget is definitely in the "sweet spot" for the Park Cities. The real estate market is very competitive now (all over Dallas, really) so you'll need an expert insider to guide you through your purchase. The tax bills are high but the actual property tax rates in HP/UP are among the lowest in DFW. About 1.8-2% of appraised value after the full 20% homestead exemption is accounted for.

Search 75205 and 75225 for homes and make sure you are only looking at homes in HPISD as some of Dallas ISD is in those zips, too.

Sure, you could look elsewhere in the DFW area, but if you can afford the best, you should live there!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfam4 View Post
My husband and I are considering a few different professional opportunities, all require a move. We have some extended - very extended - family all around Texas, but not super familiar with the Dallas area We are both 40, with 2 small boys, a dog and cat. We would ideally make a move this summer after the school year ends. I would love to hear about what you thinks makes Dallas great, as well as some more specific information on the following:

1. SCHOOLS!! - our boys will be in 3rd and preK in the fall. My older son thrives in an academically challenging environment (he's been tested as gifted, but doesn't know it). He's been in private school since the beginning and we really like a traditional school setting that puts some emphasis on academics, as well as moral and character development. My little guy has been in a private preschool setting for 2.5 years, but doesn't appear to have the higher intelligence level of his brother (that sounds horrid coming from a mom, but from this is strictly an academic comparison.). He is 4, can say his abc's count to 15, etc, but doesn't know how to write and still has difficulty drawing shapes on paper.

2. Neighborhoods - we really want to make sure we make some friends, which can be difficult at our age and life stage. It would be nice to find a neighborhood where kids still play outside, neighbors still want to know one another. That being said, we would be looking for 4-5 bedroom house. We have an au pair who lives with us who needs her own bed/bath so and extra en-suite would be great. My kids also love to be outside, tossing the lax ball with each other and our dog, playing on swings or digging in the dirt, so a yard (even a small yard) would be ideal.

3. Activities for the kids - my kids are active!! My little guy LOVES sports and being physical. My older one likes these too, but also loves museums, the science center, aquarium (just examples). Are there places that the kids can get involved in these things? My big guy plays hockey, lax, wants to play football and is also a Cub Scout, so info on this would be nice, too.

4. Activities for adults - we both do triathlons, are there some good groups around? We also like to golf, tennis, shop, go out to eat. We belong to a nice country club and would look to join a new one. Volunteer organizations for me to get involved.

What else should I know about Dallas?

I really appreciate any and all information you might be willing to share!

To answer some of your more specific questions,

1. For PreK - University Park United Methodist Church and Highland Park Presbyterian Church run two of the best preschool programs in the Park Cities. Start there.

2. Kids activities- Lacrosse is HUGE in the Park Cities. There are two varsity teams now, to show you how big the demand is! Younger kids typically start sports in the Park Cities YMCA leagues and as they get older, they get "picked off" by chamber and select teams. Boy Scouts troops are easy to find; believe several Park Cities churches are "home base" for the troops. Younger kids do Y Guides with their dads through the Park Cities YMCA. The Perot Museum of Nature & Science is downtown and it has lots of kids activities. There are also many summer camps such as the sports camps the HP student athletes put on for younger kids, Vacation Bible School at Highland Park Presby and Park Cities Baptist churches. For your older son, might want to look into the more popular sleep away camps such as Kanakuk in Missouri or Camp Longhorn near Austin.

3. For you & your husband, there are tons of opportunities to get involved with your kids schools (auctions & carnivals to put on, PTA committees, in-room or cafeteria volunteers, etc). Dads also coach the younger kids' sports teams.
I'm no athlete, but my friend's husband does triathalons and trains full time in Dallas so I'm sure there are plenty of groups to join!
For county clubs, Dallas Country Club is in HP and is the most exclusive. It also has a 10+ year wait list so don't count on it unless your hubby is a CEO. Royal Oaks and Northwood clubs are both in north Dallas (about 10-15 minutes away) and are very nice, too. Northwood is prettier but Royal Oaks has clay tennis courts! There you will find ladies' tennis groups and other activities and I'm sure your name would come up soon-ish as a relocating executive.

For you, Junior League of Dallas is a great way to meet people and get plugged in for volunteering. You can transfer membership from another league or join in Dallas (if you're under 40). There are also multiple organizations that are popular to volunteer at (and VERY well run) such as Children's Medical Center, Scottish Rite, Ronald McDonald House, Children's Advocacy Center, Community Partners of Dallas, Genesis Women's Shelter, Voice of Hope, etc.

For restaurants, oh, there are SO many good ones and so many fun neighborhoods to explore. From the Bishops Arts District (Bolsa, Boulevardier, Tillman's) to the Design District (PakPao, Oak) to Lovers & Inwood (Shinsei, Neighborhood Services) to Knox-Henderson (Hibiscus, Sissy's)....you won't go hungry in Dallas!!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Search 75205 and 75225 for homes and make sure you are only looking at homes in HPISD as some of Dallas ISD is in those zips, too.
Great point made there as well. Below is the district boundary. Also do not expect this to change....ever, LOL. If

http://www.hpisd.org/Portals/0/docs/.../hpisd_map.pdf

If you're looking for an experienced Realtor in the Park Cities area let me know and I can DM you some info.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:27 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
These guys hit it on the head. I would suggest renting in the park cities for one year and seeing if you like it. The top private schools are generally considered "better" than HPISD, but that is no slam on HPISD which is an awesome school district. Moreover, you can always live in HPISD and send your kids to private schools- many parents do this. For example, send your oldest to St. Marks (the best school in the city) and your youngest to HPISD. That happens all of the time and there is no stigma associated with it.

As for clubs, Northwood and Royal Oaks are good suggestions. Royal Oaks golf course is closed as they are doing a complete redo of the greens and sand traps. Both are expensive, but that is normal in Dallas.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Another vote for park cities. We moved here a year ago, same approximate ages (kids and parents) and wish list and it is a great area. Plenty of triathlon resources - runs, rides, and indoor and outdoor masters swimming nearby too. Feel free to PM if you want more specific info. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas